Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    We might have a winnable game in Tallahassee this year.
    after today, I think all are games are winnable...i'm not sure there's a team in the ACC that's "that" much better than we are that we can't be competitive.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Most impressive stat (if I am recalling my stats correctly):

1st half-Uva rushing yards=181
    2nd half-Uva rushing yards=5
    As we were driving home, the Duke post-game radio show reported UVA had 184 rushing yards in the first half and ONLY 2 NET yards in the second half. The "D" coaches talked about the adjustments they made at the half... they obviously worked. The OFFICIAL stats may have been updated since then. I do know that the scoreboard showed 184 for UVA in the first half.
    What a FUN game.

After seeing what the rest of the ACC has to offer so far and what this Duke team is capable of, I don't think it's too far fetched to think we can have a 2006 WF type season...

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Here's something nice to look at:

COASTAL CONF OVERALL
    Miami (FL) 3-0 4-1
    Duke 2-0 5-1
    Virginia Tech 1-1 3-3
    Georgia Tech 1-3 2-4
    Virginia 0-2 2-4

(UNC is not listed since they are not eligible for post season play.)
    You can really say we have the best record in the ACC right now. Nobody's undefeated. Three teams are 5-1, and we're one of them. Of those three, only one is undefeated in the conference: Duke.

Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by billoz View Post
    As we were driving home, the Duke post-game radio show reported UVA had 184 rushing yards in the first half and ONLY 2 NET yards in the second half.
    This is freaking amazing. I thought it must have been a mistake at first, but I've seen it in several articles. Can't say enough about our defense.

On that note, Jim Knowles deserves some massive praise. What he's been able to accomplish so far with the injuries he's had is nothing short of amazing. We'll certainly miss Vernon, Canty, etc. next year, but I'm most worried that he might end up elsewhere himself; I really hope we can keep him for a few more years.

Aside from the overall performance, it was also impressive that we were shuffling 8 guys in and out on the defensive line today, even with 2-3 starters out (Bruce, Foxx, Wallace). Annunike and Sarmiento are legitimate starters, but Sink, Johnson, Woodruff, Dewalt-Ondijo, Ingram and FR Wray are 2nd/3rd/?? string guys who are starting and getting major minutes. FR Dwayne Norman has been one of our 3 main safeties the past 1.5 games, and has mostly played very well. Backups Tony Foster and Tim Burton are getting major minutes at CB, and we have an effective 4-man LB rotation even with our best one out for the season. Basically, Knowles has done an excellent job of not only getting guys game ready and developing depth, but utilizing that depth very effectively to keep guys fresh without giving up much in the process.

Also, credit to Roper for how he's managed the running game recently. I think he's done a pretty great job of staying with the hot hand and using all 3 RBs effectively to keep them energized and hungry and keep the defense on its toes. Thompson and Snead averaged over 5 YPC today, but Duncan rewarded his continued faith after a tough first half by carrying the offense on the decisive drive to put us up 28-17.

I talked to several UVA fans who were impressed by our overall team speed and number of athletes/playmakers we had, which were such lovely words to hear... you get so used to picking out our flaws and wondering what could go wrong that it's quite the pleasant surprise to realize that we actually appear to have better talent than a low-mid ACC team like UVA or Wake. Surreal.
    Last edited by Greg_Newton; 10-07-2012 at 02:23 AM.

Oh, and:

Vernon's walk back up the track with the crowd going nuts was one of my favorite moments in Wade. You can see how emotional he was, I can't imagine how great it must have felt to effectively seal such a huge game with such a huge play after four years of giving his heart and soul trying to bring Duke football back to respectability. So happy for him and the rest of the seniors today.

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    Part of me wants to get it out of the way and take whoever we beat, but another part of me REALLY wants it to be over the Heels at home in two weeks...

The first time we've ever played UNC not during Thanksgiving break in as long as I can remember? Students will (hopefully) pack the house and we can tear us down some goal posts if we win.

Would be the best night ever.
    LOL. Sounds good, but it will be a far better time if it makes Duke 7-1.

