Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

FB: Duke 42, Virginia 17

Great win, time to prove we are in it to win it. Any team that needs multiple nicknames is by definition insecure. RIP 'EM UP, TEAR 'EM UP, GIVE'M HELL DUKE!!!!

Certainly winnable - UVA has lost three in a row, including a 36-point loss at GT and home loss to (a probably underrated) Middle Tennessee today. They probably still have more talent on paper, but I wonder we might even be favored by the early lines?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    ...Middle Tennessee...
    *sorry, La. Tech. It's hard to keep up with all of the ACC upsets today...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    *sorry, La. Tech. It's hard to keep up with all of the ACC upsets today...
    La. Tech was a 3 1/2 point favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by House G View Post
    La. Tech was a 3 1/2 point favorite.
    Yep, this one went about the way most of us expected it today. Duke should be about a 6-point favorite next weekend. Should be an interesting and exciting game.

Let's Go DUKE!
    Let's Go DUKE!
    Let's Go DUKE!
    Let's Go DUKE!
    Let's Go DUKE!
    Let's Go DUKE!
    Let's Go DUKE!

Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Favorite or not... this is Duke's chance to keep the ball rolling... 0-0 and starting to get crazy

GO DUKE!!!!!

Favorite, schmavorite...we haven't proven to anyone that we can beat Coach London and his Cavs this season. As Desmond was essentially saying in his post game comments the team is 0-0 each weekend...they want to go 1-0 this coming Saturday. I'm hoping that we have a huge crowd because these guys certainly deserve the fans' support...especially considering the adversity we're (still) having to deal with in regard to injuries. In the past I've heard Duke fans either say or imply that they don't go to Duke football games because "we suck". Well, this team doesn't suck; far from it - they're making plays when they need to, displaying some serious determination, and are gaining the respect from other ACC institutions' fans as evidenced by comments on message boards. Let's demonstrate our support for Coach Cut and this team and appreciation for their efforts so far by having a great crowd against UVa.

Let's go Duke!!

Quote Originally Posted by peloton View Post
    In the past I've heard Duke fans either say or imply that they don't go to Duke football games because "we suck". Well, this team doesn't suck; far from it - they're making plays when they need to, displaying some serious determination, and are gaining the respect from other ACC institutions' fans as evidenced by comments on message boards. Let's demonstrate our support for Coach Cut and this team and appreciation for their efforts so far by having a great crowd against UVa.

Let's go Duke!!
    If ever a Duke team needed an emotional boost from its fanbase it's this one, at this time. Time for the fans to hoist the standard and sound the charge, I'm betting the troops will respond. (Okay boys, Cut says short straw gets to play safety this week.)

Angry Feinstein again...

Once more demonstrating his hate-love relationship with his alma-mater, John Feinstein has an article up in today's Washington Post Sports section. The article is focusing on the bad weekend for DC-area college FB teams. After numerous paragraphs discussing how bag things have been locally, especially this past weekend, he has this little backhand for his old school:

"As for the area's FBS teams, their immediate futures appear murky at best."
    "The best news for Virginia should be its schedule the next three weeks: at Duke, Maryland at home, and at Wake Forest. Duke is improved - it beat Wake for the first time in this century on Saturday - but it is still Duke. ...Wake Forest? Well, it lost to Duke at home. Enough said. The Cavaliers could easily win all three games."

Bulletin board anyone?

BTW, in discussing VPI's prospects later in the article he discusses their tougher upcoming slate, inserting into the middle this dig, "Virginia Tech's schedule is about as daunting as an ACC schedule can be - how daunting, fter all, can an ACC schedule be? The Hokies play at North Carolina, get a breather at home against Duke, and then go back on the road against Clemson and Miami..."

As I said before, they still don't respect us. Not until we start beating them.

