Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looper

All further proof that there is only one time travel show that has ever...um...stood the test of time (travel)...

Quantum Leap

Keep on keeping on, Sam!

My wife and I (finally) saw Looper at our favorite local cheap theater last night. It was released on DVD/Blu-Ray today, so hopefully my timing isn't too untimely.

There were two issues that I drug up this thread to research. The first, why the Rainmaker's henchmen killed Joe's wife (when it is apparently a huge deal to kill someone in 2074), was already addressed here. Not only that, but why would the henchmen carry traditional guns if killing people is not a viable option in 2074? I guess they could shoot them in the leg or something to make them easier to tie up. It seems like there would be better tools for that job. If I were Joe and I knew they were going through a bunch of trouble to send him back in time and pay a contracted killer from the past, I'm not particularly worried about being shot by a henchman.

The other issue is why Sarah got concerned when Joe told her he was a looper. How does she know what a looper is? This seemed significant at the time, but we never got any other indication that she was concerned or connected with time travel or crime organizations. Did I miss something?

Overall, it was very entertaining. I agree that it was a little on the dark side for my tastes. I have to admit (not trying to go PPB here) that after the events of recent weeks, this was the first time that I felt a little guilty about watching such a violent film. I'm not sure that old Joe shooting his way through all of the gat men added anything to the plot at all. I certainly didn't need any more proof that old Joe was motivated to save his wife. His shooting the first Rainmaker candidate was enough proof for me. If Looper was set to release the next few months, I wonder if that scene would have been edited out.

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    Overall, it was very entertaining. I agree that it was a little on the dark side for my tastes. I have to admit (not trying to go PPB here) that after the events of recent weeks, this was the first time that I felt a little guilty about watching such a violent film. I'm not sure that old Joe shooting his way through all of the gat men added anything to the plot at all. I certainly didn't need any more proof that old Joe was motivated to save his wife. His shooting the first Rainmaker candidate was enough proof for me. If Looper was set to release the next few months, I wonder if that scene would have been edited out.
    And I watched it last night too, and had similar, but stronger, thoughts - I'm not sure the movie would have seen the light of day, given the task Old Joe was undertaking with regard to the Rainmaker. There would have to have been some substantial rewrites.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    And I watched it last night too, and had similar, but stronger, thoughts - I'm not sure the movie would have seen the light of day, given the task Old Joe was undertaking with regard to the Rainmaker. There would have to have been some substantial rewrites.
    I take it you have not watched Django over the holiday.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    I take it you have not watched Django over the holiday.
    I don't recall young children being gunned down in Django the way they are in Looper. The problem with Looper is not the violence, it is the act of shooting a child (even if that child might grow up to become a super-evil mob boss).

I think Looper had a very compelling story to tell and the death of the potential rainmakers was part of that story. It was essential to the plot and editing it to sanitize things in light of the school shooting tragedy would be a poor decision, in my mind.

--Jason "hmmm, I think I need to buy Looper on Blu-Ray" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Mrs moonpie and i watched it last night...right now it's about a 7 with me and a "it was well done but i never want to see it again" with her. I too enjoyed the multiple layers of possibilities but i usually let the analytical part of the movie watching process take place on the 2nd or 3rd watching...(inception, memento). I just let it soak in a bit.

that said, while crushing as it could be regarding the killing of children for POSSIBLY being the rainmaker, it was done about as well as could be without actually SEEING the child murdered.. (a part that, no doubt, got it on the banned list with mrs. pie)

the kid was really pretty good....I'll come back to this thread after i watch again...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Saw Looper a little while back and I'd say it was thoroughly enjoyable. My one insurmountable problem with the movie is that it followed the time travel rules from Back to the Future -- vanishing limbs and all. Of all the different time travelling paradigms used by movies over the years, this one is quite possibly the most nonsensical. But once I got over that, I must say I had a pretty good time.

If you want to see a truly interesting take on time travel, check out the movie Primer (2004). It's pretty short -- a great way to spend 77 minutes -- and it still amazes me that it was made on a budget of $7,000. It also won the Grand Jury Prize at Sundance that year. Strongly recommended.

Looper is on cable this month. I know folks have dissected the flaws in this film over-and-over again to the point where it has become almost fashionable to rip on it, but I have found myself sucked in twice in the past week and watched the film pretty much from start to finish. It is one heck of a cool and thought-provoking ride!

-Jason "Bruce Willis's escape and massacre at the Looper HQ is silly though, I have reached the point where I fast forward through that part of the film" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?