Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

elimination games

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    I fly out to Detroit tomorrow. 90% sure I have Game 3 tickets (won't say I'm sure until I have them in my hands) and have a bead on tickets for Game 4 as well. Secured some Lions tickets for the game Sunday also. Being down 2-0 stinks, but it's not the end of the world. Just ask the Giants...they haven't lost an elimination game yet and neither have the Tigers. If the bats can generate some offense, we can tie this series up really quickly.

It'll be my first time in Comerica Park since 2005. No matter what, it's gonna be a charged up crowd!!
    Pretty sure that's true of any two world series participants.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Pretty sure that's true of any two world series participants.
    Haha, zing! Very good. Though I meant that both teams have faced them this postseason, which isn't necessarily the case.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Boy, it's as quiet in this thread as Detroit's offense.

No offense, of course.

signs of life

a weak pulse ... not out yet, but would take an unprecedented (? in WS anyway?) comeback.

Are any fellow Detroit fans going crazy from all the first-pitch strikes our batters have just stood there and looked at? SF pitchers have just floated them in since they have figured out that most of the time the Tigers batters are just going to stand there and watch it no matter how good it looks. Its as if they think they're extending the series that way. Instead, they're often well behind in the count early. At least they aren't going down without a fight now.

Giants, 4-3 in ten. Gotta admit I was way wrong. I thought the Detroit pitching would dominate. But it was SF's pitching that dominated. Zito, Vogelsong, Bumgarner and Cain all provided super starts, including two shutouts, not to mention Lincecum's performance Saturday. I also thought Cabrera and his fellow boomers would supply the runs, but the Giants did the job there as well. A sweep is a sweep!

I like the fact that Sandoval was the Series MVP, given his 3 HR game. It certainly vindicates his selection as the NL's starting third baseman in this year's All-Star game. But I do think the real position player MVP was Scutaro. When there was action, he was always there and it was his RBI in the 10th that scored the winning run. Of course, Romo came in to shut the door for the save, just as he had in previous games. So the MVP award could have been divided any number of ways and would be deserved. It was a real team effort.

I expect the riot squad is on serious alert tonight downtown.

Riot squad? These aren't Oakland Raiders fans we are talking about here.

They better schedule the parade in a way that makes it so that traffic and transit are all find by the end of the work day or this fan will not be happy. Two years ago was a nightmare while trying to travel during midday.

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    There's some history in Detroit (not just the 60s) ... even when they win, you don't want to be an unattended police car.

Hats off to SF, they played winning baseball. As for DTW, I hope they catch whoever put the Ambien in the bowl of greenies.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast

Close the thread?

It's Hot Stove season! Who will be the first free agent to receive large bags of cash, will Ozzie Guillen show up at the winter meetings just for a drink or two, do the Dodgers have any money? These questions and many more to be answered in the coming months!

Oh, and congrats to the Giants. Nats in 2013

Hot stove

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    It's Hot Stove season! Who will be the first free agent to receive large bags of cash, will Ozzie Guillen show up at the winter meetings just for a drink or two, do the Dodgers have any money? These questions and many more to be answered in the coming months!

Oh, and congrats to the Giants. Nats in 2013
    Congrats to the Giants ...

Please allow me one snarky moment -- I wonder if Prince Fielder, who is marking almost as much money as A-Roid and was just as useless at gthe plate (.077 with no runs or RBIs), will catch the same heat for his lousy series as the Yankee lightning rod did?

I'd be up for a Hot Stove thread ... always anxious to talk baseball.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Please allow me one snarky moment -- I wonder if Prince Fielder, who is marking almost as much money as A-Roid and was just as useless at gthe plate (.077 with no runs or RBIs), will catch the same heat for his lousy series as the Yankee lightning rod did?
    Given that he plays in Detroit and is a lovable family man (issues with his father aside), I doubt it.

By the way, if I had a $200M contract, those Wallace Wade improvements would happen mighty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Are any fellow Detroit fans going crazy from all the first-pitch strikes our batters have just stood there and looked at?
    Not to mention the pain of watching the last called strike of the Series as Miggs stared into the off season.
    Late to the post mortem here as I'm typing against the oncoming storm and the for sure power outage any minute.
    Yes, Oly, plenty of comments in the D about Prince needing to hit the ball with his purse if he can't hit it with a bat.

