Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Wonder who the Nats are going to get today - good Edwin or bad Edwin? He can be inconsistent from start to start but he better have his off-speed stuff working today because the Cards are teeing off on fastballs. Seems to have been the difference between Gio's and Zimmermann's starts (as well as Zimmermann not locating his fastball). Very disappointed with the 1pm start time - have to work instead of going to game - life of an associate versus a partner (with whom I sit and who is going). Will not have watched a minute of the first three playoff games due to travel and game times (thanks a lot MLB) but definitely going tomorrow when I hope to see the Nats clinch!

Good Edwin will benefit from the bats behind him. The Nat is finding the round object with the long round stick with good consistency.
    Unlike Sanchez who was left clinging to a leaky raft last night. My batting average is better than Our Man Prince's right now.

Listening to Buck Martinez do color makes me want to chew glass.

Davey Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Good Edwin will benefit from the bats behind him. The Nat is finding the round object with the long round stick with good consistency.
    Unlike Sanchez who was left clinging to a leaky raft last night. My batting average is better than Our Man Prince's right now.

Listening to Buck Martinez do color makes me want to chew glass.
    Nats manager Davey Johnson seems like the Ol' Ball Coach.

Here's the aproximate transcript of a clubhouse meeting in Miami when the Nationals had lost five in a row.

"We're having this meeting only because that's what you are supposed to do when you are losing.

"The press will think I'm a genius but my real excuse is it keeps those [expletive deleted] out of the clubhouse for a while. [Laughter]

"When we ae losing your coaches and I don't sleep very well at night. So please win a few games so we can get some rest."

Which is just what happened.

sagegrouse

And. . .it looks like bad Edwin. Interesting stat posted by commenter on WaPo site. Jackson's ERA with Suzuki catching is 9+ in only 17 games but
    3+ with Flores pitching in twice as many games.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBaby View Post
    And. . .it looks like bad Edwin. Interesting stat posted by commenter on WaPo site. Jackson's ERA with Suzuki catching is 9+ in only 17 games but 3+ with Flores pitching in twice as many games.
    It's 17 innings, not games, and it's terribly skewed by a disastrous outing near the end of the season when Jackson gave up 8 earned runs in 1.1 innings. Other than that, he pitched fine the few other times Suzuki caught him.

Edit - actually he had 2 really bad outings with Suzuki catching, and two which were fine. (Prior to today).
    Last edited by Blue in the Face; 10-10-2012 at 03:30 PM.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    It's 17 innings, not games, and it's terribly skewed by a disastrous outing near the end of the season when Jackson gave up 8 earned runs in 1.1 innings. Other than that, he pitched fine the few other times Suzuki caught him.

Edit - actually he had 2 really bad outings with Suzuki catching, and two which were fine. (Prior to today).
    Thanks for clarifying. Regardless, it's a bad trend, particularly after today's debacle. Doesn't help the Nats can't muster two hits in a row.

When I grow up, I want to be Chris Carpenter.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    When I grow up, I want to be Chris Carpenter.
    Dude just has it. I am not a big believer in "will to win" but the man just gets it done -- injured all year, doesn't have his best stuff, guts out a game with men on base.

One more to go. I feel like Lohse is due for a subpar outing. I hope I am wrong.

If A-Rod's not getting it done, there's always

Voldemort1.jpg
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

The Yankees should just change their name to the New York Martin and Ibanez's.

Despite the loss, I repeat myself: we got you right where we want you, Yanks. See you guys tomorrow night...

YANKEES WIN! THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE YANKEES WINNNNNNNNNNNNN!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Good Lord, what a terrible base-running decision by Drew for Oakland. He must have been out by fifteen feet.

Are there actually oaks in Oakland? It's one of the few cities in the US that anyone has heard of that I haven't been to (San Diego and Buffalo are the others).

Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post
    Dude just has it. I am not a big believer in "will to win" but the man just gets it done -- injured all year, doesn't have his best stuff, guts out a game with men on base.

One more to go. I feel like Lohse is due for a subpar outing. I hope I am wrong.
    And he's missing a rib!

Yeah, Lohse, who knows. I feel like he's on borrowed time or something. He had a career losing record (not that that's a reliable stat) before this age-33 season that put him vaguely near the Cy Young discussion. This is his walk year and the guys on 101 pretty much talk like there's no way he'll be back.

Lohse was actually in a trade involving Rick Aguilera. God, I'm old.
    Last edited by throatybeard; 10-10-2012 at 11:59 PM.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Yankees up 2-1

Quote Originally Posted by dukebsbll14 View Post
    Despite the loss, I repeat myself: we got you right where we want you, Yanks. See you guys tomorrow night...
    I'm certainly not counting the Orioles out -- all they've got to do it win two in a row. That's hardly impossible.

But allow us to enjoy tonight's improbable win for a few hours. Thank you, Mr. Ibanez.

I'll wake up in the morning and get nervous again, but for now I'm in heaven.

I'm just glad to see the Yankees and Cardinals finally catch a break in the postseason.

How about this Athletics rally in the ninth?

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Unbelievable 4-3 walk off. Three run 9th.

Series tied.

No team has more! Pie in Coco's face!

And he's missing a rib!

Yeah, Lohse, who knows. I feel like he's on borrowed time or something. He had a career losing record (not that that's a reliable stat) before this age-33 season that put him vaguely near the Cy Young discussion. This is his walk year and the guys on 101 pretty much talk like there's no way he'll be back.

Lohse was actually in a trade involving Rick Aguilera. God, I'm old.
    And Rick Aguilera was drafted by St Louis Cardinals in 1980 but chose to go to BYU...bringing us full circle ;P

... Are there actually oaks in Oakland? It's one of the few cities in the US that anyone has heard of that I haven't been to (San Diego and Buffalo are the others)....
    The Encinal A's (?):
    http://www.bycitylight.com/cities/us...nd-history.php

I rarely travel, and even I've been to both San Diego (Duke friend's wedding) and Buffalo (2x: another Duke friend's wedding; and then for Eric Maynor's coming out party). Buffalo folks give off a friendly Midwest vibe, though the city itself has seen better days.

Post-season update

Giants complete an 0-2 comeback and advance to the NLCS
    Tigers end the A's run and advance to the ALCS

-O's force Game 5 in New York
    -Nats force Game 5 against St. Louis

This is the first time in MLB history that all four division series have gone 5 games.

I'm still trying to come up with new superlatives for Verlander. It makes you doubt your own eyesight to see some of the nasty, nasty stuff he throws.
    I want to marry that sinker pitch.
    I was wondering if he told the team before the game that he was prepared to throw 200 pitches so what the he-doublestix were they going to contribute.
    Whew!