Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

FB: Duke 42, Virginia 17

Great win, time to prove we are in it to win it. Any team that needs multiple nicknames is by definition insecure. RIP 'EM UP, TEAR 'EM UP, GIVE'M HELL DUKE!!!!

Certainly winnable - UVA has lost three in a row, including a 36-point loss at GT and home loss to (a probably underrated) Middle Tennessee today. They probably still have more talent on paper, but I wonder we might even be favored by the early lines?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    ...Middle Tennessee...
    *sorry, La. Tech. It's hard to keep up with all of the ACC upsets today...

*sorry, La. Tech. It's hard to keep up with all of the ACC upsets today...
    La. Tech was a 3 1/2 point favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by House G View Post
    La. Tech was a 3 1/2 point favorite.
    Yep, this one went about the way most of us expected it today. Duke should be about a 6-point favorite next weekend. Should be an interesting and exciting game.

Let's Go DUKE!
    Let's Go DUKE!
    Let's Go DUKE!
    Let's Go DUKE!
    Let's Go DUKE!
    Let's Go DUKE!
    Let's Go DUKE!

Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Favorite or not... this is Duke's chance to keep the ball rolling... 0-0 and starting to get crazy

GO DUKE!!!!!

Unfortunately, we'll be without August Campbell, who has left the team for personal reasons (???). I don't know what the story is, but it really hurts us, as DBs Braxton, Butler, Tavarez, Sowell and McCarthy are already out with injuries until we hear otherwise.

Favorite, schmavorite...we haven't proven to anyone that we can beat Coach London and his Cavs this season. As Desmond was essentially saying in his post game comments the team is 0-0 each weekend...they want to go 1-0 this coming Saturday. I'm hoping that we have a huge crowd because these guys certainly deserve the fans' support...especially considering the adversity we're (still) having to deal with in regard to injuries. In the past I've heard Duke fans either say or imply that they don't go to Duke football games because "we suck". Well, this team doesn't suck; far from it - they're making plays when they need to, displaying some serious determination, and are gaining the respect from other ACC institutions' fans as evidenced by comments on message boards. Let's demonstrate our support for Coach Cut and this team and appreciation for their efforts so far by having a great crowd against UVa.

Let's go Duke!!

Unfortunately, we'll be without August Campbell, who has left the team for personal reasons (???). I don't know what the story is, but it really hurts us, as DBs Braxton, Butler, Tavarez, Sowell and McCarthy are already out with injuries until we hear otherwise.
    I wish him the best, but it hurts the team. Maybe he'll come back next season.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I wish him the best, but it hurts the team. Maybe he'll come back next season.
    Maybe. But he had been out with an upper body injury (not clearly specified). He had come off the injured list for Wake, but according to GoDuke's Participation Report in the Final Book did not play .

He may simply be too banged up and he or his family are concerned about his reinjuring himself. Staff might think he's healthy enough to play. If that's the problem, it is his personal decision and maybe a perfectly good one. Of course, it might also be something unrelated to football--some kind of family matter.

In any event, whether injury-related or something else, since he didn't play at Wake it's hard to see how his withdrawal hurts the team any worse than his absence had in previous games.

I, too, wish him well.

Angry No Respect

Quote Originally Posted by VAGentleman05 View Post
    Yep, this one went about the way most of us expected it today. Duke should be about a 6-point favorite next weekend. Should be an interesting and exciting game.

I did some Googling but could not find an active line on this game. Here's a couple sites to keep an eye on:
    http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/odds/spread
    http://freepicks.picksandparlays.net...es-and-totals/
    I am very surprised to see UNC as a 3 point favorite over VPI at home. Hmmm.

As a northern Virginia resident we see a lot of UVA coverage, but in the last ten years it has become overwhelmingly Va Tech for FB coverage. And boy can you see the tide has changed on game day in northern VA, with many, many cars and homes now flying those VPI colors (I may be misremembering, but it seems to me 15 years ago you saw much more UVA colors everywhere). Anyway, the media up here seems very keen on the new UVA Head Coach, who was "promoted" from U of R, where he created a second-division powerhouse (and beat Duke). They have also had terrific recruiting success at Wahoo-U over the last two years. I have NO DOUBT that these kids will be coming into Durham with the clear expectation that they will win on Saturday, as will many/most of their fans. Yes, they have had a couple of close, disappointing losses this year, after a great (and surprising) ride to Bowl-dom last year. But many of the UVA fans I know have real disdain for Duke football, and are coming in this week expecting more of the same from us.

In any event, given the talent levels and recent history, I just do not see Duke being favored by 6. I expect it to be within 3 points either way. Most bettors still don't respect Duke on the FB field yet.

But can you just imagine... entering mid-October with only one loss on our slate. When was the last time THAT ever happened?? -- I'm sure that it has been decades... (!!!)

Go Duke!

P.S. Any word on the status of Renfree's elbow?? That could have a real impact on the rest of our season's prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    I did some Googling but could not find an active line on this game. Here's a couple sites to keep an eye on:
    http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/odds/spread
    http://freepicks.picksandparlays.net...es-and-totals/
    I am very surprised to see UNC as a 3 point favorite over VPI at home. Hmmm.

As a northern Virginia resident we see a lot of UVA coverage, but in the last ten years it has become overwhelmingly Va Tech for FB coverage. And boy can you see the tide has changed on game day in northern VA, with many, many cars and homes now flying those VPI colors (I may be misremembering, but it seems to me 15 years ago you saw much more UVA colors everywhere). Anyway, the media up here seems very keen on the new UVA Head Coach, who was "promoted" from U of R, where he created a second-division powerhouse (and beat Duke). They have also had terrific recruiting success at Wahoo-U over the last two years. I have NO DOUBT that these kids will be coming into Durham with the clear expectation that they will win on Saturday, as will many/most of their fans. Yes, they have had a couple of close, disappointing losses this year, after a great (and surprising) ride to Bowl-dom last year. But many of the UVA fans I know have real disdain for Duke football, and are coming in this week expecting more of the same from us.

