Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 54 of 54
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Morrisville, NC

    Pheochromocytoma?

    I noticed none of the articles ever said it was cancer-- only said waiting on pathology, and he may need the other kidney operated on later. This sounds like it might be a pheochromocytoma, a tumor of the adrenal gland. This may explain his vertigo and orthostatic hypotension (almost fainting when standing up from a sitting position), which are common symptoms of a pheo. Good news is that pheochromocytomas (if that's what it is) are rarely malignant.

    Best wishes to 'Ol Roy. Speedy recovery!
    cbarry
    Morrisville, NC
    Duke '92

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by cbarry View Post
    I noticed none of the articles ever said it was cancer-- only said waiting on pathology, and he may need the other kidney operated on later. This sounds like it might be a pheochromocytoma, a tumor of the adrenal gland. This may explain his vertigo and orthostatic hypotension (almost fainting when standing up from a sitting position), which are common symptoms of a pheo. Good news is that pheochromocytomas (if that's what it is) are rarely malignant.

    Best wishes to 'Ol Roy. Speedy recovery!
    Gee, I thought you were talking dirty.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lewisville, NC

    Lenox Rawlings column 9/20

    High-energy Williams must now sit and wait

    From column today by Lenox Rawlings of W-S Journal (best sports columnist in state IMO)

    He would prefer to do almost anything other than wait on answers, but that's all Williams can do now.

    Surgeons removed a tumor from his right kidney during a 3 1/2 -hour procedure at UNC Hospitals Wednesday morning, but they don't know if that tumor (or another tumor on his left kidney) is cancerous. The tests that will reveal the blunt medical facts take time — perhaps two days and possibly longer, according to a Carolina spokesman.
    Last edited by -jk; 09-20-2012 at 12:55 PM. Reason: fix link

  4. #44
    Praying for you Roy. God is of course confused, since during the season the words I send up are not exactly "please take care of this man and give him a speedy recovery." But I'm sure the Almighty can figure it out.

  5. #45

    Thoughts and Prayers

    One of basketball's most tenacious competitors has fans of every shade of blue rooting for him and hoping for the best news possible. My thoughts and prayers go out to the entire Williams family while they wait for the pathology reports.

  6. #46
    For purposes of speculation:
    Most common kidney tumor requiring removal is renal cell carcinoma. If small, it can be removed without taking the entire kidney. If large, the entire kidney must be removed.
    Some people are at risk for multiple renal cell carcinomas. Treatment here is dicey because patients require a certain degree of functioning renal tissue to live.

    Some renal cell carcinomas are very agressive and spread rapidly, but many can be cured with resection.

    Hope Roy does well, whatever the situation.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by diveonthefloor View Post
    For purposes of speculation:
    Most common kidney tumor requiring removal is renal cell carcinoma. If small, it can be removed without taking the entire kidney. If large, the entire kidney must be removed.
    Some people are at risk for multiple renal cell carcinomas. Treatment here is dicey because patients require a certain degree of functioning renal tissue to live.

    Some renal cell carcinomas are very agressive and spread rapidly, but many can be cured with resection.

    Hope Roy does well, whatever the situation.
    I'm not sure this is something we should speculate about. Kendall's scaphoid, sure. But not this.

    If you pray, you should pray. If you prefer to send good thoughts and whatnot, send good thoughts and whatnot.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Durham
    The twitterverse says Roy's tumor was not cancerous! Great news.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    The twitterverse says Roy's tumor was not cancerous! Great news.
    Here's an article on the good news. A similar growth on the other kidney will be biopsied now.

    sagegrouse

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    The twitterverse says Roy's tumor was not cancerous! Great news.
    That is really awesome news dd, thanks for sharing. I hope that means he can put off the surgery on the left kidney until after the season without jeopardizing his health in any way.

    I was anticipating it to be cancer, so relieved to learn it is not. So I celebrate the news with our adversary, and wish him a speedy recovery.

    Wainstein Report Page 19 Section G:
    In men’s basketball, academic counselor Burgess McSwain (“McSwain”) and
    her successor Wayne Walden routinely called Crowder to arrange classes for their
    players.
    Roy Williams Of Nazareth had no knowledge however. He is sinless.

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Here's an article on the good news. A similar growth on the other kidney will be biopsied now.

    sagegrouse
    Duhhhhhhhhhh!!! I forgot to add the link. -- sage

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Carrboro, NC
    Great news that it's not cancerous. I want to see Roy's career end prematurely after a string of losing seasons...not cancer.

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.

    disagree

    Quote Originally Posted by magjayran View Post
    Great news that it's not cancerous. I want to see Roy's career end prematurely after a string of losing seasons...not cancer.
    I would prefer to see his career continue with a string of losing seasons! Glad to hear it's not cancerous.

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Skinker-DeBaliviere, Saint Louis
    I've been sensitive to and supportive of Roy Williams in this, but this sticks in my craw.

    Bucigross just reported [w/r/t the silly PR stunt that is Midnight Madness], "Roy Williams, back from his bout with cancer."

    Um, it was not cancer. Did you miss the good news, Buci?

    A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert


    Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Similar Threads

  1. Duke vs. Kentucky - Carolina BBQ Emergency!
    By neuro in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 03-04-2013, 11:46 AM
  2. Another medical emergency in Cameron
    By Devil in the Blue Dress in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-06-2011, 04:42 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-20-2010, 11:43 PM
  4. Duke vs. Kentucky - Carolina BBQ Emergency!
    By neuro in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-28-2010, 08:17 PM
  5. Shoulder Surgery
    By BCGroup in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 02-08-2010, 10:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •