Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Yep. Brothers.

FWIW, this has the sound of a head v. heart decision. Duke is the best business option, the best way for him to step out of his comfort zone, experience new things, challenge himself in a demanding but historically elite program/school that excels on the court and in the classroom.

But other options trump Duke in terms of familiarity, access to friends and family and other variables.

This is a common dilemma, one that many of us have faced, one that many of our children have faced, one that isn't limited to athletes. It just depends on how he ranks the importance of these variables.
    Many may disagree with me on this (and that's ok ), but if Duke is possibly his choice from his head and not the choice in his heart, I think it would be best for hime and everyone involved to go to the schoool that's in his heart and not to Duke. Despite all the positives and reasons for Austin to choose Duke, imo I think there's a greater chance of him being unhappy and later transferring if things aren't going his way during his freshman year and time at Duke. I remember hearing Tony Bennett say that a recruit should choose the school that you'd be happy being at even when things are tough and not going your way. That said, things can change and feelings about a school can change for the positive once a recruit comes to a school, but I want a recruit to be emotionally invested in Duke to the point that that they want to be there regardless of circumstances.

And by no means do I have any ill-will against Austin for being conflicted, I compoletely get it and want him to do what he feels is best for him. I would love for him to choose Duke; but if not, i undeerstand and would prefer it that way if Duke does not turn out to be his heart's choice.

Yep. Brothers.

FWIW, this has the sound of a head v. heart decision. Duke is the best business option, the best way for him to step out of his comfort zone, experience new things, challenge himself in a demanding but historically elite program/school that excels on the court and in the classroom.

But other options trump Duke in terms of familiarity, access to friends and family and other variables.

This is a common dilemma, one that many of us have faced, one that many of our children have faced, one that isn't limited to athletes. It just depends on how he ranks the importance of these variables.
    Paging Althea Williams, Jason's mom.

Same type deal; she set him straight. Duke instead of local Rutgers.

My son had a pair of twins as friends when he was growing up. One went to UNC-Wilmington. The other went to App State.

Read into that what you will.
    If they didn't like each other, the one in the West would have been in Cullowhee.

Article on Tennessee visit. Says decision expected early November.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Article on Tennessee visit. Says decision expected early November.
    Interesting item from the article was how impressed Austin Nichols was to meet and shake hands with Peyton Manning.

On Saturday, prior to the UT-Bama game at Neyland Stadium, Austin Nichols was so shocked to meet Manning that he missed one crucial opportunity.

He forgot to snap a picture with the hall of famer.

"He was just shocked that that was Peyton Manning," said Mark Nichols, who described himself as "lifelong" Tennessee football fan.
    Say, Austin, if you really want to spend time with Peyton Manning, come to Duke. That's where he likes to hang out.

Duke Hoop Blog suggests Austin is a Tennessee lean. No quotes or evidence, just a hunch maybe?

I hope we have more of a shot than they suggest. If not, there's a few big guys left uncommitted, but no one I've heard Duke mentioned in conjunction with.

Nope. That's why his nickname is "T-Rex". Really short arms.

Yes, I did mean 7-3/7-4. Thanks for picking up on that.
    Another example of why my cinder block scale should be the gold standard of measurment!

Duke Hoop Blog suggests Austin is a Tennessee lean. No quotes or evidence, just a hunch maybe?

I hope we have more of a shot than they suggest. If not, there's a few big guys left uncommitted, but no one I've heard Duke mentioned in conjunction with.

I've been under the impression that we're all in for Austin and Jabari, prepared to go to battle next year with both, one, or none. I haven't heard of any back up options. The one guy I think we were associated with a long time ago was BeeJay Anya. I assume he either wasn't interested, we decided we weren't interested (even as a back up option), or something else happened behind the scenes to short circuit that recruitment. Or perhaps I'm just imagining having seen his name attached to us. Either way, hoping we surprise folks and reel Austin in.

Yahoo recently had an article about Joel Embiid, an incredibly athletic 7 footer, who had only been playing the game for a year. I'm not sure why he's not on the list but a guy like that would have to be useful no matter how raw his talent. With that said I really like what I've seen of Nichols game and I hope we get him

Austin just completed a visit to Auburn and will supposedly decide on a college in the next 2 weeks. Lots of talk he will do his announcement on ESPNU. Most seem to feel it is a Duke vs. Tennessee race with Tennessee a mild favorite.

-Jason "insta-starter and staying home at Tenn versus long-term development and playing for a contender at Duke" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Austin just completed a visit to Auburn and will supposedly decide on a college in the next 2 weeks. Lots of talk he will do his announcement on ESPNU. Most seem to feel it is a Duke vs. Tennessee race with Tennessee a mild favorite.

-Jason "insta-starter and staying home at Tenn versus long-term development and playing for a contender at Duke" Evans
    It should be a lot quicker than two weeks. Duke remains cautiously optimistic. The family has emphasized academics in its communications with Duke.

It should be a lot quicker than two weeks. Duke remains cautiously optimistic. The family has emphasized academics in its communications with Duke.
    I'll take that. Coach K has done everything he could do to get Austin. Ultimately, the kid will do what he wants and what he thinks is best for him. I know he will have great opportunities at Duke. I hope that's where his heart is. We'll find out soon enough.

Best recruiting pitch

I'll take that. Coach K has done everything he could do to get Austin. Ultimately, the kid will do what he wants and what he thinks is best for him. I know he will have great opportunities at Duke. I hope that's where his heart is. We'll find out soon enough.
    K: "Last kid we had named Austin was a 1st round draft pick, in the lottery, making big money in the League right about now."
    AN: "Wow, that sounds good. Where do i sign?"

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    He'll very possibly be an insta-starter at Duke too...
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    He'll very possibly be an insta-starter at Duke too...
    I am cautiously optimistic that a redshirt sophomore (#61 RSCI) Marshall, slightly lower ranked coming out of high school (#32 RSCI) senior Josh Hairston, slightly higher ranked sophomore (#21) Amile Jefferson, redshirt sophomore (#49) Alex Murphy will all have shown the ability to be, at minimum, quality ACC-level players that will be difficult to start over for a (#23 RSCI and rising?) freshman.
    http://www.rscihoops.com/
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

No Decision Yet

From the Vols' site - Austin's Dad shoots down rumors that Austin is ready to announce. Gotta say, Austin's Dad sounds like an interesting guy based on the few snippets I've seen from him. In this one he advises everyone to take "a chill pill". LINK

RT from ACCSports

ACC Sports ‏@ACCSports

Not good news for Duke/UVa RT @SECBballRecruit Austin Nichols is down to Memphis and Tennessee per a source.

ACC Sports ‏@ACCSports

Not good news for Duke/UVa RT @SECBballRecruit Austin Nichols is down to Memphis and Tennessee per a source.
    This kind of background noise has been floating around twitter for a couple of days...
    I'm not sure what to believe on him anymore.

We'll know when we know... and only then, it seems.

19. Do high schoolers who intend to earn millions in the NBA ever really select a college with academics as the difference maker?

I'm cautiously optimistic but it feels more like a contested three than a layup.

From the man himself:
    "‏@a_nichols33 I have committed to the University of Memphis! #GoTigers"