Beat UVA, Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    Once more demonstrating his hate-love relationship with his alma-mater, John Feinstein has an article up in today's Washington Post Sports section. The article is focusing on the bad weekend for DC-area college FB teams. After numerous paragraphs discussing how bag things have been locally, especially this past weekend, he has this little backhand for his old school:

"As for the area's FBS teams, their immediate futures appear murky at best."
    "The best news for Virginia should be its schedule the next three weeks: at Duke, Maryland at home, and at Wake Forest. Duke is improved - it beat Wake for the first time in this century on Saturday - but it is still Duke. ...Wake Forest? Well, it lost to Duke at home. Enough said. The Cavaliers could easily win all three games."

Bulletin board anyone?

BTW, in discussing VPI's prospects later in the article he discusses their tougher upcoming slate, inserting into the middle this dig, "Virginia Tech's schedule is about as daunting as an ACC schedule can be - how daunting, fter all, can an ACC schedule be? The Hokies play at North Carolina, get a breather at home against Duke, and then go back on the road against Clemson and Miami..."

As I said before, they still don't respect us. Not until we start beating them.

Beat UVA, Duke.
    Let folks keep thinking we're "the same old Duke" until we pin a big "L" on them.

Can't say this is surprising, and given our history I can't say it is undeserved. But none of our wins this year were flukes -- and they are all games we would have lost in years past.

Baby steps. Beat Virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    But none of our wins this year were flukes -- and they are all games we would have lost in years past.
    Agreed. However, I would also say that none of our wins this year are particularly notable (except for the internal satisfaction of finally beating Wake). This is probably Wake's weakest team in years, just judging from results so far. The FIU win might actually be the most notable -- and that final score belied the even nature of the line play of the two teams. If we somehow beat the Hoos to win two league games in a row, then I might start getting impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    Agreed. However, I would also say that none of our wins this year are particularly notable (except for the internal satisfaction of finally beating Wake). This is probably Wake's weakest team in years, just judging from results so far. The FIU win might actually be the most notable -- and that final score belied the even nature of the line play of the two teams. If we somehow beat the Hoos to win two league games in a row, then I might start getting impressed.
    I think I am a bit further down the "impressed" train rail than you are, although your position is not without justification. I will say, however, that we were underdogs and got a road win under our belt already -- never easy. And we looked pretty good doing it, I think.

My biggest concern with this weekend is our injury list. Getting mighty long.

close game...

I’ve been to all the home games in Charlottesville this year and have a few observations about the Hoo’s. Although the record of 2-3 isn’t good, ball security and turnovers have contributed to these losses. With Sims replacing Rocco at QB, ball security should be improved. Sims seems to be more efficient and although both have around 61% completion rate, Sims has 5 TD with 0 interceptions, while Rocco has had only 6TD with 100 more passing attempts. UVa plays a timing-based offense and Sims has needed time to get comfortable with the playbook. Jamming the receivers at the line of scrimmage to interrupt the timing of the pass could help Duke. The Hoo’s ground game has been anemic this year, in contrast to a good running game last year, especially from Park and Jones. I think they will try and get the backs more involved and open up the receivers for Sims. Of note, UVa also may have a few injured players coming back.

I think this will be a close and exciting game. Can’t wait….

2-3 isn't good, but honestly UVA should be 1-4. PSU was a giveaway.

I watched the archives of Sims in the GT, TCU, and LaTech games, and while it's hard to make any statements about him as a QB, here's a couple thoughts:

1. He's a mobile quarterback. He has the ability to scramble and make tacklers miss, so that will be a point of concern for us. We've done a good job of getting to the QB in our games, but sometimes have trouble containing a scrambling QB. We will need to contain him in the pocket or Sims will do some damage

2. He's not a terribly accurate thrower. He misses badly at times, even with protection. Most of those end up being too low at hitting the WRs feet, which would account for the lack of INTs at this point. He's also lucky in that department: at least two-three defenders dropped likely INTs. I wouldn't put too much weight into his TD/INT ratio at this point. He did show great touch on a 40yd pass over the top of the safeties against TCU. He did look better against LaTech than the other games, so maybe he's getting progressively better in the accuracy department.

