The Players Championship

What can you say? The back 9 of the last round was fascinating. Tiger hitting water on 14 to lose the outright lead (double bogey). Maggert hitting water on 17 to lose the lead. Sergio hitting water twice on 17 (quad bogey), then on 18 (double bogey), to lose the lead and everything else. The course was playing hard. There were so many players who kinda lost it on the back 9 that could of won it with a few great shots - Lingmerth (bogey on 14 and 18), Stenson (bogey on 14 and 18), Laird (bogey on 18), Palmer (bogey on 16), Whittenberg (bogey on 13, 14, 15), Westwood (bogey on 14, 17), Crane (bogey on 15, 18). Streelman played bogey free on the back none to make a great push.
    ~rthomas

Much to the chagrin of the Tiger haters, he is playing some of,the best golf of his career. It is amazing that he has completely remade his swing and is once again dominant. 4 wins in 7 starts I think it is, and absent a horrible break at the masters who knows what happens there. Sergio absolutely wilted,after running his mouth all week.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    Much to the chagrin of the Tiger haters, he is playing some of,the best golf of his career. It is amazing that he has completely remade his swing and is once again dominant. 4 wins in 7 starts I think it is, and absent a horrible break at the masters who knows what happens there. Sergio absolutely wilted,after running his mouth all week.
    Is he playing some of the best golf of his career? Maybe it is just selective memory but it certainly doesn't seem that he is as dominant as he once was. Not that he still can't be very good but the days of him running away with a tournament or instilling fear in others seems lost. Still a great player but I don't think old Tiger splashes that ball. It also seems Tiger plays a much more conservative game so the days of Tiger going 12 under at the US Open won't ever be back.

I like Tiger and think he is the best player in the world and maybe he is just a victim of his past success but it certainly seems the gap between him and the rest of the field has lessened. I'm intrigued to see how he does in the rest of the majors and while I think he should be the favorite, I don't think you take him vs the field which I used to do back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by sporthenry View Post
    Is he playing some of the best golf of his career? Maybe it is just selective memory but it certainly doesn't seem that he is as dominant as he once was. Not that he still can't be very good but the days of him running away with a tournament or instilling fear in others seems lost. Still a great player but I don't think old Tiger splashes that ball. It also seems Tiger plays a much more conservative game so the days of Tiger going 12 under at the US Open won't ever be back.

I like Tiger and think he is the best player in the world and maybe he is just a victim of his past success but it certainly seems the gap between him and the rest of the field has lessened. I'm intrigued to see how he does in the rest of the majors and while I think he should be the favorite, I don't think you take him vs the field which I used to do back in the day.
    In terms of results, this has certainly been one of his best starts to a season ever. It's not as good as his 2008 start (where he won 6 of 8 tournaments, finished 2nd in a 7th and 5th in the 8th), but it is certainly among his best stretches to begin a season (winning 4 of 7; top-5 finish in the only major so far).

Will he ever reach his apex again? Almost certainly not. But his apex was at a level that is absolutely unparalleled. As is, he'll just have to settle for being the best golfer in the world at the moment.

I didn't know there was a controversy, but Ed Hardin of the Greensboro News-Record certainly takes a harsh view of Tiger's interpretations of rules lately. Everybody knows about Augusta, but apparently there were two incidents at the Stadium Course. I briefly heard Sergio talking about the "gamesmanship" Tiger supposedly used against him on Saturday, but this is the first I've heard about the other:

http://www.news-record.com/sports/12...marred-victory

Anybody notice the possible 75-yard advantage on the drop? I somehow missed that.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    I didn't know there was a controversy, but Ed Hardin of the Greensboro News-Record certainly takes a harsh view of Tiger's interpretations of rules lately. Everybody knows about Augusta, but apparently there were two incidents at the Stadium Course. I briefly heard Sergio talking about the "gamesmanship" Tiger supposedly used against him on Saturday, but this is the first I've heard about the other:

Anybody notice the possible 75-yard advantage on the drop? I somehow missed that.
    With all due respect, Tiger acted on the basis of the agreed interpretation - with his playing partner - the usual method of interpreting such situations. A view from the blimp is not available to the players - or anyone else on the course. I hardly think that this situation is acting hard and fast with the rules.

re: Tiger's gamesmanship with Sergio

Surprise, surprise, a reporter reporting a story when he wasn't even there. Your reporter picked up a story that was not investigated very well.

http://msn.foxsports.com/golf/story/...dnt-lie-051513

Marshals Brian Nedrich and Lance Paczkowski told the Florida Times-Union that they were both within 10 to 12 yards of Woods at the time of the incident.
    “It is not true and definitely unfair to Tiger,” Nedrich told the paper. “That’s because I was the one Tiger heard say that Sergio had hit.”
    And who cares what Sergio says about course etiquette? HE is the one who spit a loogie into a hole at one tournament not too long ago. Yes, a loogie.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    With all due respect, Tiger acted on the basis of the agreed interpretation - with his playing partner - the usual method of interpreting such situations. A view from the blimp is not available to the players - or anyone else on the course. I hardly think that this situation is acting hard and fast with the rules.
    So I figured. I usually like Ed Hardin's feature stories, but he seems to be getting crankier with age. He's trying hard not to let go of the Lance Thomas story until he can find Duke guilty of something.

