Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    We dominated both sides of the line of scrimmage in the first quarter. Got beat up after that, both ways on the line. Ugh.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Sometimes I am guilty of oversimplifying things, but a team cannot expect to win when they cannot run the ball. Our net rushing was 22 yards yesterday. Renfree was sacked five times for 38 yards so add those back in and we have 60 yards. Our offense is one dimensional.

Conner Vernon catches that ball at the end of the half 99 out of 100 times. Jamison Crowder misses a touchdown by a couple of inches. Those two plays go the other way and Duke might have won.

The halftime score should have been 23-10 or 27-10. Oh well...shoulda, woulda, coulda...I hope the guys can move on.
    The halftime score really should have been at a minimum 30-7, possibly more. Both interceptions were poor execution on Duke's part, there were two overthrows on plays where receivers were 2 steps behind the defender, and they came on two different series. Execute on 3 of those 4 plays and Duke wins. Very winnable game. As DD stated, the sequence at the end of the game was brutal. Never has momentum shifted so drastically so quickly. It sealed the fate, and rocked the confidence of Duke. I blame the second half solely on a deflated, shell-shocked team. I disagree strongly that it was superior size and athletic ability of the opponent. Hogwash.

It would also have helped to have available all of our injured guys, but that is another story.

Parting shot: The hit on Renfree was the typical VPI dirty play we have seen over the years up there. Renfree slid, was already down and in a vulnerable condition, and got creamed to the head. Should have been a flag. One of these days karma will come around...

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Throwing to Blakeney way too much. The 2nd half team looks like a Duke team from 5-10 years ago.
    Blakeney seems like a great athlete, but not a great receiver. Like to see him on defense, where we need more athletes.
    Just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    I blame the second half solely on a deflated, shell-shocked team. I disagree strongly that it was superior size and athletic ability of the opponent. Hogwash.
    I call your "hogwash" and raise you a "mule muffins". The game had already turned well before those two plays at the end of the second half; those were just the icing on the cake. Go back and watch that whole second quarter again. You will see the Duke quarterback harried consistently because the O-line could not block the Hokie rushers, and you will see the D-line get moved back time and again. The play in that second quarter was not as hugely off-sided as it became in the second half, but the writing was on the wall starting with that first VT touchdown at the end of the first quarter. I'll grant you that the second half was not representative of Duke play, but the play after our pick-six showed me that there is still a gap between the Hokies' football capabilities and ours.

A picture is worth a thousand words

Laura Keeley says Jamison Crowder was inbounds and offers a picture as proof:

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/sites/...LR.St.156.jpeg

Oh well, spilt milk...
    Bob Green

Oh well, spilt milk...
    I thought it looked awful close on replay, and wonder if higher quality replay cameras (that showed less blurry images in frame by frame) might have made the review go in my favor. I was certainly surprised it was "Call Confirmed" as opposed to "Call Stands."

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I thought it looked awful close on replay, and wonder if higher quality replay cameras (that showed less blurry images in frame by frame) might have made the review go in my favor. I was certainly surprised it was "Call Confirmed" as opposed to "Call Stands."
    they mean the same thing from the ref's perspective, and even the picture that was posted is close enough that it might not be "indisputable" enough to overturn the call
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    they mean the same thing from the ref's perspective, and even the picture that was posted is close enough that it might not be "indisputable" enough to overturn the call
    I forget where I read (or heard) this, but my understanding was that Call Stands meant there was not enough evidence to overturn whereas Call Confirmed meant the video showed that the correct call was made. That could be completely wrong though.

I forget where I read (or heard) this, but my understanding was that Call Stands meant there was not enough evidence to overturn whereas Call Confirmed meant the video showed that the correct call was made. That could be completely wrong though.
    That is definitely what they do in the NFL, but I'm not sure about college.

oh, hm. you may be right. I thought that the ref just said whatever they felt like that day

the NFL rulebook, at least, just says
    A decision will be reversed only when the Referee has Indisputable visual evidence available to him that warrants the change.
    But, the NCAA says

1. If the video evidence confirms the on-field ruling:
    “After further review, the ruling on the field is confirmed.”
    2. If there is no indisputable (conclusive) evidence to reverse the on-field
    ruling:
    “After further review, the ruling on the field stands."
    so, you're completely correct! now, whether refs actually adhere to those standards...who knows...since in terms of the game, the outcome is the same.
    1200. DDMF.

I thought he was pretty clearly on the line while watching on TV. Don't think it would have mattered in the grand scheme of things.

