My picture in Wall Street Journal online this weekend...crazy story

Hey, everybody, I hope you find this interesting.... When I was in medical school at Tulane University I formed a garage band with a couple other guys at the school. We made a demo tape, but it never went anywhere.

Fast forward almost 25 years and I get contacted by a guy named Reed Seerman. He was starting a website called College Band (www.collegeband.com) and wanted to license some of our tunes for release. I was totally surprised by this, and we readily agreed. He made the songs available at iTunes and spotify, and he also sells the tunes and some gear (t-shirts and the like) at his website.

As if that weren't surprising enough, yesterday morning I find a picture of my band (Garaj Mahal) on the WSJ online! It's a black-and-white photo of the three of us; the guitarist is sitting on a log. I'm the guy on the back right, and the drummer is on the left. Here's the link. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...905147530.html

Hard to believe that after all these years this stuff is happening. I know we'll never make much money off these songs, but it's still pretty cool that they are at least being given a chance.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Hey, everybody, I hope you find this interesting.... When I was in medical school at Tulane University I formed a garage band with a couple other guys at the school. We made a demo tape, but it never went anywhere.

Fast forward almost 25 years and I get contacted by a guy named Reed Seerman. He was starting a website called College Band (www.collegeband.com) and wanted to license some of our tunes for release. I was totally surprised by this, and we readily agreed. He made the songs available at iTunes and spotify, and he also sells the tunes and some gear (t-shirts and the like) at his website.

As if that weren't surprising enough, yesterday morning I find a picture of my band (Garaj Mahal) on the WSJ online! It's a black-and-white photo of the three of us; the guitarist is sitting on a log. I'm the guy on the back right, and the drummer is on the left. Here's the link. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...905147530.html

Hard to believe that after all these years this stuff is happening. I know we'll never make much money off these songs, but it's still pretty cool that they are at least being given a chance.
    A great story. Thanks for sharing. Truth is stranger than fiction.

Very cool! Your band could sponsor the DBR with your royalties!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

What an incredibly cool story! Props for your role in it.

And here is the pic of RSVMan

-Jason "you are waaay cooler than the rest of us" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Garaj Mahal, eh?

Good thing your picture, log-rolling, and awesome blue jeans are epoch-ly hip, other wise I'd have to smack you for the language mangling.

weezie "you may be hipper than Jason Evans but I have never worn black socks with sneakers, so there" weezie-ster

Congrats!

Side note, shout-outs to Spear-It, Blind/Flying Mice, and the Vegetable Husbands from the section back in the day. Not to mention Jon Shain, who is still active in the Triangle and worth seeing at your next opportunity.

Weezie, I'm the guy on the back right. I've never worn black socks with tennis shoes, either. :-)