In any event, given the talent levels and recent history, I just do not see Duke being favored by 6. I expect it to be within 3 points either way. Most bettors still don't respect Duke on the FB field yet.

But can you just imagine... entering mid-October with only one loss on our slate. When was the last time THAT ever happened?? -- I'm sure that it has been decades... (!!!)

Go Duke!

P.S. Any word on the status of Renfree's elbow?? That could have a real impact on the rest of our season's prospects.
    Good analysis. I can't imagine Duke being favored by more than 1-3 points, if that. And I suspect there's no early line yet due to uncertainty about Renfree. I like Boone as a young QB, but frankly we'll be definite underdogs if
    Renfree can't play.

Cutcliffe says he's day to day, and Cutcliffe likes to play Secret Squirrel with our injuries and depth chart, so we may know nothing until Saturday afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by peloton View Post
    In the past I've heard Duke fans either say or imply that they don't go to Duke football games because "we suck". Well, this team doesn't suck; far from it - they're making plays when they need to, displaying some serious determination, and are gaining the respect from other ACC institutions' fans as evidenced by comments on message boards. Let's demonstrate our support for Coach Cut and this team and appreciation for their efforts so far by having a great crowd against UVa.

Let's go Duke!!
    If ever a Duke team needed an emotional boost from its fanbase it's this one, at this time. Time for the fans to hoist the standard and sound the charge, I'm betting the troops will respond. (Okay boys, Cut says short straw gets to play safety this week.)

Angry Feinstein again...

Once more demonstrating his hate-love relationship with his alma-mater, John Feinstein has an article up in today's Washington Post Sports section. The article is focusing on the bad weekend for DC-area college FB teams. After numerous paragraphs discussing how bag things have been locally, especially this past weekend, he has this little backhand for his old school:

"As for the area's FBS teams, their immediate futures appear murky at best."
    "The best news for Virginia should be its schedule the next three weeks: at Duke, Maryland at home, and at Wake Forest. Duke is improved - it beat Wake for the first time in this century on Saturday - but it is still Duke. ...Wake Forest? Well, it lost to Duke at home. Enough said. The Cavaliers could easily win all three games."

Bulletin board anyone?

BTW, in discussing VPI's prospects later in the article he discusses their tougher upcoming slate, inserting into the middle this dig, "Virginia Tech's schedule is about as daunting as an ACC schedule can be - how daunting, fter all, can an ACC schedule be? The Hokies play at North Carolina, get a breather at home against Duke, and then go back on the road against Clemson and Miami..."

As I said before, they still don't respect us. Not until we start beating them.

Beat UVA, Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    If ever a Duke team needed an emotional boost from its fanbase it's this one, at this time. Time for the fans to hoist the standard and sound the charge, I'm betting the troops will respond. (Okay boys, Cut says short straw gets to play safety this week.)
    Are you a Duke fan who's been waiting on a meaningful game to show your support in person? Here it is!! Our depth has been exposed, and the guys have kept on winning. This game is huge for Duke. A big crowd could very well spell the difference.

Come out, come out, wherever you are
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Beating UVa a few years ago was a big game for the program. The game this coming Saturday could be a second big game for a win over Virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    Once more demonstrating his hate-love relationship with his alma-mater, John Feinstein has an article up in today's Washington Post Sports section. The article is focusing on the bad weekend for DC-area college FB teams. After numerous paragraphs discussing how bag things have been locally, especially this past weekend, he has this little backhand for his old school:

"As for the area's FBS teams, their immediate futures appear murky at best."
    "The best news for Virginia should be its schedule the next three weeks: at Duke, Maryland at home, and at Wake Forest. Duke is improved - it beat Wake for the first time in this century on Saturday - but it is still Duke. ...Wake Forest? Well, it lost to Duke at home. Enough said. The Cavaliers could easily win all three games."

Bulletin board anyone?

BTW, in discussing VPI's prospects later in the article he discusses their tougher upcoming slate, inserting into the middle this dig, "Virginia Tech's schedule is about as daunting as an ACC schedule can be - how daunting, fter all, can an ACC schedule be? The Hokies play at North Carolina, get a breather at home against Duke, and then go back on the road against Clemson and Miami..."

As I said before, they still don't respect us. Not until we start beating them.

Beat UVA, Duke.
    Let folks keep thinking we're "the same old Duke" until we pin a big "L" on them.

Can't say this is surprising, and given our history I can't say it is undeserved. But none of our wins this year were flukes -- and they are all games we would have lost in years past.

Baby steps. Beat Virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    But none of our wins this year were flukes -- and they are all games we would have lost in years past.
    Agreed. However, I would also say that none of our wins this year are particularly notable (except for the internal satisfaction of finally beating Wake). This is probably Wake's weakest team in years, just judging from results so far. The FIU win might actually be the most notable -- and that final score belied the even nature of the line play of the two teams. If we somehow beat the Hoos to win two league games in a row, then I might start getting impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    Agreed. However, I would also say that none of our wins this year are particularly notable (except for the internal satisfaction of finally beating Wake). This is probably Wake's weakest team in years, just judging from results so far. The FIU win might actually be the most notable -- and that final score belied the even nature of the line play of the two teams. If we somehow beat the Hoos to win two league games in a row, then I might start getting impressed.
    I think I am a bit further down the "impressed" train rail than you are, although your position is not without justification. I will say, however, that we were underdogs and got a road win under our belt already -- never easy. And we looked pretty good doing it, I think.

My biggest concern with this weekend is our injury list. Getting mighty long.