Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Schedule through the middle of the divisional round. For the churchgoing in the Bay Area, mlb shows you some love with the opportunity to catch some of sunday's game before going to services.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/schedule/ps.j...m_mlb_schedule
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

The schedule

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Schedule through the middle of the divisional round. For the churchgoing in the Bay Area, mlb shows you some love with the opportunity to catch some of sunday's game before going to services.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/schedule/ps.j...m_mlb_schedule
    Wow, Sunday is going to be awesome -- four games starting at noon and ending after midnight. Baseball Heaven!

Thanks for posting this.

What's the Sunday schedule?

When I clicked the link, I see the wild card games, but the divisional boxes are blank. Yesterday when I checked, the divisional games were listed with TBD for the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    When I clicked the link, I see the wild card games, but the divisional boxes are blank. Yesterday when I checked, the divisional games were listed with TBD for the time.
    Comes up fine for me.

Gm 1 NYY @ AWC Sun Oct. 7 6:00 PM TBS
    Gm 2 NYY @ AWC Mon Oct. 8 8:00 PM TBS
    Gm 3 AWC @ NYY Wed Oct. 10 TBD TBS
    Gm 4* AWC @ NYY Thu Oct. 11 TBD TBS
    Gm 5* AWC @ NYY Fri Oct. 12 TBD TBS

Gm 1 OAK @ DET Sat Oct. 6 6:00 PM TBS
    Gm 2 OAK @ DET Sun Oct. 7 12:00 PM MLBN
    Gm 3 DET @ OAK Tue Oct. 9 9:00 PM TBS
    Gm 4* DET @ OAK Wed Oct. 10 TBD TBS
    Gm 5* DET @ OAK Thu Oct. 11 TBD TBS

Gm 1 CIN @ SF Sat Oct. 6 9:30 PM TBS
    Gm 2 CIN @ SF Sun Oct. 7 9:30 PM TBS
    Gm 3 SF @ CIN Tue Oct. 9 5:30 PM TBS
    Gm 4* SF @ CIN Wed Oct. 10 TBD TBS
    Gm 5* SF @ CIN Thu Oct. 11 TBD TBS

Gm 1 WSH @ NWC Sun Oct. 7 3:00 PM TBS
    Gm 2 WSH @ NWC Mon Oct. 8 4:30 PM TBS
    Gm 3 NWC @ WSH Wed Oct. 10 TBD TBS
    Gm 4* NWC @ WSH Thu Oct. 11 TBD TBS
    Gm 5* NWC @ WSH Fri Oct. 12 TBD TBS
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Thanks BlueFace!
    Great weekend on tap. Those leaves and dead day lilies will just have to wait.

That Tiger yawning hole around 2nd base is keeping my excitement meter steady but here's to ever youthful optimism...

I've got a request into Miggy that I be allowed to wear one of those Triple Crowns here at DBR during the games. He's always been a generous guy and I'll bet he says yes.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Thanks BlueFace!
    Great weekend on tap. Those leaves and dead day lilies will just have to wait.

That Tiger yawning hole around 2nd base is keeping my excitement meter steady but here's to ever youthful optimism...

I've got a request into Miggy that I be allowed to wear one of those Triple Crowns here at DBR during the games. He's always been a generous guy and I'll bet he says yes.

Weezie--I doubt Infante at second base will be a story line for either winning or losing. More likely it will be pitching or power hitting defeating the pitching. I think I mentioned it during the May meeting, but if the Tigers are weak in the infield, it is at the corners. Fielder, at first base, is pretty mobile for a big guy, but without his hitting would not be in anyone's lineup. Cabrera is a marvelous hitter and offensive weapon--and may well dominate the series--but his range, like Fielder's, is limited. He's got more range than Fielder, but there are better third basemen around the league. Infante, OTOH, is very good at second and Peralta is very good at short. So the middle infield is excellent.

Pitching. Pitching. Pitc...

BTW, though he won't play, since he's still recovering from surgery, your one-time idol Brandon Inge will be on the A's bench. He's been a great addition to the A's, even as a wounded player.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Weezie--I doubt Infante at second base will be a story line for either winning or losing. More likely it will be pitching or power hitting defeating the pitching. I think I mentioned it during the May meeting, but if the Tigers are weak in the infield, it is at the corners. Fielder, at first base, is pretty mobile for a big guy, but without his hitting would not be in anyone's lineup. Cabrera is a marvelous hitter and offensive weapon--and may well dominate the series--but his range, like Fielder's, is limited. He's got more range than Fielder, but there are better third basemen around the league. Infante, OTOH, is very good at second and Peralta is very good at short. So the middle infield is excellent.

Pitching. Pitching. Pitc...

BTW, though he won't play, since he's still recovering from surgery, your one-time idol Brandon Inge will be on the A's bench. He's been a great addition to the A's, even as a wounded player.

And, to compare the Detroit lineup with the A's results in a very odd framing from the A's--a mixture of rookies, castoffs and recovered surgeries. At first base you have platooned a castoff from Boston, Brandon Moss, with a slow-developing rookie, Chris Carter. At second, you have a shortstop, Cliff Pennington. At third, you have a rookie, converted minor league catcher Josh Donaldson. (True, Inge is mentoring him well.) At short, there is a castoff from Arizona, Stephen Drew, who has been rebuilt surgically. Platooning at catcher are rookie Derek Norris and Milwaukee castoff George Kottaras. In left, you have a rookie, Yoenis Cespedes. In center, a legit near-star, Coco Crisp, who might be said to be a Boston castoff. And in right, you have Boston castoff Josh Reddick. Elsewhere you have Johnny Gomes, a Rays castoff outfielder, and Seth Smith, a Rockies castoff outfielder--both of whom are platooning DHs and outfield fill-ins. The principal backup infielder is Adam Rosales, a Cincinnati castoff. (One can argue about whether Crisp and Rosales are true castoffs, since they've both been with the A's for several years.)

