Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    By linking to an average-expectable Chansky piece, Wheat brings us news. He's been a member of the DBR community for a long time and is far less provocative than I'd be on a Carolina message board.

I don't like the piece, but I like Thomas's jewelry-related behavior even less. I'm hoping it's just an embarrassing lack of judgment on his part, since that's best case scenario, and I'm ok with assuming th best (which is adolescent impulsivity using his own money and without breaking rules). but surely we should assume our rivals would view it less charitably, just as we feel free to assume the entire unc system is a cesspool of stupidity--which is obviously a (small) exaggeration.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    By linking to an average-expectable Chansky piece, Wheat brings us news.
    You're serious with this statement? We'd have all been unaware of the Chansky piece save for the generosity of Wheat "bringing us news"? And descirbing the Chansky piece as "news" is an insult to journalism everywhere.

Every once in a while I'm reminded of why I quit being a regular at this board, and reminded of why I need to do so again. This place will make your brain hurt.

OK. You guys win. I've had enough. I post a link in a relevant thread and most just attack me and avoid a respectful discussion.

This used to be a place where you could have a mature, stimulating, civil give and take discussion on sensitive, varying opinions and topics...unlike other boards around. Now it seems to be graduating to the standard Internet mean.

Have a good season. Maybe I'll come back someday. When some of you throw the party, be sure to bring something to relieve the pain of patting yourselves on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    OK. You guys win. I've had enough. I post a link in a relevant thread and most just attack me and avoid a respectful discussion.

This used to be a place where you could have a mature, stimulating, civil give and take discussion on sensitive, varying opinions and topics...unlike other boards around. Now it seems to be graduating to the standard Internet mean.

Have a good season. Maybe I'll come back someday. When some of you throw the party, be sure to bring something to relieve the pain of patting yourselves on the back.
    Easy there, guy. The LT matter, until it is resolved, is a sensitive spot, and folks show their sensitivities. I hope you stick around. You add a lot to the Board,

sagegrouse

At least I hope people can appreciate the irony of Chansky (who I knew as a premium twit 40 years ago), fired from his position in Holeville during their ongoing, tawdry
    scandal now trying to interject himself into Duke's NCAA business.

Quote Originally Posted by nocilla View Post
    So, looking back, we had a couple posters get real upset about the previous Lance Thomas thread getting locked because they thought it should still be open for discussion. They pleaded with the moderators to open it back up because apparently there was still plenty to talk about. Finally a new thread is opened to allow further discussion.

And for 2 weeks the only discussion from all of the parties that complained about the threads getting locked is a link to an Art Chansky article? Good grief...
    as one of those that complained, i will respond to this complaint. to be fair, this is not just directed at you, but to everyone that thinks this thread should be closed, but at the same time can't seem to keep themselves from reading it and whining about it.

first, i agree there hasn't been much to talk about. however, i don't see why that implies the thread should be locked. there are plenty of threads that thrive without any real info for long periods (just check out recruiting threads).

second, i agree the chansky article is useless. however, i am certainly curious how those without duke blue glasses (or anti-duke blue glasses) view this situation. it looks to me like they don't have a lot of ammo, which is comforting. also, i choose not to give chansky clicks, so the feedback of others provided here resolves my curiosity.

third, while there hasn't been a ton of useful information, as a result of the discussion here i've learned that coach k/duke is not permitted to speak with lance without the ncaa present. that's a pretty interesting piece of information and certainly shapes my perception of k's responsibilities as a leader. also, there have been bits i've otherwise missed - for instance, while i had interpreted from articles that the lawsuit was settled and lance announced his intention to speak with the ncaa, i missed the fact that they only had an agreement and that actually nailing the settlement might take longer. reading comments in this forum helped me understand that nuance and, perhaps, better align my expectations on timing. perhaps you are entirely on top of these issues and don't need to hear these things from the forum discussion - kudos to you, but this a community forum that includes people less up to speed.

ultimately, i really do not understand the argument against having this thread open (aside from being able to avoid hypersensitive duke fans getting nasty at any comment that might cast duke in a bad light). if you think wheat is trolling, ignore him or call him out or give him negative feedback or infractions or whatever. if reading posts related to this topic is annoying to you, then perhaps you should stay off the thread that you've made it clear you think is unworthy of existence. these concerns really have little to do with whether we should have a venue to discuss what was a major (but perhaps shallow) news story related duke basketball.

and we are still not certain whether this story will ultimately be a non-event. lance hedged himself a bit on the question of whether he violated ncaa rules. his comments could mean a number of things, but most likely for me are a) "i didn't violate ncaa rules, but am uncomfortable making authoritative statements", or b) "i may have violated an ncaa rule, but i didn't think i was violating a rule when i did this and if it was a violation it was an honest mistake." if we can have an extensive discussion regarding whether austin nichols's buddy, twin sister and girlfriend are all the same person, then certainly we can have a forum to discuss lance's jewelry.

Wheat,

As someone that rarely ever posts, but comes here to read every day, I, for one, enjoy what you bring to this board. I personally feel that you add a much needed dynamic to this place and certainly wish that you continue to contribute to this community.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I hardly think "most" are attacking you, just a very small percentage of this board. Most of the folks here read and don't respond either way. You gotta know as a tarheel you will get plenty of pushback, but in comparison to the entire population of this site, the 5 or 6 posters that have responded negatively hardly counts as most. (Although some of the "students" in the football program might disagree with my math). I'm in the camp of enjoying your contributions, but lordy you gotta have a thicker skin than that!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Your friend Art Chansky...
    You forgot the sarcasm emoticon.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly_B View Post
    Wheat,

As someone that rarely ever posts, but comes here to read every day, I, for one, enjoy what you bring to this board. I personally feel that you add a much needed dynamic to this place and certainly wish that you continue to contribute to this community.
    Seconded. There are trolls and there are UNC trolls, and personally I find you to be neither. I've dealt with a ton of obnoxious UNC fans in my day, and if you're pretty tame posts are now what we're branding as a "troll", then we've lost a ton of objectivity.

