Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Without Austin duke would have been completely one dimensional passing the ball around the 3 pt line ignoring MP2. Also Duke would have lost more games. I don't think you blame a freshman because the upper-classmen failed to assert themselves.

I agree Duke is better this year but I don't think it is as simple as addition by subtraction.
    I agree with you on this. We are better this year because the team has matured and Rasheed is an incredible talent whose skill set blends with and complements the upper classmen. Also, Mason hitting free throws expands the dimensions of this team because we do not fear attacking the basket with Mason as weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Without Austin duke would have been completely one dimensional passing the ball around the 3 pt line ignoring MP2. Also Duke would have lost more games. I don't think you blame a freshman because the upper-classmen failed to assert themselves.

I agree Duke is better this year but I don't think it is as simple as addition by subtraction.
    Well that's true, but it's a lot more fun for Duke fans (for some reason) to heap hatred on the guy. I'm trying to think of players hated more in the K era by the player's own "fans." All I've got is Newton, McRoberts, and Paulus. Ricky Price?

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    There's that, but DT would have killed any attempt had he had a Frosh campaign.
    No argument there at all. Hands down the greatest college player I ever had the privilege of watching. My first sports hero to boot.

Well that's true, but it's a lot more fun for Duke fans (for some reason) to heap hatred on the guy. I'm trying to think of players hated more in the K era by the player's own "fans." All I've got is Newton, McRoberts, and Paulus. Ricky Price?
    I was never particularly fond of Shavlik Randolph, and he did kind of out himself as a big jerk later on during his brief appearance in the NBA with his homophobic comments that got way blown up in the media. Definitely wasn't a fan of McBob, either, he was probably the worst one.

I never had a problem with Paulus other than the fact that he was way too slow to be our starting PG. Good guy, good team player. He did have some nice moments though, remember this? http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...php?35-Paulus

Austin was a great player for us last year. I still root for him, but I guess most people kind of took Seth Curry's remarks about Austin too seriously, and it's a lot easier to side with Seth on that one.
    Last edited by licc85; 12-12-2012 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by licc85 View Post
    Austin was a great player for us last year. I still root for him, but I guess most people kind of took Seth Curry's remarks about Austin too seriously, and it's a lot easier to side with Seth on that one.
    By "too seriously," do you mean "out of context?" I don't understand how it has become common knowledge that Seth supposedly said Austin was bad for team chemistry. I thought those comments very clearly referred to spending time together off of the court, and not to any specific player's personality. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post
    By "too seriously," do you mean "out of context?" I don't understand how it has become common knowledge that Seth supposedly said Austin was bad for team chemistry. I thought those comments very clearly referred to spending time together off of the court, and not to any specific player's personality. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    You said what I was trying to say. I just thought people overreacted to Seth's comments. I'm not one of the Austin haters, just trying to point out that the Seth comment kind of planted that seed.

Wow, I would have never put Paulus on this list. On the contrary, I thought he tended to get more love than he desired considering his limitations as a PG and defensive player (which is ultimately what led to Smith and then Scheyer being converted to PG and Paulus eventually getting benched) on a team that needed good PG play and perimeter defense.

I can't imagine Price getting too much hate, either. He was a good player until he got suspended. And after that, he was a bit player on a very good team. I'd have guessed Capel incurred the wrath more than Price.

Newton was a bit of an unknown for me.

McRoberts definitely makes the list (undeservedly so, in my opinion) and is probably #1.

Curry had a monster game today against Santa Clara. He had 31, giving him 1,677 for his career (970 at Duke, 707 at Liberty). He's now 323 points away from 2,000 for his career. To reach 2,000, here are the averages he'd need:

21 games: 15.38 ppg
    22 games: 14.68 ppg
    23 games: 14.04 ppg
    24 games: 13.46 ppg
    25 games: 12.92 ppg
    26 games: 12.42 ppg
    27 games: 11.96 ppg
    28 games: 11.54 ppg

He's currently averaging 17.1 ppg this season (excluding the DNP, of course). If he can stay relatively healthy he could reach the mark before the NCAA tournament (if we manage to make it to the ACC final).

And of course he's on the verge of reaching 1,000 points at Duke. That could happen Wednesday against Davidson, and should happen by no later than the Clemson game.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Curry had a monster game today against Santa Clara. He had 31, giving him 1,677 for his career (970 at Duke, 707 at Liberty). He's now 323 points away from 2,000 for his career. To reach 2,000, here are the averages he'd need:

21 games: 15.38 ppg
    22 games: 14.68 ppg
    23 games: 14.04 ppg
    24 games: 13.46 ppg
    25 games: 12.92 ppg
    26 games: 12.42 ppg
    27 games: 11.96 ppg
    28 games: 11.54 ppg

He's currently averaging 17.1 ppg this season (excluding the DNP, of course). If he can stay relatively healthy he could reach the mark before the NCAA tournament (if we manage to make it to the ACC final).

