Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

close game...

I’ve been to all the home games in Charlottesville this year and have a few observations about the Hoo’s. Although the record of 2-3 isn’t good, ball security and turnovers have contributed to these losses. With Sims replacing Rocco at QB, ball security should be improved. Sims seems to be more efficient and although both have around 61% completion rate, Sims has 5 TD with 0 interceptions, while Rocco has had only 6TD with 100 more passing attempts. UVa plays a timing-based offense and Sims has needed time to get comfortable with the playbook. Jamming the receivers at the line of scrimmage to interrupt the timing of the pass could help Duke. The Hoo’s ground game has been anemic this year, in contrast to a good running game last year, especially from Park and Jones. I think they will try and get the backs more involved and open up the receivers for Sims. Of note, UVa also may have a few injured players coming back.

I think this will be a close and exciting game. Can’t wait….

2-3 isn't good, but honestly UVA should be 1-4. PSU was a giveaway.

I watched the archives of Sims in the GT, TCU, and LaTech games, and while it's hard to make any statements about him as a QB, here's a couple thoughts:

1. He's a mobile quarterback. He has the ability to scramble and make tacklers miss, so that will be a point of concern for us. We've done a good job of getting to the QB in our games, but sometimes have trouble containing a scrambling QB. We will need to contain him in the pocket or Sims will do some damage

2. He's not a terribly accurate thrower. He misses badly at times, even with protection. Most of those end up being too low at hitting the WRs feet, which would account for the lack of INTs at this point. He's also lucky in that department: at least two-three defenders dropped likely INTs. I wouldn't put too much weight into his TD/INT ratio at this point. He did show great touch on a 40yd pass over the top of the safeties against TCU. He did look better against LaTech than the other games, so maybe he's getting progressively better in the accuracy department.

3. He can really throw with some zip.

4. He doesn't really look off receivers. He locks into the primary receiver, and if that option isn't open, he will scramble. If Cockrell will watch Sims' eyes, he might get a pick or two.

I know our DBs can cover. That might give us some coverage sacks on Saturday. But again, we need to be careful to contain the scramble. If not, there will be some 3rd-and-longs that turn into 1st downs with Sims' feet.
    Last edited by DukeSean; 10-03-2012 at 03:35 PM.

Ross Cockrell and Tony Foster, Duke DB's, talk UVA - http://bluedevilnation.net/2012/10/d...talk-uva-game/

Anthony Boone and Nick Sink do the same http://bluedevilnation.net/2012/10/d...sink-talk-uva/

But the best link is a Duke-UVA preview with Patrick and UVA beat writer Jerry Ratcliffe http://bluedevilnation.net/2012/10/k...nia-cavaliers/ who braks down the Hoos' from a educated perspective.

Big game, big turnout needed.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    Big game, big turnout needed.
    Got this in my email a few minutes ago.

Blue Devil Fans,
    Duke football is 3-0 at home this season and averaging over 40 points per game. The team kicks off its home ACC schedule this Saturday against Virginia at 3 p.m. and needs you, your family, friends, neighbors and co-workers there to help us fill Wallace Wade Stadium.
    Please click here for a special message from Duke head football coach David Cutcliffe.
    Besides the Virginia game, the Blue Devils also host UNC (October 20th), Clemson (November 3rd) and Miami (November 24th) in Wallace Wade Stadium. Special three and four-game mini-plans and individual game tickets remain on sale at www.goduke.com/tickets or by calling 919-681-BLUE!
    Hope to see you there on Saturday vs. Virginia! Come early, be loud and wear your Duke Blue!
    Go Duke!

Hoping to see Wallace Wade looking respectably filled on Saturday. The weather is supposed to be beautiful and Duke is enjoying a special season, I'm hoping that the improvement on the field will equal more fans in the stands..I think it will. GO DUKE!!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Got this in my email a few minutes ago.

