Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    The student section isn't that big hky, and it usually fills on the first game of the season actually (or pretty close) in football. And trust me, for the first time in over a decade that Duke-UNC will be played at a time when Duke students are on campus, at 5-1? They'll fill it.
    especially at 5 wins with a potential bowl win and without having beaten carolina (despite being close)...it'll fill

I was at cut's first game JMU...it was our first home win in years, the students were pumped...and he came over and told the student section "lets save those suckers [goalposts] for down the road"

if we win against carolina for a bowl bid, i'm not sure there is anything else they can be saved for...
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    especially at 5 wins with a potential bowl win and without having beaten carolina (despite being close)...it'll fill

I was at cut's first game JMU...it was our first home win in years, the students were pumped...and he came over and told the student section "lets save those suckers [goalposts] for down the road"

if we win against carolina for a bowl bid, i'm not sure there is anything else they can be saved for...
    Yep, I was there too in the front row. Cut told us not to storm the field then but to save it for the Holes. Time to make good on that promise.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    You're right on the student's section part, it is fairly small. I'm just thinking in terms of the rest of the stadium I guess, but they also don't stop letting students in ever, they just let em sit kind of wherever they want. It'll be a huge game, hopefully all of WW will be a little darker shade of blue.
    Those of us who were at the alabama game know that is untrue...they have a limit on how many students they can let in, and it was only near the end when it was clear students had left that they let more in
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    As much as I would like to see it, I don't think it's gonna happen my man. The basketball games seldom fill up anymore. I graduated a couple of years ago, and the typical Duke student just doesn't care as much as they used to about any sport, let alone football. It sucks, but I don't see it changing in time for the Carolina game.
    Agree. And it's a shame. Students don't realize what they're missing.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post

Gio will run for 220 against us. We need to beat the hokies. But I understand where you're coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by mjones723 View Post
    Gio will run for 220 against us. We need to beat the hokies. But I understand where you're coming from.
    Again, honestly, it's not at all about the amount the opponent will score on us. This is a shootout team. But we can score on nearly anyone (not Stanford), and if Wake can score 28 on Carolina, we can score more, enough to keep up. We're averaging 45 points a game at home after all.

Carolina Delenda Est

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    The first time we've ever played UNC not during Thanksgiving break in as long as I can remember?
    Your senior year of high school, we played them in Chapel Hill. Tough one, but the Duke section was LOUD

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    Your senior year of high school, we played them in Chapel Hill. Tough one, but the Duke section was LOUD
    Yeah but it was at Chapel Hill. This is the first time not during thanksgiving AT DUKE. Big difference.

Carolina Delenda Est

Great game. Just awesome. I'm still psyched! This just felt like a game where all the cylinders were firing and--unlike most games in recent (and not so recent!) memory--Duke intimidated and demoralized the opponent. Major congratulations to Vernon!

Wonder what happens when Renfree's back up too 100%...

Crowd wasn't bad by our normal standards, most of the home side was pretty thick, and student attendance was above average. I'd think the 20k estimate someone tossed out there earlier is not too far off (I would have guessed about half full the start). I took a panorama shot from my seat in the 1st quarter, with a limited view of the home side.

photo_q1.jpg

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Yeah but it was at Chapel Hill. This is the first time not during thanksgiving AT DUKE. Big difference.
    Agreed. Hopefully it's not all baby blue.

Canty

BTW, I'm sure this has already been said, but it Cant be said enough how awesome Walt Canty was in this game, particularly in the second half. Two HUGE tackles for loss - the Turnover on Downs and the 3rd down play near the end as well as countless other tackles.

I know I'm generally in the minority thinking Matt Daniels was majorly overrated - making tons of tackles mainly because the guys in front of him were missing and only after lots of yardage - but Canty is doing all Daniels ever did and more. I hope he got the game ball, even with Boone & Vernon's heroics.

Carolina Delenda Est

I went to the game tonight and I'm still jacked up, so this'll be short - too excited to spend much time typing on a keyboard. You're right, Loran...Walt Canty did his share and more to insure that Duke was not going to be denied today. If that's not enough, as we were walking through the dorm areas back to the parking lot, a woman said that she knows Walt and that he's a wonderful young man - makes it all the sweeter. The only (and I mean only) disappointing thing about the game tonight was of course the average to slightly better than average crowd size. That's disappointing as these guys are showing us something and although I guess you can't really say that any team literally deserves the fans' support, they certainly should have our support. I grew up in Durham and have been a Duke fan for longer than I care to admit so I'm not shocked by this, but it's disappointing nevertheless. I can only speak for myself but I'm definitely enjoying the ride! Congrats to Coach Cut and the team...we still haven't accomplished everything we want to accomplish this season though. Next play! It was fun, we played well, but I'm getting hungry...and some turkey might hit the spot next weekend! Thanks to the TBCC for the food - sorry my son and I couldn't spend more time with you guys today - arrived on campus later than I wanted. We are Duke!!

Today was the first time in 40 years of going to Duke football games that I've heard a player's name chanted by the fans, like the Crazies do in Cameron! Congratulations Conner Vernon, on so many levels!

It was so fun to be in Wallace Wade Stadium this afternoon!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Today was the first time in 40 years of going to Duke football games that I've heard a player's name chanted by the fans, like the Crazies do in Cameron! Congratulations Conner Vernon, on so many levels!

It was so fun to be in Wallace Wade Stadium this afternoon!
    Yes, I was screaming CV until it hurt. So awesome!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Nashville View Post
    Can anyone comment on the crowd at Wallace Wade? Heard a lot going into the game that we needed a solid crowd. However, I haven't heard any response to that yet.

The crowd was a little above average as has already been stated. But for those Duke fans who were there, for the first time in a long time, we were playing an ACC school and having FUN! It was a great game and the crowd was really into it. We got to see a total all around team effort. There were some individual high-lights, but it was mostly a TEAM effort.

I drive 300 miles round trip to the games and all I want to say is... "Any Duke student or fan, within reasonable driving distance, who chose not to attend today's game should be penalized 15 yeards for 'UNDUKE-sportsman like conduct."

I have just gotten home and I sound like I usually do when I return from a Duke BB game. A cold one should cure that.

I was at the game. The TV commentary may have given some insights we missed in the stands, but the atmosphere that began to develop in the fair to middling sized crowd has been missing for decades...by the second half, the crowd was in the game and making noise, the kind of noise the home team deserves. We still don't have many football cheers, but the fans took it on themselves to get involved and didn't let up.

Looking ahead to the Carolina game, there are tickets still available as well as tickets in 4 packs (4 home games). If you've been wavering about whether to come to a game, please make plans to be at the Carolina game on Oct. 20. This is a special year we're having.

I'm sorry, but why on Earth would any Duke fan not want a win next week, or any in game ever? (Directed at those you who want to "wait" to win until the week after when we play the Holes).

Duke has six very tough games remaining and 0 guarantee of a win in any of them.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

I was there and it was awesome. As for student attendance, I think part of it can be attributed to midterm week. It's hard enough to get students to come out during a normal week, and I think upcoming tests had something to do with the poor showing.

Most impressive stat (if I am recalling my stats correctly):

1st half-Uva rushing yards=181
    2nd half-Uva rushing yards=5
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

We might have a winnable game in Tallahassee this year.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.