Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    I actually thought Vernon's first TD catch was more impressive than the second. It essentially was a jump ball and the Virginia DB had inside position. But Vernon just went up and took it away.

I was reminded of all the times I've seen that play go the other way. A Duke DB in great position on a 50/50 ball but an athletically superior WR comes away with it. Just one play but perhaps symbolic of a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    First of all the Chronicle is incorrect - 1 coach gave a vote to Duke when we were 5-3 in 2009-2010. (The speculation was that it was Phil Fulmer.)

Second of all: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/polls?poll=3 - we got TEN points in the Coaches' poll, good for more than NC STATE! How about that.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    Is the football team wins a bowl game and the basketball team fails to play in a postseason game past the ACC tournament, motion to rename the board DFR for a week.
    The last time Duke went to a bowl, K went on the injury list, and MBB went 2-12 in the ACC. So, bite your tongue.

Also, for the record, I am not one the people who volunteered to give up five December MBB wins in exchange for a win against FIU. I did agree to sacrifice one though. Sorry.

"Sometimes somebody's just gotta make a play..."

Almost mantra-like, sometimes after the fact, I have made that observation about our defense. It usually happens when the situation cries out for that momentum-building play when you can just sense that it will be a game-changer. Obviously, we haven't made enough of those plays for years.

The whole Duke defense, especially considering our injury situation, deserves kudos for a fine second half.

But when it came time to change the game, Walt Canty blitzed twice on the same 4-down set. Both times, once on a crucial 4th-and-1, Walt Canty came up with Wahoo scalps in the offensive backfield. Walt Canty. Just like a speeding bullet. Thanks, Walt.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    What's happened to the world when the first five threads on the Duke Basketball Report are all about football?
    Simple. Two words:

Football school .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Bless Heather Dinich's heart; she almost brought a tear to my eye when I read this...

On a day in which the rest of the ACC forgot how to play defense, Duke shut out Virginia for the entire second half. Duke is not only playing defense this year, it's playing hard-hitting, attitude defense. Virginia had two turnovers. Duke had none. This is a well-coached, disciplined team that is off to a 5-1 start. It's 2-0 in the ACC. It's undefeated at home. And it's ONE WIN away from going bowling for the first time since 1994.

The balance of power has shifted in the Coastal Division, and for the first time in a long time, Duke has it. More importantly, it deserves it.
    From a lifelong Duke fan, thanks for the props, Heather - always enjoy reading your musings on college football. Hopefully we'll continue to impress you (and others).

Quote Originally Posted by peloton View Post
    Bless Heather Dinich's heart; she almost brought a tear to my eye when I read this...

From a lifelong Duke fan, thanks for the props, Heather - always enjoy reading your musings on college football. Hopefully we'll continue to impress you (and others).
    Take a look at her Bowl preditions at this link.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Take a look at her Bowl preditions at this link.
    I'd say the Belk Bowl corresponds to a 3-3 finish to the season. 2-4 would get us Music City or Independence -- which is what I predict at this point. 1-5 and we're in the Military Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by ForkFondler View Post
    I'd say the Belk Bowl corresponds to a 3-3 finish to the season. 2-4 would get us Music City or Independence -- which is what I predict at this point. 1-5 and we're in the Military Bowl.
    5-1 or 6-0 and we are playing after NYE.

Just sayin'

5-1 or 6-0 and we are playing after NYE.

Just sayin'
    OldPhiKap doing his best Ozzie impersonation!

He is not the only one. In the post game press conference Luke Decock was discussing the possibilities of Duke playing in the ACC Title game even if they happen to lose next week to Va. Tech. I personally think a win agaisnt Virginia Tech is not only possible but very probable given how these two team are playing right now. Hokies are tough and tough at home, but they are not the same team they have been. And Duke isn't either and that is a good thing.