If all that sounds unimposing and less than championship quality, welcome to the 2012 A's.

There are some sleeper stars on this team: Cespedes and Reddick and possibly Donaldson. Both Cespedes and Reddick are extremely good outfielders with strong throwing arms. Both have power, too, as well as having shown high BA's for a time. Donaldson did not become the regular third baseman until Inge went down. But he's been terrific at the hot corner and has shown clutch hitting ability. It may be too soon to anoint him as a star, but he's worth keeping an eye on.

Just don't forget the pitching.

2-0 Bravos. Go Braves!
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 10-05-2012 at 05:49 PM.

Bud Selig is truly a loathsome individual.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Bud Selig is truly a loathsome individual.
    IMG_0120.jpg

The person who put this up would agree with you.

(Not sure where it's from, but I remember seeing this at the Minnesota Twins spring training park a few years back)

Burn it down. Burn it all down.

Are these replacement refs?

Major League Baseball got the "Wild Card Game" it deserved.

A sad A's story

A's Reliever Pat Neshek's newborn son died less than one day after being born on October 2. No cause of death. Autopsy coming. No word on services.

Some things are more important than baseball, but Pat and his wife could not just sit and grieve. So they're back with the team.

He had been with the Orioles minor league team this year until August 3, when they traded him to the A's. The A's have used him as a sidearm reliever against righthand hitters.

He was formerly with the Twins and Padres.

Burn it down. Burn it all down.
    Are these replacement refs?
    Major League Baseball got the "Wild Card Game" it deserved.
    I couldn't have said it any better.

A 1 game playoff is just so freaking random. How many times all year have the Braves left 12 runners on? How many times have they committed 3 errors in one game (they had one of the best defenses in baseball)? How many times have they given up 4 unearned runs in a game? How many times have they been screwed by one of the worst calls you will ever see in a baseball game?

It took a perfect storm of dreadful mistakes for them to lose this game. But, one game and they are done. Silly. Stupid. Just plain wrong.

-Jason "it hurts more than usual, because Chipper had to go out like this" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

A one-game playoff seems to significantly diminish the season's accomplishments...I mean, you are the 4th place team, just a couple of games out of first, which in years past would have given you at least a series, and now, it's one-and-done. And unlike other sports like basketball and football, you NEED to have at least a few games to see all of the players play. At least make it best of 3, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post
    A one-game playoff seems to significantly diminish the season's accomplishments...I mean, you are the 4th place team, just a couple of games out of first, which in years past would have given you at least a series, and now, it's one-and-done. And unlike other sports like basketball and football, you NEED to have at least a few games to see all of the players play. At least make it best of 3, imo.
    I hear you. On the other hand, in years further past, being just a few games out of first would've gotten you nothing but a warm fuzzy.

Getting back to tonight's game, by rule, the call in the NL game was the right one, right? Later than it should be called, but the rule.

I hear you. On the other hand, in years further past, being just a few games out of first would've gotten you nothing but a warm fuzzy.

Getting back to tonight's game, by rule, the call in the NL game was the right one, right? Later than it should be called, but the rule.
    Well the Braves got screwed b/c they'd be in a 5 game series in years past. I understand the point of the one game playoff but the first game certainly showed a lot of why its bad.

As far as the rule, it was not the correct call at all. There is no way you can call a 200 feet fly ball an ordinary effort by an infielder. Perhaps we get rid of the LF umpire but that shouldn't be his call anyways. Perhaps it isn't specifically stated, but the intent of the rule is to help the offense, and when have you ever seen a team turn a double play on a ball 80 feet off the grass. As shown, they'd have a hard enough time getting 1 out on that play with the way the runners advanced off the drop.

That said, if that is the correct ruling according to the MLB, I'm reteaching my team how to play. Just have the infielder go out there like he is just drifting underneath it (Kozma did do a good job of making it look like he had it) and now we can avoid any collisions. Heck, if I'm Fredi, I tell Simmons or Prado to intentionally drop a similar play next year to prove a point, but I'm spiteful and would have been thrown out/suspended if I was Gonzalez and I'm not even a Braves fan.

t one-game playoff

I'm a Braves fan and I'm sorry they lost, but I'm still not knocking the one-game playoff.

It worked out the way it should -- the wild card teams SHOULD have to face a major hurdle. The regular season does mean something -- the 162-game schedule determines the division champions and they in turn deserve an edge over the second-place teams that are graciously allowed into the playoffs. Yeah, over the last 15 or so years, the Braves would have had a best of 5 playoff before they were eliminated ... but for most of baseball history they would have been done at the end of the regular season.

I do wish they would return to a balanced regular season schedule ... but I also wish the NL would adopt the designated hitter, they would ban interleague play and get rid of the salary cap. I'm not likely to see any of those things happen.

As for the infield fly rule in today's game -- I think it was called incorrectly (the rule says that it's called when the infieler can "easily" catch the fly and this one was opbviously not easy ... he just deaked the ump into thinkiong so), but it WAS called and that's a judgment call that can't be overturned. The Braves made three errors and couldn't get any key hits with runners on base ... that's why you hate to be in a one-game playoff. So next year, they can win the division and not have to deal with that.