3. He can really throw with some zip.

4. He doesn't really look off receivers. He locks into the primary receiver, and if that option isn't open, he will scramble. If Cockrell will watch Sims' eyes, he might get a pick or two.

I know our DBs can cover. That might give us some coverage sacks on Saturday. But again, we need to be careful to contain the scramble. If not, there will be some 3rd-and-longs that turn into 1st downs with Sims' feet.
    Last edited by DukeSean; 10-03-2012 at 03:35 PM.

Most impressive stat (if I am recalling my stats correctly):

1st half-Uva rushing yards=181
    2nd half-Uva rushing yards=5
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Most impressive stat (if I am recalling my stats correctly):

1st half-Uva rushing yards=181
    2nd half-Uva rushing yards=5
    As we were driving home, the Duke post-game radio show reported UVA had 184 rushing yards in the first half and ONLY 2 NET yards in the second half. The "D" coaches talked about the adjustments they made at the half... they obviously worked. The OFFICIAL stats may have been updated since then. I do know that the scoreboard showed 184 for UVA in the first half.
    What a FUN game.

After seeing what the rest of the ACC has to offer so far and what this Duke team is capable of, I don't think it's too far fetched to think we can have a 2006 WF type season...

Quote Originally Posted by billoz View Post
    As we were driving home, the Duke post-game radio show reported UVA had 184 rushing yards in the first half and ONLY 2 NET yards in the second half.
    This is freaking amazing. I thought it must have been a mistake at first, but I've seen it in several articles. Can't say enough about our defense.

On that note, Jim Knowles deserves some massive praise. What he's been able to accomplish so far with the injuries he's had is nothing short of amazing. We'll certainly miss Vernon, Canty, etc. next year, but I'm most worried that he might end up elsewhere himself; I really hope we can keep him for a few more years.

Aside from the overall performance, it was also impressive that we were shuffling 8 guys in and out on the defensive line today, even with 2-3 starters out (Bruce, Foxx, Wallace). Annunike and Sarmiento are legitimate starters, but Sink, Johnson, Woodruff, Dewalt-Ondijo, Ingram and FR Wray are 2nd/3rd/?? string guys who are starting and getting major minutes. FR Dwayne Norman has been one of our 3 main safeties the past 1.5 games, and has mostly played very well. Backups Tony Foster and Tim Burton are getting major minutes at CB, and we have an effective 4-man LB rotation even with our best one out for the season. Basically, Knowles has done an excellent job of not only getting guys game ready and developing depth, but utilizing that depth very effectively to keep guys fresh without giving up much in the process.

Also, credit to Roper for how he's managed the running game recently. I think he's done a pretty great job of staying with the hot hand and using all 3 RBs effectively to keep them energized and hungry and keep the defense on its toes. Thompson and Snead averaged over 5 YPC today, but Duncan rewarded his continued faith after a tough first half by carrying the offense on the decisive drive to put us up 28-17.

I talked to several UVA fans who were impressed by our overall team speed and number of athletes/playmakers we had, which were such lovely words to hear... you get so used to picking out our flaws and wondering what could go wrong that it's quite the pleasant surprise to realize that we actually appear to have better talent than a low-mid ACC team like UVA or Wake. Surreal.
    Last edited by Greg_Newton; 10-07-2012 at 02:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by billoz View Post
    As we were driving home, the Duke post-game radio show reported UVA had 184 rushing yards in the first half and ONLY 2 NET yards in the second half. The "D" coaches talked about the adjustments they made at the half... they obviously worked. The OFFICIAL stats may have been updated since then. I do know that the scoreboard showed 184 for UVA in the first half.
    What a FUN game.
    I couldn't recall exactly how their first half stats broke down. (I'm going to blame the Ymm, Beer thread on the OTB.) I knew they had 321 total yards and was not sure the exact rushing amount. Thanks for the final numbers. Allowing 2 yards rushing is even more impressive than 5. Seriously, the staff did make some outstanding adjustments to correct the first half rushing D as they just ran over, around and through us and several of us wondered why they threw the ball at all considering the success they were having on the ground.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.