Hoping to see Wallace Wade looking respectably filled on Saturday. The weather is supposed to be beautiful and Duke is enjoying a special season, I'm hoping that the improvement on the field will equal more fans in the stands..I think it will. GO DUKE!!
    With respect to turnout, the ticket site at goduke.com now lets you pick your individual seat and see what's available. When you mouse over a section, it'll say -- in stubhub fasion -- "438 tickets available" or whatever for that section. If I'm recalling correctly, I believe I rough counted about 4K tix available in looking at the sections yesterday. Of course, a different question is whether the 29K that the site is saying are unavailable will actually be used.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    With respect to turnout, the ticket site at goduke.com now lets you pick your individual seat and see what's available. When you mouse over a section, it'll say -- in stubhub fasion -- "438 tickets available" or whatever for that section. If I'm recalling correctly, I believe I rough counted about 4K tix available in looking at the sections yesterday. Of course, a different question is whether the 29K that the site is saying are unavailable will actually be used.
    That's incredibly encouraging.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Duke-Virginia

A small point that bugs me. I know coaches have trouble with opposing players names -- they deal in numbers not names. But you'd think Mike London would know the name of the leading receiver in ACC history.

But Monday during his press conference, he was talking about Duke and he noted how important that No. 2 "I think his name is Varner" is for Duke.

Okay, an easy slip to make Donovan Varner played alongside Conner Vernon for three seasons.

But London did it again Wednesday on the ACC Teleconference. Not once, but twice he confused Vernon with Varner ... at one point he said, "It seems like Renfree and Varner have been there forever."

I know it's petty of me, but I hope that Conner can give him good reason to remember his name this week.

As for Saturday's crowd -- the team has earned some support. I can understand bailing on a bunch of stumblebums headed for another 3-9 season, but these guys have overcome so much adversity to put themselves in position to earn a bowl berth. Give them the home field they deserve.

The part that worries me the most is the student section -- it's been thin all season. No excuse not to turn out in force -- with a 3 p.m. start, they don't have to get up early and they'll still have all Saturday night for partying!

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    ... he was talking about Duke and he noted how important that No. 2 "I think his name is Varner" is for Duke.

Okay, an easy slip to make Donovan Varner played alongside Conner Vernon for three seasons.

But London did it again Wednesday on the ACC Teleconference. Not once, but twice he confused Vernon with Varner ... at one point he said, "It seems like Renfree and Varner have been there forever."

I know it's petty of me, but I hope that Conner can give him good reason to remember his name this week...
    Bulletin board material. A year or two ago, the Ravens used "What's my name?" as a slogan. It was borrowed from an incident where Muhammed Ali was going into a fight, and his opponent refused to call him by the name Ali and said Ali would always be "Cassius Clay" to him.

Apparently, Muhammed kept screaming "What's my name?" as he pummeled the guy throughout the fight.

All good bulletin board material is about respect and feelings of disrespect. That has fueled Duke/Virginia for a long time now, from George Welsh and Spurrier to last year when #13 was dissing Cut and Cut was livid and let London know about it at the post-game handshake.

Virginia was so down for so long in football from the 50s to 1980 that they like looking haughtily down at those they can (given VT pummels them), so they try to do it w/ Duke football. I remember tailgating before a UVa/VT football game in the fall of '98 and some old UVa codger -- when told I was a Duke grad -- said "heh, they play football at Duke, heh, heh (cough, phlegm, cough)" and I said "well, not very well recently, but we play basketball, so make sure that third light bulb is working at UHall when we come to town this year b/c we're hanging three digits on you" (this was leading into the 98/99 season, and we did). Loved hearing all the C'ville radio yokels going on and on about how bad Duke football was before the 99 game .. and we beat them there.

Bulletin board material. A year or two ago, the Ravens used "What's my name?" as a slogan. It was borrowed from an incident where Muhammed Ali was going into a fight, and his opponent refused to call him by the name Ali and said Ali would always be "Cassius Clay" to him.

Apparently, Muhammed kept screaming "What's my name?" as he pummeled the guy throughout the fight.

