Silver Linings Playbook

Has anyone seen it? I'm interested, but it hasn't come to my town yet.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Has anyone seen it? I'm interested, but it hasn't come to my town yet.
    I saw it about a month ago. I thought it was good, but not great. A bit too much "crazy" in the film for my taste. The real problem is there was no real point to all the crazy. Strong acting by all the leads and the supporting cast, but it dragged a bit and was just depressing and confusing at times. It does have a really nice feel-good, crowd-pleasing ending... which sorta doesn't go along with what the rest of the movie is trying to do.

-Jason "It is a decent date movie. Not a ton of other date movie options out there right now" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    ... "It is a decent date movie. ..."
    Is that code for "chick flick?"

I wouldn't really call this a chick flick. Yes, it's a romantic comedy....but I went in expecting to laugh a ton, and while I certainly laughed, there were parts that were extremely intense / depressing. I will agree with JE, it's a good movie with great acting, but in many ways it is a downer.

I left thinking it could have been exceptional. I'm not quite sure why it wasn't. Maybe the last 30 minutes? Maybe the way the ending kind of ignores the characteristics of the protaganists that you've seen throughout the movie. Not sure. But I did enjoy it overall.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Is that code for "chick flick?"
    No, not at all. In my mind, a "chick flick" is a movie most men would not enjoy. This is not a movie like that. A "date movie" is the kind of film that both people in the relationship will get something out of and give them something to talk about. A good "date movies" allows you to hold hands or put an arm around her shoulders and both leave the theater feeling like you had a nice time and enjoyed yourself.

I know I am making broad generalities here about the tastes of men and women (plenty of women like Battleship, plenty of guys enjoy crying in a Nicholas Sparks film), but we have to generalize a little bit to even have this conversation. The reality is that certain movies tend to attract certain demographics.

-Jason "for the record, my wife and I both felt equally about SLP -- good, but not great" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?