Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    The silence about Austin is deafening.

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    The silence about Austin is deafening.
    There are a ton of rumors going around, but Austin himself (via twitter) has come out and said they are not true.

The rumor du jour is that his gf, twin sister and Hubbs are going to Tennessee and that he has informed the Vols coaching staff that he will as well.

Who knows what is actually happening, but, that is what I have heard/seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Dingleberry View Post
    The rumor du jour is that his gf, twin sister and Hubbs are going to Tennessee and that he has informed the Vols coaching staff that he will as well.

We're golden then!! Nobody in their right mind goes to the same college as their high school girlfriend! What fun is that!!!
    Last edited by BlueBloodedDevil; 10-10-2012 at 09:06 AM.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBloodedDevil View Post
    We're golden then!! Nobody in their right mind goes to the same college as their high school girlfriend! What fun is that!!!
    LOL...I can't lie, that was my first thought when reading the rumor.

There are a ton of rumors going around, but Austin himself (via twitter) has come out and said they are not true.

His twin sister or his gf's twin sister? This could be important ...

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    His twin sister or his gf's twin sister? This could be important ...
    Austin's twin sister.

I'm just hoping those are three DIFFERENT people...

I keeed, I keeed!

s.i.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleIrish View Post
    I'm just hoping those are three DIFFERENT people...

I keeed, I keeed!

s.i.
    lol. Very nice, SI, very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBloodedDevil View Post
    Well, if you see his Twitter picture/avatar/whatever it's called, then you might change your mind (assuming that's his girlfriend).
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    Well, if you see his Twitter picture/avatar/whatever it's called, then you might change your mind (assuming that's his girlfriend).
    Austin Rivers' girlfriend dropped out of college and moved to Durham to be Austin's girlfriend, maybe she'll do the same...

No judgement on the matter, not a dumb move though...

Father Knows Best?

While saying that of course the decision belongs to his son, Austin Nichols's father does not think Tennessee would be a good fit for Austin, due to its style of play. This as Austin heads to UT for a visit this weekend. Dad is hoping for a decision in about three weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    While saying that of course the decision belongs to his son, Austin Nichols's father does not think Tennessee would be a good fit for Austin, due to its style of play. This as Austin heads to UT for a visit this weekend. Dad is hoping for a decision in about three weeks.
    Thanks for the link. While I'm certainly hoping Nichols chooses Duke, I'm shaking my head about his Dad's comments. He's stepped into this a bit too far IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Thanks for the link. While I'm certainly hoping Nichols chooses Duke, I'm shaking my head about his Dad's comments. He's stepped into this a bit too far IMO.
    I agree. Those seem like very odd comments for a parent to make. Particularly to a Tennessee blog leading into his OV there. Makes me wonder what the purpose of those statements were. I have a hard time believing they were just off the cuff.

On a related note, am I right in saying that there were essentially no reports related to Austin's recent visit to Durham? I don't recall seeing any articles about his visit. Not that it matters, but it seems odd... unless I just missed everything.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    I agree. Those seem like very odd comments for a parent to make. Particularly to a Tennessee blog leading into his OV there. Makes me wonder what the purpose of those statements were. I have a hard time believing they were just off the cuff.

On a related note, am I right in saying that there were essentially no reports related to Austin's recent visit to Durham? I don't recall seeing any articles about his visit. Not that it matters, but it seems odd... unless I just missed everything.
    They came, they saw, they left.

A good time was had by all.

The family is telling Duke that academics will be important. Duke leads in that and the playing-style-expectations are a plus.

But Memphis is home and his twin sister is at Tennessee and Duke can't match either of those attractions. So, what is the relative weight of these variables? Not only do we not know, its likely that Nichols doesn't know.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

The family is telling Duke that academics will be important. Duke leads in that and the playing-style-expectations are a plus.

But Memphis is home and his twin sister is at Tennessee and Duke can't match either of those attractions. So, what is the relative weight of these variables? Not only do we not know, its likely that Nichols doesn't know.
    I can only to speak to my experience as a twin, but I'd want to go as far away from him as possible
    http://www.dukesportsblog.com/

Twitter: @MikeKlineDSB

Facebook: Duke Sports Blog

Interesting. Thank you, Jim!

Quote Originally Posted by mkline09 View Post
    I can only to speak to my experience as a twin, but I'd want to go as far away from him as possible
    My son had a pair of twins as friends when he was growing up. One went to UNC-Wilmington. The other went to App State.

Read into that what you will.

My son had a pair of twins as friends when he was growing up. One went to UNC-Wilmington. The other went to App State.

Read into that what you will.
    fraternal twins

Quote Originally Posted by mkline09 View Post
    It's hard to predict how the twin thing will influence the decision, as you note. Some twins are apparently super close. Being opposite-sex twins could make that less likely--but it also might make it more likely, since it might be easier for the two to find their own space.

Friends of mine have twin daughters who are so-called "mirror" twins, and their personalities seem almost designed to irritate each other. It was a great relief for both, apparently, as well as for the parents, when they left for separate colleges.

I did see one tweet from Austin shortly after his visit in which he said something positive along the lines of "had a blast." That echoes Jim's understanding that it was a good visit. But of course, as Jim's post also makes clear, there is a big difference between a good visit and a commitment. What top basketball recruit wouldn't have fun spending a weekend at Duke?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    fraternal twins
    Yep. Brothers.

FWIW, this has the sound of a head v. heart decision. Duke is the best business option, the best way for him to step out of his comfort zone, experience new things, challenge himself in a demanding but historically elite program/school that excels on the court and in the classroom.

But other options trump Duke in terms of familiarity, access to friends and family and other variables.

This is a common dilemma, one that many of us have faced, one that many of our children have faced, one that isn't limited to athletes. It just depends on how he ranks the importance of these variables.
    Last edited by jimsumner; 10-19-2012 at 12:09 PM.