It was February 6, 1967 in Houston against WBA champ Ernie Terrell. Terrell had won the WBA championship when Ali agreed to a rematch with Sonny Liston. Ali remained the WBC and Ring Magazine champ. I believe the taunting occurred in round 15, after the issue was decided.

sagegrouse

All good bulletin board material is about respect and feelings of disrespect. That has fueled Duke/Virginia for a long time now, from George Welsh and Spurrier to last year when #13 was dissing Cut and Cut was livid and let London know about it at the post-game handshake.

Virginia was so down for so long in football from the 50s to 1980 that they like looking haughtily down at those they can (given VT pummels them), so they try to do it w/ Duke football. I remember tailgating before a UVa/VT football game in the fall of '98 and some old UVa codger -- when told I was a Duke grad -- said "heh, they play football at Duke, heh, heh (cough, phlegm, cough)" and I said "well, not very well recently, but we play basketball, so make sure that third light bulb is working at UHall when we come to town this year b/c we're hanging three digits on you" (this was leading into the 98/99 season, and we did). Loved hearing all the C'ville radio yokels going on and on about how bad Duke football was before the 99 game .. and we beat them there.
    Speaking of talking some trash...

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/10/...-football.html

I hope Conner lets London hear it when he breaks the record and when Duke beats the...who? are we playing again?

Doing my part to send this back to the top.

About 24hrs to kickoff! GO DUKE! BEAT UVA!

Quote Originally Posted by DukeSean View Post
    Doing my part to send this back to the top.

About 24hrs to kickoff! GO DUKE! BEAT UVA!
    Virginia's injury report is full of defensive players:

VIRGINIA

PROBABLE

OT Oday Aboushi (upper extremity)

DT Will Hill (medical)

S Brandon Phelps (upper extremity)

DOUBTFUL

WR Tim Smith (lower extremity)

OUT

DE Billy Schautz (lower extremity)

DT Buddy Ruff (medical)

S Darius Lee (lower extremity)

OUT FOR THE SEASON

S Pablo Alvarez

LB Adam Caplinger

DT Marco Jones

S David Marrs

WR Mario Nixon
    Bob Green

Bump

Back to the top...

Feeling pretty optimistic about the showing of Duke Blue in the stands tomorrow. I hope the home crowd can give the Devils some extra mojo on the field. Let's Go Duke!

#DukeGang

Well, now that my Rangers have once again collapsed, I can focus 100% on Duke Football. Thanks to the wide world of sports, there's always something to root for. Which makes me glad. And makes my wife sad. ;-)

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast

Figured out my own little way into ESPN3 without cable

So now I can stay on the couch. Here we go DUKE!

Beautiful fall weather in NC...a Duke team that's got some truly skilled players and playing with serious determination...absolutely huge game for our guys as this victory would of course make them 5-1(!)...Connor Vernon will almost assuredly become the ACC's all time receptions leader in this game...how can you not want to be a part of this historic day in historic Wallace Wade Stadium? LET'S GO DUKE!!! Let's kick some Wahoo hiney!! We're Durham bound!! Save me some 'cue, TBCC!

Don't do it, Dev11! You can probably still fly out in time for the game! But seriously, enjoy the game. My family was in Colorado for the first time recently for a family reunion more or less...beautiful country to say the least. We stayed at Mt. Princeton Hot Springs resort in Nathrop for a few days and other towns also. Unfortunately we didn't get a chance to spend any time in Denver, just drove through it on the highway. We did get a chance to spend some time hiking & sightseeing in the mountains...would like to go back someday.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by peloton View Post
    Don't do it, Dev11! You can probably still fly out in time for the game! But seriously, enjoy the game. My family was in Colorado for the first time recently for a family reunion more or less...beautiful country to say the least. We stayed at Mt. Princeton Hot Springs resort in Nathrop for a few days and other towns also. Unfortunately we didn't get a chance to spend any time in Denver, just drove through it on the highway. We did get a chance to spend some time hiking & sightseeing in the mountains...would like to go back someday.
    The only thing that dulls the scenery is the lack of Duke games. It's ok, that's why they invented the internet.

Predictions?

31-17 DUKE!

Beat UVA!

Anyplace to watch this online? It's on ESPN3 but that is blacked out in ACC country (retarded).