If you haven't been already, you should be reading Dinich's ESPN ACC blog. She's terrific - fair and good analyses of the situations, never talking anyone down, always talking about the interesting things regarding every team, even those who are way out of it.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by mkline09 View Post
    He is not the only one. In the post game press conference Luke Decock was discussing the possibilities of Duke playing in the ACC Title game even if they happen to lose next week to Va. Tech. I personally think a win agaisnt Virginia Tech is not only possible but very probable given how these two team are playing right now. Hokies are tough and tough at home, but they are not the same team they have been. And Duke isn't either and that is a good thing.
    I think Carolina did us a definite disfavor by humiliating the Hokies. They will be more than ready for us. Your "very probable" win smacks of extreme over-confidence. If Duke brings its A or B game it will definitely be a game -- but I expect Tech to be bringing its A game as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    I think Carolina did us a definite disfavor by humiliating the Hokies. They will be more than ready for us. Your "very probable" win smacks of extreme over-confidence. If Duke brings its A or B game it will definitely be a game -- but I expect Tech to be bringing its A game as well.
    Couldn't one just as easily say that Pitt and Cincy did Carolina a disfavor by humiliating the Hokies? Maybe they did bring their A game to Chapel Hill.

I certainly don't think a Duke win next Saturday is very probable, even probable. But VT is 3-3 on merit. They have some flaws and are quite beatable.

Quote Originally Posted by mkline09 View Post
    He is not the only one. In the post game press conference Luke Decock was discussing the possibilities of Duke playing in the ACC Title game even if they happen to lose next week to Va. Tech.
    Unfortunately we got FSU and Clemson on our schedule from the other division instead of BC and Maryland. If the team wants to win the conference then we're very likely going to need to beat VT. We're also in the uncomfortable position of being helped by every Carolina win (UNC can't make the postseason, so every loss they tack on to someone else in our division is helpful).

Serious props need to go to our secondary for what they've been doing with all the injuries. The Foster interception kept us afloat in a first half in which I thought we "deserved" to be down by a lot more than 3 points, and Canty's 4th down stop was the most important play of the game to me.

Also our punter is awesome. Nine punts and their longest return is 6 yards?

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Unfortunately we got FSU and Clemson on our schedule from the other division instead of BC and Maryland. If the team wants to win the conference then we're very likely going to need to beat VT. We're also in the uncomfortable position of being helped by every Carolina win (UNC can't make the postseason, so every loss they tack on to someone else in our division is helpful).

Serious props need to go to our secondary for what they've been doing with all the injuries. The Foster interception kept us afloat in a first half in which I thought we "deserved" to be down by a lot more than 3 points, and Canty's 4th down stop was the most important play of the game to me.

Also our punter is awesome. Nine punts and their longest return is 6 yards?

For about a 47 yard average, too. Did he have 2 or 3 down inside the 20? I'm just glad his leg did not get tired or pull a groin muscle with 9 punts. That's a busy afternoon for him.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Couldn't one just as easily say that Pitt and Cincy did Carolina a disfavor by humiliating the Hokies? Maybe they did bring their A game to Chapel Hill.

I certainly don't think a Duke win next Saturday is very probable, even probable. But VT is 3-3 on merit. They have some flaws and are quite beatable.
    Agreed. Hokies had every reason the be in top form on Saturday -- they still had a chance to go undefeated in conference (and they have a history of following OOC missteps with great conference play). But there was a complete defensive collapse. At this point, the weight of potentially being the worst Va Tech team in 20 years may result in unhelpful pressure for them. Consider what happened in Chapel Hill during basketball season a few years ago when the wheels started to come off.

I think the spread seems right. Blacksburg is a very tough place to win a game, but, if you have to play there, this might be the season.
    "Just like you man. I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase." Omar Little

Quote Originally Posted by RepoMan View Post
    Agreed. Hokies had every reason the be in top form on Saturday -- they still had a chance to go undefeated in conference (and they have a history of following OOC missteps with great conference play). But there was a complete defensive collapse. At this point, the weight of potentially being the worst Va Tech team in 20 years may result in unhelpful pressure for them. Consider what happened in Chapel Hill during basketball season a few years ago when the wheels started to come off.

I think the spread seems right. Blacksburg is a very tough place to win a game, but, if you have to play there, this might be the season.
    Get up on them early, turn the pressure on and bring out the boo birds. Can't wait for the second half to turn it on; we need to start the way we finished Saturday.

Smoke the Turkeys!

Not true. I allowed that we may have one loss. ;>)