I found something amazing on youtube -- a 38-minute film of the 1939 Duke-Southern Cal Rose Bowl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxLZ2oc19Go

It's done like one of those old Lindsey Nelson Sunday morning summaries of Notre Dame football -- no timeouts or huddles, just every play (in this case, none of that "We move to further action"). It's synched up with the Southern Cal radio broadcast of the game. It actually opens with about two minuutes of what appear to be home movies of the Duke team on its train-ride West. There are shots of the players on the train ... of a visit to the Grand Canyon ... to a big welcoming ceremony in Pasadena. There is also a minute ot two with shots from the Rose parade (including a Duke float). Then the game.

I warn you, it's a bit rough in spots (some bad film fluttering in the first couple of minutes ... but that smoothes out; a few audio gliches), but overall, it's very watchable -- and the sound is well synched.

I know this isn't for everybody, but for somebody interested in football history (or Duke history!) this is terrific. Fascinating to see how defense-oriented Wallade Wade is. It kind of takes your breath away when he punts on second down. Duke ran a lot of its offense out of punt formation. You can also see how Eric Tipton was an amazing punter -- and how Wade ued him as a weapon.

It's frustrating to see how close Duke came to finishing off an undefeated, untied and unscored on season. If there was any justice, they would have been won on that amazing goal-line stand in the fourth quarter (with Duke up 3-0, Al Spangler fumbles a punt at the Duke 9 ... the Iron Dukes hold solid and force a failed field goal try). My one gripe with Wade in 73 years of hindsight is this -- okay, I understand that you'd rather play defense than offense, so I can understand the second-down punts in the first three quarters. But after taking the lead early in the fourth quarter, why not run some clock by running a couple of safe plays and punting? Twice in the fourth quarter, he punted on second down.

How's that for a second-guess?