Terribly irony in Verlander being oddly to blame after blowing up in the All-Star game, AL losing home field as a result, then cracking in game one of WS, might have changed, I dunno...something?

Well, whadda gonna do? I'm bummed but life rolls on. Heck, it's just a game...sniff, sniff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post

I like the fact that Sandoval was the Series MVP, given his 3 HR game. It certainly vindicates his selection as the NL's starting third baseman in this year's All-Star game. .
    Not to pick on you specifically Jim because I've heard others with this line of thinking but how exactly does Sandoval's performance in the World Series 3 months after the All Star Game prove that he should have been the starter? To me that's like saying if Cabrera wins the AL MVP and Trout has a bit of a sophomore slump that proves it was the right choice (or vice versa).

David Wright was a mid-season MVP candidate and should have started the All Star Game. Sandoval obviously had a great post season but those numbers are irrelevant in an All Star Game discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by kmspeaks View Post
    Not to pick on you specifically Jim because I've heard others with this line of thinking but how exactly does Sandoval's performance in the World Series 3 months after the All Star Game prove that he should have been the starter? To me that's like saying if Cabrera wins the AL MVP and Trout has a bit of a sophomore slump that proves it was the right choice (or vice versa).

David Wright was a mid-season MVP candidate and should have started the All Star Game. Sandoval obviously had a great post season but those numbers are irrelevant in an All Star Game discussion.
    I'm just having some snarky fun with those who hated that the SF fans had flooded the ballot box. I enjoy the irony, but this stuff should never be taken too seriously. Remember, I didn't have a dog in that fight, being an AL (A's) fan. I just thought the complainers were being silly. After all, any city's fans can flood the balloting if they want to--and frequently do. Plus , there's a bit of West Coast hit-back in my point. The Eastern Time Zone writers and observers/fans regularly give short shrift to what happens out here--mainly because they never see it, having gone to bed early.

Besides that, Sandoval, on the merits, always was a pretty darn good candidate for the All-Star honor, even if a legitimate argument can be made for someone else. After all, it's only fan opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post

They better schedule the parade in a way that makes it so that traffic and transit are all find by the end of the work day or this fan will not be happy. Two years ago was a nightmare while trying to travel during midday.
    Yep.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...nto-riot-.html

He will if he amasses a track record like "Mr. May". But he has a way to go to catch up to A-Rod in that department. Still, there's time.

Speaking of slumps on the big stage, Verlander is 0-3 with an ERA of 7.20 in 2 WS.

Well, I am stuck in Detroit through at least tomorrow (all the DC airports are closed due to Sandy), so my whirlwind trip to catch Games 3 and 4, as well as the Lions-Seahawks game, has been extended for at least a couple more days. I was in the building for both games in Detroit and they were probably the most frustrating games I've ever seen live. We wanted a reason, any reason, to get on our feet and get loud. Everytime there was a moment where a hit or even a walk would turn Comerica Park into bedlam, the Giants would get out of the jam. The Tigers left a total of 15 men on base over the course of the two games...our bats just couldn't string anything together.

After the final out, the crowd filed out slowly and let the Giants' fans have their time in the lights...but a sizable portion (myself included) stayed to watch them celebrate. I wasn't able to make it to Detroit for the 06 World Series, but we all wanted to watch so we never forget the feeling. One thing is for sure...we don't take getting to the World Series for granted and it was a very disappointed downtown Detroit after both games.

Fielder had a terrible series at the plate, but he's not going to get much flack here because EVERYONE had a terrible series at the plate. This is also his first season in Detroit and he is already the 3rd most popular player on the team after JV and Miggy. He was a huge part of us getting to the playoffs andthen to the World Series. He also had a terrific series in the field (something that is usually not attributed to him)

The Tigers will be back, and I have no regrets about flying up here to see my team in the Fall Classic. Congrats to the Giants...I don't know what they ate for breakfast the morning after Game 4 of the NLCS, because they became a juggernaut. They deserve to be called champions.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA