His name is V-E-R-N-O-N. learn it.

Great game, on to the Hokies!

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Attention Mike Vernon:

His name is V-E-R-N-O-N. learn it.

Great game, on to the Hokies!
    London...

But seriously, I don't know what I'm going to do if we win at Blacksburg next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    London...

But seriously, I don't know what I'm going to do if we win at Blacksburg next week.
    I will go absolutely nuts if we do that. GREAT win today, but now we enter the tougher half of the schedule. Let's keep it rollin!

A look back

In honor of Duke-VT being a big game we think can be winnable, I present to you....a live blog of the Asack game:

http://sports.chronicleblogs.com/200...virginia-tech/

This year however, we throw the ball.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    In honor of Duke-VT being a big game we think can be winnable, I present to you....a live blog of the Asack game:

http://sports.chronicleblogs.com/200...virginia-tech/

This year however, we throw the ball.
    Not trying to be rude, but I'm not sure what the point of your post was...?

A live blog of a game from four years ago where we held it close to VT on the road but lost...Is this meant to be encouraging or are you posting this in a satirical fashion?

Quote Originally Posted by Lunchab1es View Post

A live blog of a game from four years ago where we held it close to VT on the road but lost...Is this meant to be encouraging or are you posting this in a satirical fashion?
    I would imagine encouraging. If we were that close with Asack as the QB and VT was really good that year, this game should be better for Duke, and the only way it could be better would be with a win. We played them really well last year too. We'll see, I would have preferred to see VT not coming off a loss but it works both ways I guess. They could be demoralized or they could be super jacked up. Beamer is a great coach, so I would assume the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunchab1es View Post

A few reasons:

1. If you couldn't tell from my sig, which is from snrubchat from that game, I have affectionate memories of how silly that was.
    2. It was a game where we could have won - we could've beaten VT the way they played, had we been able to throw the ball. But Thad Lewis was hurt and Asack started, and Roof didn't let him pass at all - Asack had like 6 passes until the final drive (where he threw 4 times and got picked. And yet, we were down 7-3 till a late interception return.

And that's the difference - not only is this a better Duke team (and worse VT team), but our backup QB is actually capable of airing out the ball if we need it. This year won't be like that year.

(Also, reason #1 is still in effect - in retrospect, that game was hilarious.)

Carolina Delenda Est

Roof didn't let him pass at all
    IIRC, it was Cutcliffe who held the reigns on Asack. I thought at the time, and still think, that our near success in that game was due to masterful coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by orrnot View Post
    IIRC, it was Cutcliffe who held the reigns on Asack. I thought at the time, and still think, that our near success in that game was due to masterful coaching.
    I stand corrected, yes that was 08-09.

Carolina Delenda Est

Good to see Connette in for a play yesterday, guess he should be able to go. Sean should be ready, and the Boone Package should be much more confident.

Beamer has a lot of film to watch.

This would be a big upset, but not impossible. We held UVa to 2 yards rushing in the second half. Two. And hung 28 unanswered. We may or may not be world beaters yet, but we have a very real squad this year. Anything is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Good to see Connette in for a play yesterday, guess he should be able to go. Sean should be ready, and the Boone Package should be much more confident.

Beamer has a lot of film to watch.

This would be a big upset, but not impossible. We held UVa to 2 yards rushing in the second half. Two. And hung 28 unanswered. We may or may not be world beaters yet, but we have a very real squad this year. Anything is possible.
    To borrow from another football campaign or two: Believe! If yesterday's game doesn't make people get on the Blue Devil Express that's pulling out of the station, I don't know what will!

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    To borrow from another football campaign or two: Believe! If yesterday's game doesn't make people get on the Blue Devil Express that's pulling out of the station, I don't know what will!
    From the fans who were in attendance yesterday there was a lot of energy and enthusiasm, especially in the second half. And even though it wasn't even close to being full, Wally Wade was making a little bit of noise and chants of Let's Go Duke actually gave me chill bumps. So it shows you there can be a good atmosphere. Think how great it would be if it was full. I think people are starting to slowly believe and there is even a slight lunatic fringe starting to form, and every good football program has the lunatic fringe. One of them was sitting right behind me. Cutcliffe has built it now it is time for everyone else to join us diehards and come to the games and make them expedite that expansion to 44,000 seats.

