Problems with a TV

got online and looked up some techie forums. It seems as though this particular model was prone to faulty INVERTER BOARDS. I ordered 4 of them from a tech warehouse place as this TV is no longer manufactured nor supported.

here's the main board - you can see the 3 inverter board protection shields on the left - there are 6 total for the TV, but there are only 4 numbered boards. I bought all 4 for $280 in hopes that it would be just one. I began removing and replacing one at a time (20 mins each) until i hit the correct board (4 boards)

Attachment 2834

here's with the back removed ( 40 mins work)
    Attachment 2832

The screw-keeper-upper-dishes
    Attachment 2833

2nd down on the right.

Attachment 2836

and i FIXED it...i'm slightly technically inclined (mechanical engineer) but i've also gotten into electronic stuff over my head and had to have a pro save me...

..i know this post is geeky, but i felt pretty good fixing my $3k tv for less than $300....

patting myself on the back..
    Last edited by moonpie23; 10-02-2012 at 10:49 PM.
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Who the hell changed the thread title so that my original post doesn't make any sense? (Cue the "that just makes it like every other post you make" comments.)
    Last edited by hurleyfor3; 10-03-2012 at 01:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    here's with the back removed ( 40 mins work)
    Attachment 2832

The screw-keeper-upper-dishes
    Attachment 2833

2nd down on the right.

Attachment 2836
    Congrats on fixing your TV! But your links don't work! Got an error message when I clicked on each one.

My 1996 Sony 27" XBR tube TV died when I turned it on last week. I took it to a repair shop in Goldsboro for analysis - only charged me $20 to diagnosis the problem, which amazed me for being so cheap. Repair cost for some transistors that failed, and the loose solder connections that caused them to fail, $125 less the $20 fee already paid. But I'd still have a 16 year old TV, so I replaced it with a 32" Vizio that I got on sale at Big Lots on Saturday for $200!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

that's odd...when i click on them, i see the photos....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

what happened? someone changed the title of my thread and deleted the photos...

sheesh...

TV repair is just about a quaint recollection of a bygone era. Nevertheless, I do recall going through [what I would guess was] something similar maybe a dozen years ago with a Samsung TV. It was a flat screen but not one of the thin LCD or plasmas. Anyway, it occurred under extended warranty (thanks, Visa Gold!) and a guy came out. He removed a few screws and then the entire plastic shell just lifted off the base, leaving a big glass screen and some circuit boards extending to the rear. The repair guy inspected the circuit boards and quickly spotted a hairline crack in one of the soldered areas on one of the boards. A tiny bit of solder and voila, the TV was fixed ... and it still works today (though it's a secondary TV now).

It just struck me how relatively simple a problem it was. No knowledge of the transistors or capacitors or whatever was needed. In essence, it was just a broken electrical connection on what was then a several-hundred dollar TV.