Linking Chansky on anything will typically get you laughed out of the room, though. Just like using Al Featherston on a UNC board would. Even if they have a good point, the perceived bias ship has sailed.
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Easy there, guy. The LT matter, until it is resolved, is a sensitive spot, and folks show their sensitivities. I hope you stick around. You add a lot to the Board,

sagegrouse
    Agreed, Sage. Hope you stick around, Wheat.

Although Art's article does next to nothing to further the conversation, I don't see a reason to rag on Wheat. It was an honest effort IMO.

I just subscribe to the idea that the easiest, most simplistic reason is usually the reason. No conspiracies, no cover ups, no complex strategies.

And to compare this to a child rape case is just utterly absurd. This is over jewelry. Doesn't have the smallest impact on the basketball court, in the classroom, or on the university. You can argue over the potential consequences, NCAA rules, bicker back and forth as Duke vs. UNC fans, debate Lance's financial judgment. Doesn't change the fact that the kid just bought some metal; it's so inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. As happy as it would make the Duke haters, maybe I'm dubbing it down way too much but who really cares? Lance's purchase did not affect his basketball skills, his college degree, or his personal conduct while on campus.

- Chillin

Please stick around, though I'd understand if you figure it's not worth the trouble. Wheat has been an informed, agreeable presence and one of my favorite posters. Lots of idiot Duke haters out there -- he's not one. I'm guessing 95 percent of the people on here agree.

1. You're not fooling anybody. You'll be back posting on here before you can say "muckraker". You can't stay away...

2. "standard Internet mean"???? IMO, most people that post here do so with kid gloves. Nobody gets savaged. I haven't seen anything that would or should make even the thinnest skinned poster take their tablet and go home.

Oh well. Enjoy the self-imposed exile, or vacation, whichever it may be... but I'm not buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by wallyman View Post
    Please stick around, though I'd understand if you figure it's not worth the trouble. Wheat has been an informed, agreeable presence and one of my favorite posters. Lots of idiot Duke haters out there -- he's not one. I'm guessing 95 percent of the people on here agree.
    I certainly do, for what it's worth. Some of these folks complaining haven't been around very long. Wheat has always been a respectful and insightful poster. God knows if you get the slightest bit out of line around here the Hammer of Disappeared Posts comes down. If he was as bad as some folks seem to think he would have been long gone.

And yes, he is a fisherman, IIRC.

Meh

Wheat, I think you lose the moral highground to complain about how you are treated in this thread when your contribution is to link a piece of Chansky dreck. I don't think the response would be the same if you brought something less inflamatory and with any actual intellectual value to the table. People can take dissent and discussion here. You didn't bring that. You tossed in a firecracker and now are surprised people are upset? GMAFB.

Troll in fisherman's clothing. As you always have been.

Having met Art Chansky and read some of his screeds, I think he's a real piece of garbage, and that's being generous. Wheat, not so much, he's cool by me, even if we've disagreed on content and tone on occasion.

Regardless, I think Chansky's fantasy scenario of an interrogation of Krzyzewski is just that: a fantasy. As some have said here, you'd have a better chance of getting blood from a stone than getting Krzyzewski to offer up information on this when he doesn't have to, nor should he have to. The cards will fall where they may.

1. Nobody "attacked" you. People just pointed out that your post (which didn't provide any news or intellectual discussion points, comes from a noted Duke hater, and was clearly just a flame piece) was a troll move. And that's accurate, whether you meant to troll or not. Some speculated as to your intent. But nobody attacked you.

2. Very few people on this board even responded to you. Trust me: the response you got in this thread is way, way, WAY above "the Internet mean" in terms of maturity and civility.

3. We have plenty of mature, civil, give-and-take discussion on a variety of topics. You chose to post a flame piece that adds nothing to the discussion. That's not a recipe for mature, civil, give-and-take discussion. You should know that.

4. Spare us the pity party, martyr angle. You're experienced enough to know better than that. No one will be patting themselves on the back if you leave. No one is even trying to get you to leave. If you don't feel we're worth your time anymore, that's your loss (or gain). But don't try to spin this as "we ran you off." But getting your drawers in a wad over a mildly-negative response from the community to a post of an inflammatory article is pretty weak in my opinion. If I got huffy and threatened to leave every time a bunch of people felt my post was worthless, I'd have probably left 100 times by now.
    Last edited by CDu; 10-11-2012 at 12:34 PM.

Folks,

I think enough of us have made our opinions known about Wheat. He is not the topic here. He can decide to stay or leave -- it is of course up to him. Some posters think he is a troll. Others value his contributions. I think that much is clear.

Wheat chose to link an ill-conceived article that has been fairly thoroughly debunked as having little value. As a moderator responsible for maintaining civility on this site, I see no reason for further discussion of this. If you can bring something new to the party, feel free, but continued posts that make the same points we have seen over and over will not rest well with the moderation team and are likely to result in infractions.

I hope everyone understands and can abide by this request.

-Jason "I hope Wheat sticks around... but is a lot more thoughtful in his links and comments" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

And the Hammer strikes again. Note to self -- contradicting Jason Evans is verboten! Vere are your papers?

I'm not going to fall all over myself begging you to stick around, but I do think you bring an entertaining perspective to the board, and I like the fact that you do, from time to time needle some folks who take ALL this too seriously.

If you don't stay, God speed