As for the gamesmanship, Tiger may be guilty. The Ryder Cup has seen both sides using "ungentlemanly" tactics to unnerve the other team. Sergio has seemed to be a primary instigator, and instigators often don't like for the tables to be turned on them. Psych! Sergio is paranoid, but that doesn't mean Tiger's not after him.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Tiger consulted his playing partner, as well as PGA Tour officials on the hole. All agreed with the drop. I believe those are the rules.

On the other controversy, Tiger was in the woods and could not see Sergio. He took a club out of his bag. Gamesmanship? Pretty slim pickin's there, I would say.

sagegrouse
    'Quite frankly, I would like to see all tour players with club in hand and ready to hit as soon as their playing partner hits. As it stands now, they are just standing around, and it slows up the game, both on the tour and in public courses across America, where the weekend players copy what they see on TV. In fact, I'd like to see a 24 second clock imposed'

I don't know much about Ed Hardin, but this is just crappy journalism in my opinion. Spouting off opinions about Tiger's alleged rule-breaking and gamesmanship based solely on the "reports" of others without apparently doing any of his own reporting makes him no different than any blogger out there or anyone else who wants to bloviate in the comments section of a news story or blog posting.

He is flat out wrong about the rules in this case. Tiger did follow the rules precisely in the case of the drop on 14. Whether or not ultimately it was the place where the ball crossed the water - he did what he was supposed to do, ask his playing partner and get agreement on where the drop should occur. Wittenberg has been very clear that he and Tiger consulted on this and it was Wittenberg's call on the drop location. That makes it a legal drop even if there is after the fact clear evidence that the ball crossed in a different place. But that is not even the case. On the golf channel last night, they pointed out that the overhead blimp view was from an angle that does not provide an accurate representation of the flight of the ball relative to the water.

Also, this whole thing about Tiger pulling his club and if or when marshals told him Sergio had hit is absolutely silly. Tiger was 50 yards away. How often is a player in the midst of a swing when there is a crowd roar from some other part of the course? This couldn't have been any more distracting than that. Does anyone think Tiger was pulling "gamesmanship" or intentionally interfering with Garcia's swing? Sergio calling himself a "victim" is absolutely pathetic. I am a fan of Tiger, but even if I weren't, I'd find Sergio's actions and comments embarrassing.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

So I figured. I usually like Ed Hardin's feature stories, but he seems to be getting crankier with age. He's trying hard not to let go of the Lance Thomas story until he can find Duke guilty of something.

As for the gamesmanship, Tiger may be guilty. The Ryder Cup has seen both sides using "ungentlemanly" tactics to unnerve the other team. Sergio has seemed to be a primary instigator, and instigators often don't like for the tables to be turned on them. Psych! Sergio is paranoid, but that doesn't mean Tiger's not after him.
    Hardin is a big carolina fan. No secret there. It's rare that the Greensboro paper gives Duke fair coverage in any sport, especially if it involves carolina.

As far as gamesmanship in golf, who among us who play more than occasionally haven't utilized "gamesmanship" or mind games on their opponents, even when they are your best friends? Please raise your hand now. Anyone? Didn't think so. Of course, my regular golf partner, who is a 7 handicapper compared to my ~15, is also my doctor. He gets his "revenge" when he gives me my annual physical... OK, he only threatened not to use the KY jelly first... Talk about gamesmanship!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I don't think a rules official was called for the drop, largely because a rules official would be useless unless he actually saw the tee shot. I think this is still an issue because Johnny Miller (the Billy Packer of golf) questioned the drop and just wouldn't let it go. Tiger followed protocol to the T, there is no need to make this an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Hardin is a big carolina fan. No secret there. It's rare that the Greensboro paper gives Duke fair coverage in any sport, especially if it involves carolina.

As far as gamesmanship in golf, who among us who play more than occasionally haven't utilized "gamesmanship" or mind games on their opponents, even when they are your best friends? Please raise your hand now. Anyone? Didn't think so. Of course, my regular golf partner, who is a 7 handicapper compared to my ~15, is also my doctor. He gets his "revenge" when he gives me my annual physical... OK, he only threatened not to use the KY jelly first... Talk about gamesmanship!
    Moon river! ... Thank you doc, you ever serve time?
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

I don't think the issue is what actually occurred on the course, it's Tiger lying about it after the fact. Which surprises me not.

But who could have guessed that the biggest [unpleasant excuse for a human being] in the history of the game would do such a thing. That really came out of the blue.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I don't think the issue is what actually occurred on the course, it's Tiger lying about it after the fact. Which surprises me not.

But who could have guessed that the biggest [unpleasant excuse for a human being] in the history of the game would do such a thing. That really came out of the blue.
    Why do you think he lied? Marshalls who were on the hole have said that they told Tiger Sergio hit. At worst it was unclear, and Tiger misunderstood the Marshals with whom he was communicating.