Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tony Dungy made an interesting point yesterday on the Dan Patrick Show. He felt that it is foolish to call a timeout so late that the kicker gets (effectively) a practice kick, gauge the wind, etc. He's OK with trying to ice them by calling a timeout well before the kick, but [to mix metaphors?] "don't let them warm up!"

Seems like a reasonable distinction.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Tony Dungy made an interesting point yesterday on the Dan Patrick Show. He felt that it is foolish to call a timeout so late that the kicker gets (effectively) a practice kick, gauge the wind, etc. He's OK with trying to ice them by calling a timeout well before the kick, but [to mix metaphors?] "don't let them warm up!"

Seems like a reasonable distinction.
    That was an interesting situation Sunday in one of the 1:00 games. I saw the end of it. The defense called timeout to ice the kicker with about 10 seconds left on the play clock. A GOOD three seconds after the refs started blowing their whistles and waving their arms, the center snapped, the holder placed, and the kicker kicked. I was wondering if the team wasn't flirting with a delay of game penalty there. They can't claim they were about to snap and were surprised. All of the defense and most of the offense had stood up and started milling around by the time the ball was snapped.

This strikes me as a first-world problem.

3r6fb2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Well since nobody ices the punter or the kicker on extra points, I guess that narrows it down to field goals.
    But the point is you wouldn't know if it was a kicking play or not. They may line up for one and when 10 seconds hits the audible to a legit play.