Time to focus on stopping Gio, because that's going to be really tough.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Blakeney seems like a great athlete, but not a great receiver. Like to see him on defense, where we need more athletes.
    Just my .02
    I agree wholeheartely here. Just as (or perhaps more importantly) important as his ability to catch the ball, he seems to be out of sync or just flate out in the wrong place often. He's clearly one of our best pure athletes and I would think he could really star just about anywhere on defense, safety, linebacker, rush defensive end. Pretty obvious that we could use more pressive on the QB. Make no mistake - when he catches the ball, he's a force and he could be great on jump ball-type passes, but those scenarious are not happening frequently. Moreover, we have Reeves and Schneider at TE whereas we are decimated on defense with injuriers. Usual caveat applies - none of us are at practice and the coached tried him once already on defense. I really would love to see what he could do as a rush DE. He's about the size of Peppers as a freshman and looks like he should put on 20-30 pounds easily.

I also agree with Newton on the dirty hit on Renfree. You could argue about whether it was late, but it clearly was an illegal hit to the head, which happened right in front of the ref, the umpire and both side judges. How did they miss that call? The fact tha they missed it does not mean that it wasn't a dirty place and reminded me immediately of the late hit on Thad a few years ago. The conference should take some action. I saw Cut pointing to his head after the place as he was barking at the officials. I hope is presses the issue with the conference. I wondered after that about Renfree. He did not seem the same again.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell

Oh well, spilt milk...
    I can't tell definitively with that picture, and look at the ref. he was in absolutely perfect position to make the call. At some point, we need to go back to trust the refs when they're exactly where they're supposed to be. Replays are For when the ref doesn't have a good angle, or something that isn't clear to the eye...a fumble in a scrum, for instance.

(I also thought the video replays showed that he was OOB.)

You know that we have arrived as a FB school when DBR is "shut down" for 12-18 hours after a tough loss.

And BTW, I'm with Newton_14 and another poster or two from above. The hit to Renfree was late and particularly dirty considering it really appeared it was to the head. Memories of Thad Lewis.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Sometimes I am guilty of oversimplifying things, but a team cannot expect to win when they cannot run the ball. Our net rushing was 22 yards yesterday. Renfree was sacked five times for 38 yards so add those back in and we have 60 yards. Our offense is one dimensional.

Conner Vernon catches that ball at the end of the half 99 out of 100 times. Jamison Crowder misses a touchdown by a couple of inches. Those two plays go the other way and Duke might have won.

The halftime score should have been 23-10 or 27-10. Oh well...shoulda, woulda, coulda...I hope the guys can move on.
    IIRC, we had another two plays where one of our WR had a step or two on the DB and were overthrown by about a stride. A little more "air" under one or both passes and we might have 30 at the half like another poster commented.

Like Bob said, I hope they can recover.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    You know that we have arrived as a FB school when DBR is "shut down" for 12-18 hours after a tough loss.

And BTW, I'm with Newton_14 and another poster or two from above. The hit to Renfree was late and particularly dirty considering it really appeared it was to the head. Memories of Thad Lewis.

While I would rather beat UNC than other team, I would rather beat Frank Beamer than any other coach. It was a typical day for his goons -- er, players. One Duke QB sidelined for the game (Connette); starting Duke QB sidelined for a quarter. Close perhaps, but not as bad as the day at Wallace Wade when those guys had four roughing the QB penalties before they finally administered a game-ending concussion to Thad Lewis, our only experienced QB.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

Cut in his teleconference today said he didn't really think the hit on Renfree was late, but said he would like to see the rule changed to match the NFL where once a guy slides you can't hit him.

With regards to the Crowder TD he also said that it was too close to call and there wasn't enough evidence to overturn. He mentioned the stills but sounded generally okay about the call. He may have been being over diplomatic though.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

While I would rather beat UNC than other team, I would rather beat Frank Beamer than any other coach. It was a typical day for his goons -- er, players. One Duke QB sidelined for the game (Connette); starting Duke QB sidelined for a quarter. Close perhaps, but not as bad as the day at Wallace Wade when those guys had four roughing the QB penalties before they finally administered a game-ending concussion to Thad Lewis, our only experienced QB.

sagegrouse
    I for one saw absolutely nothing in either hit to complain about. In fact, I'm still wondering exactly how Connette got hurt. I admit Renfree got his bell rung, but he was in the process of going down and the guy that hit him was already in the process of going low on him -- it just looked like an unfortunate but fair hit to me. People are starting to go way overboard on quarterback protection, expecting approaching tacklers to stop on a dime; I don't think there was any way for this guy to reasonably pull up once he committed.