Sagarin Ratings are updated

For those who are curious, the new Jeff Sagarin Rankings have the ACC as follows:

Code:
    TEAM		PRE	ELO
    FSU		12	23
    UNC		15	53
    Clem		25	24
    VT		40	55
    NCSt		45	42
    GT		59	96
    MIA		67	30
    BC		73	103
    MD		75	63
    DUKE		77	47
    UVA		94	79
    WF		106	76
    PRE = the Predictor, which is Sagarin's more accurate at predicting game results rankings - ELO is the standard rankings used by the BCS which do not take into account score discrepancies.

If we trust the predictor, VT should be a solid favorite over us (especially at home) but is actually an easier game than UNC at home (UNC's blowouts over its crappy teams look real good here. By contrast, Duke should've killed Memphis by a larger score.)

While none of MD or BC (fairly clear win possibilities) are on the schedule, our most likely 6th victory could in fact be MIAMI at home on the last game of the season.

(Of course, by ELO we're better than VT. So who knows)

Carolina Delenda Est

For those who are curious, the new Jeff Sagarin Rankings have the ACC as follows:

Code:
    TEAM		PRE	ELO
    FSU		12	23
    UNC		15	53
    Clem		25	24
    VT		40	55
    NCSt		45	42
    GT		59	96
    MIA		67	30
    BC		73	103
    MD		75	63
    DUKE		77	47
    UVA		94	79
    WF		106	76
    PRE = the Predictor, which is Sagarin's more accurate at predicting game results rankings - ELO is the standard rankings used by the BCS which do not take into account score discrepancies.

If we trust the predictor, VT should be a solid favorite over us (especially at home) but is actually an easier game than UNC at home (UNC's blowouts over its crappy teams look real good here. By contrast, Duke should've killed Memphis by a larger score.)

While none of MD or BC (fairly clear win possibilities) are on the schedule, our most likely 6th victory could in fact be MIAMI at home on the last game of the season.

(Of course, by ELO we're better than VT. So who knows)
    So, I don't really know much about the Sagarin rankings, but BC is ahead of Duke? This is the BC that is 1-4 and lost to Army yesterday?

After Va Tech's debacle at UNC, we're going to get VT's best. They'll see a home game against us as a must win. Every media comment about how Duke may be the better team right now will be on the bulletin board for motivation. VT will want to bet us and do it convincingly to get their season back on track.

But this year, I firmly believe we can get VT's best and STILL win the game, a long as they get our best too.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    So, I don't really know much about the Sagarin rankings, but BC is ahead of Duke? This is the BC that is 1-4 and lost to Army yesterday?
    The Predictor system works like the Pomeroy Computer Rankings in BBall - it basically doesn't even care about "wins" or "losses" but all about points and who they came against. Boston College's schedule rank is in the 60s - Duke's is in the 130s. That gives BC a lot more credit for keeping it close. And they blew out their one bad opponent. Duke's wins come against FIU and Memphis, both in the 140s or worse in ranking (BAD teams), Virginia - a bad team though not epicly bad, Central (Ranked in the 200s as a bad 1-AA team should be), and Wake (again, not ranked very well). 3 of BC's losses came to far better teams than those 4 (Miami, Northwestern, Clemson), and their only bad loss was to Army AT Army, and at least it was close.

Hence why BC looks better than their record.

Carolina Delenda Est

New AP Poll

Others receiving votes: ... Duke 3

Tied for 36th.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Others receiving votes: ... Duke 3

Tied for 36th.
    Spurrier told Mark Richt he had to vote, too, after the Gamecocks pasted the Dawgs.

In related news, Virginia Tech just opened as an eleven-point favorite for next weekend. Interesting. Time to make a statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    In related news, Virginia Tech just opened as an eleven-point favorite for next weekend. Interesting. Time to make a statement.
    If it can open, we can close it! I think we're going to see a tough, determined Duke team headed to Blacksburg to bring the Hokey world to an end.