Vernon's walk back up the track with the crowd going nuts was one of my favorite moments in Wade. You can see how emotional he was...
    Greg Newton...exactly. When this happened I said to my teenage son, "Check out Conner - he's so jacked up with all the adrenaline that he's pacing the sideline". He almost looked like a caged animal...hey, he certainly played like an animal! On a totally unrelated note, it was great to spend some time with KillerLeft and his buddy at the game - always enjoy catching some of the game with guys from the board here.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    after today, I think all are games are winnable...i'm not sure there's a team in the ACC that's "that" much better than we are that we can't be competitive.
    That loss to Stanford certainly damaged our NC hopes.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by billoz View Post
    As we were driving home, the Duke post-game radio show reported UVA had 184 rushing yards in the first half and ONLY 2 NET yards in the second half. The "D" coaches talked about the adjustments they made at the half... they obviously worked. The OFFICIAL stats may have been updated since then. I do know that the scoreboard showed 184 for UVA in the first half.
    What a FUN game.
    I couldn't recall exactly how their first half stats broke down. (I'm going to blame the Ymm, Beer thread on the OTB.) I knew they had 321 total yards and was not sure the exact rushing amount. Thanks for the final numbers. Allowing 2 yards rushing is even more impressive than 5. Seriously, the staff did make some outstanding adjustments to correct the first half rushing D as they just ran over, around and through us and several of us wondered why they threw the ball at all considering the success they were having on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Oh, and:

Vernon's walk back up the track with the crowd going nuts was one of my favorite moments in Wade. You can see how emotional he was, I can't imagine how great it must have felt to effectively seal such a huge game with such a huge play after four years of giving his heart and soul trying to bring Duke football back to respectability. So happy for him and the rest of the seniors today.
    I am still amazed that he made that catch. It was in the enclosed end of WW right in front of our seats and we watched it multiple times on replay. Great concentration, pass, effort and result, especially with double coverage on the play. I think I shall watch that a few more times now that you included the replay. His first TD catch of the day was pretty good, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    ...by the second half, the crowd was in the game and making noise, the kind of noise the home team deserves...This is a special year we're having.
    Quality over quantity describes yesterday's gameday atmosphere. The crowd was loud, excited and stayed until late in the 4th quarter. Now let's go beat the Hokies, before coming home and taking care of business against Carolina.

Conner Vernon's second TD reception was beautiful. CV split the double team and Boone's pass was so accurate the ball must have contained GPS guidance. All three long TD passes took place in the closed end of the horseshoe, which is great for those of us seating in General Admission.
    Bob Green

Wow! Just....Wow! So happy for those guys! What a great day.

I was with a bunch of Wha-Who's afterwards, and frankly, there wasn't a ton of surprise. In otherwords, it wasn't an upset. I think everyone is accepting that Duke is respectable now.

The score was a bit of a stunner though....ouch.

Their reply to my grief was, "Just wait until hoops season....oh, wait..."

Running back rotation

Also, credit to Roper for how he's managed the running game recently. I think he's done a pretty great job of staying with the hot hand and using all 3 RBs effectively to keep them energized and hungry and keep the defense on its toes. Thompson and Snead averaged over 5 YPC today, but Duncan rewarded his continued faith after a tough first half by carrying the offense on the decisive drive to put us up 28-17.
    Agree with you. I rarely have anything good to say about Roper, but I liked the way that individual drives in the second half of the game featured a different RB. That seemed to keep them "energized and hungry".

Absolutely right about the crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    I was at the game. The TV commentary may have given some insights we missed in the stands, but the atmosphere that began to develop in the fair to middling sized crowd has been missing for decades...by the second half, the crowd was in the game and making noise, the kind of noise the home team deserves. We still don't have many football cheers, but the fans took it on themselves to get involved and didn't let up.

Looking ahead to the Carolina game, there are tickets still available as well as tickets in 4 packs (4 home games). If you've been wavering about whether to come to a game, please make plans to be at the Carolina game on Oct. 20. This is a special year we're having.
    The crowd was typical in size and make up, but it had a different vibe. We had fun, and lots of it. No turnovers, second half shut out, excellant play in all areas of the game. In the second half, Duke had not just players, but play makers. Wow!
    GTHC

What's happened to the world when the first five threads on the Duke Basketball Report are all about football?

Oh, and:

That catch was RIDICULOUS. Right in front of the student section... What a toss by Boone, too. Perfect placement. Just wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    What's happened to the world when the first five threads on the Duke Basketball Report are all about football?
    Winning, duh!
    Trinity '09

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Is the football team wins a bowl game and the basketball team fails to play in a postseason game past the ACC tournament, motion to rename the board DFR for a week.