S Chris Tavarez (leg)

OUT FOR SEASON

TE Jack Farrell (leg)

WR Blair Holliday

DE Allen Jackson (shoulder)

S Corbin McCarthy (shoulder)

S Taylor Sowell (leg)

Ouch.

Good thing we have developed some depth over the last few years. We have some good players that have opportunities to step up.

Go Duke!

Questionable....

is another way of still saying that we know nothing. Cut's still playing games here I think - Renfree could already be considered almost certain to play or not even close, and Virginia has no clue.

I just wish I had a clue.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    is another way of still saying that we know nothing. Cut's still playing games here I think - Renfree could already be considered almost certain to play or not even close, and Virginia has no clue.

I just wish I had a clue.
    Cut did say Tuesday that some of these would be game-time decisions, even suggesting that the 3 o'clock kickoff was better than a noon kickoff for this reason. I suspect it actually may be that fine a line.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Cut did say Tuesday that some of these would be game-time decisions, even suggesting that the 3 o'clock kickoff was better than a noon kickoff for this reason. I suspect it actually may be that fine a line.
    If it were to be that close, I'd think the coaches would start Renfree and see how feels and does. If he is hurting too much, or ineffective due to the injury, they can easily bring in Boone to finish out the game.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    If it were to be that close, I'd think the coaches would start Renfree and see how feels and does. If he is hurting too much, or ineffective due to the injury, they can easily bring in Boone to finish out the game.
    The other interesting question, which will certainly not be answered, is what is the breakdown of the first-team reps in practice this week? Knowing the answer to that question would answer the issue.

The other variable here is Connette. He's been banged up more than a bit. If Renfree can't go, then Duke may not want to play Connette at non-QB positions any more than necessary.

injuries

The real disappointment for me is the presence of Braxton on the out list ... he's been a great run-defender from safety. Actually, our pass coverage may improve a bit if that means Foster is in the starting secondary, but we lost against the run.

The other disappointment is the slow recovery of Jamal Bruce ... a month ago I was hearing optimistic stuff about how he'd be back by the end of the September. Now, no hint that he's even close to coming back.

As for Connette ... good to see he's not on the list at all this week after being questionable a week ago. I agree with Jim -- while Connette can help a lot of places, he's most valuable as a short-yardage quarterback.

I would have to think that given that questionable is not out, and that it is a later start time, and that Cut has said Renfree has been at least out on the practice field and not in the training room every waking second, that unless he gets worse he will play. This is a huge game for Duke and Renfree is in his senior season so unless, as Cut says, he is not safe to play or would hurt the team by playing, I'd be willing to bet he plays. Though I'm not a betting man and have never really been that optimistic; so perhaps its a sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    The real disappointment for me is the presence of Braxton on the out list ... he's been a great run-defender from safety. Actually, our pass coverage may improve a bit if that means Foster is in the starting secondary, but we lost against the run.

The other disappointment is the slow recovery of Jamal Bruce ... a month ago I was hearing optimistic stuff about how he'd be back by the end of the September. Now, no hint that he's even close to coming back.

As for Connette ... good to see he's not on the list at all this week after being questionable a week ago. I agree with Jim -- while Connette can help a lot of places, he's most valuable as a short-yardage quarterback.
    It's hard for me to think of a parallel for what Duke has gone through this season at the safety position. Cash's appeal to play this season was denied. Sowell-out for the season. McCarthy-out for the season. Tavarez-out for a long time, maybe out for the season. Campbell leaves the team. Byas misses the first three games after surgery. Young-Wiseman was hurt early. Now Braxton.

Duke is down to four healthy, recruited safeties with college experience. Two of them--Canty and Byas--are playing at a high level. But I'm not sure either Young-Wiseman or Norman should be starters and one of them has to be. Rider and Bristow are walk-ons, valuable practice players but most walk-ons are walk-ons for a reason.

Assuming Butler plays, Duke has five healthy corners, Butler, Cockrell, Foster, Burton and Patterson. Keep in mind, Duke likes to use three safeties and two corners. So, I would expect to see some corners playing safety Saturday. There just aren't enough safeties.

Duke has switched to three corners in obvious passing situations. Foster did tell us Tuesday that he's been practicing at safety and feels like he can fill in there. But he's awfully slight for a safety.

FWIW, Duke has two recruited freshmen DBs who haven't played yet, safety Michael Westray and corner Devon Edwards. You would hate to burn a redshirt this deep into the season but you also would hate to lose a chance to get to a bowl game.

And please, please, please keep Connette as far away from safety as possible. The risk/reward ratio seems way skewed towards risk.

The other variable here is Connette. He's been banged up more than a bit. If Renfree can't go, then Duke may not want to play Connette at non-QB positions any more than necessary.
    Yep, that DB position for us this year is a real injury prone one.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    The other interesting question, which will certainly not be answered, is what is the breakdown of the first-team reps in practice this week? Knowing the answer to that question would answer the issue.
    According to the Herald-Sun, Boone did get the majority of reps in practice this week:

http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_s...-for-Saturday?

So, I suspect that Renfree's injuries are indeed serious enough that this is a true game-time decision. My guess is that Renfree starts.

Cutcliffe does a great job of revealing basically nothing when it comes to injuries. I guess he prefers keeping our opponents guessing. But I do expect Renfree to start for some reason...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Cutcliffe does a great job of revealing basically nothing when it comes to injuries. I guess he prefers keeping our opponents guessing. But I do expect Renfree to start for some reason...
    Que Willis Reed.

Any word on Renfree for today? Anthony Boone's very solid performances notwithstanding, I think playing without Renfree would be a serious blow to our chances.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Any word on Renfree for today? Anthony Boone's very solid performances notwithstanding, I think playing without Renfree would be a serious blow to our chances.
    Well, maybe not!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

While we're in this thread, it didn't look like anyone who played this game had to leave with injury, did it? Another great bonus if true.

I know guys like Canty and Butler were basically play injured and still need to recover, but hopefully today was a step in the right direction injury-wise as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    While we're in this thread, it didn't look like anyone who played this game had to leave with injury, did it? Another great bonus if true.

I know guys like Canty and Butler were basically play injured and still need to recover, but hopefully today was a step in the right direction injury-wise as well.
    Cut said after the game that some guys left with cramps.

He also said that Renfree could have played but that he thought the risk of aggravating the elbow was too great. He also left no doubt that Renfree would start next week if sufficiently healthy.

Cut said after the game that some guys left with cramps.

He also said that Renfree could have played but that he thought the risk of aggravating the elbow was too great. He also left no doubt that Renfree would start next week if sufficiently healthy.
    I don't see how anyone could call it any other way.

Boone had a very good game, yes, but he was "only" 18-31...and was very close to picks on a couple occasions along with several overthrown balls. No doubt he is going to take the reigns for the next two years, and his 4 TD performance was great, but he still has work to do to become near the level of renfree, who has yet to have a game this year with a <70% completion rate...

either way, great experience for boone, this team will be in good hands when renfree steps aside
    1200. DDMF.

If not mentioned already, UVa was 4/16 on 3rd down conversions and 0/3 on fourth down attempts.

Very impressive.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.