And of course he's on the verge of reaching 1,000 points at Duke. That could happen Wednesday against Davidson, and should happen by no later than the Clemson game.
    Provided he stays healthy, 2000 points are in the bag. I expect him to finish the year as our second leading scorer behind Mason. And if we play fewer than 25 games the rest of the way I'm going to be extremely disappointed.

2,000 points

Just a word about Jason Williams ... sure he would have shattered the Hemric/Dawkins/Hansbrough scoring records if he played four years. But so what? He's not the only guy in that situation. Georgia Tech's Dennis Scott actually scored more points in his first three years at Tech (2115) than J-Will did in his three years at Duke (2079). HE would have the record is everybody stayed the course.

Or would he?

There was a generation of players in the ACC who were only allowed to play three seasons. David Thompson scored 2,309 points in his three seasons. True, the season he missed was his freshman year, but believe me, he would have been an offensive machine as a freshman (indeed, a pro scout saw him play as a freshman and said, 'He's one of the 10 best players in the world -- pro and college -- right now"). DT, Buzzy Wilkerson, Lennie Rosenbluth and Lennie Chappell all would have topped Hansbrough's record.

Numbers are what the are. It's fun to speculate "what if" but the guys who actually put up the records deserve the credit. It's always haunted me that Art Heyman missed 2,000 points by 16 points -- 16 points he'd have gotten easily his sophomore year with the three games he was forced to sit out because of a totally bogus suspension levied by the ACC (Heyman was the victim of a vile assault by two UNC players -- he was penalized by fighting back to protect himself).

If Seth gets to 2,000, I'll cheer him on. And if he falls just short because of his leg issues ... well, that will open up another "what if" scenario.
    Last edited by Newton_14; 12-31-2012 at 10:49 PM. Reason: redacted reply to deleted post

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    While the countdown to 2,000 is significant for Seth, there are a few other numbers that we ought to keep at eye on:

(1) His points at Duke: 888 -- he needs 112 more points to become the 61st player in Duke history to top 1,000 points (at Duke -- they don't credit his Liberty points)

With 60 1,000 point scorers, Duke is currently tied with Kentucky for third place in NCAA history, behind UNC (66) and Louiville (65). Duke could close the gap this year -- not only is Seth in range for 1,000, but Ryan Kelly (739) and Mason Plumlee (908) are also likely to get there. As long as Kentucky keeps using one-and-dones, they are not going to add to their total. And I don't believe UNC has anybody in range this year.

(2) Seth and his brother Stephen Curry have combined to score 4,230 points (2,635 for Stephen; 1,595 for Seth). That's the fourth highest brother total in NCAA history. First place is within reach. Here's the top 5:
    1 - Tyler and Ben Hansbrough ... 4,485
    2 -- Larry and Eddie Bird ... 4,405
    3 -- Chuck and Wesley Person ... 4,377
    4 -- Stephen and Seth Curry ... 4,230
    5 -- Greg and Josh Grant ... 4,124

As long as we are talking brothers, there is also the Plumlee trio. So far, Miles and Mason have combined for 1,558 points -- that's the 12th highest brother ttal in ACC history. With Mason finishing his career strong and Marshall waiting in the wings, they could really move up the list (32 more points to crack he to 10). Only three brother combos have topped 3,000 points in ACC history (obviously talking about brothers that both played in the ACC):

1. Tom, Donnie, Randy and Richie Mahaffey (Clemson) ... 3,555
    2. Jay and Tom McMillen (Maryland) ... 3,107
    3. Jeff (Duke) and Jason (UNC) Capel ... 3,048

There is an outside chance that the Booker brothers can get to 3,000 -- but Devin needs 500 points over the rest of the season. The Plumlees won't get anywhere near 3,000 for a couple of years, but it's still something to look for.
    What would Seth have to average from here on out in order for us to replace the Hansbrough's? Any time we can push UNC out of a #1 slot I am all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlestonDevil View Post
    What would Seth have to average from here on out in order for us to replace the Hansbrough's? Any time we can push UNC out of a #1 slot I am all for it.
    12 and change with the minimum 21 games.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    (2) Seth and his brother Stephen Curry have combined to score 4,230 points (2,635 for Stephen; 1,595 for Seth). That's the fourth highest brother total in NCAA history. First place is within reach. Here's the top 5:
    1 - Tyler and Ben Hansbrough ... 4,485
    2 -- Larry and Eddie Bird ... 4,405
    3 -- Chuck and Wesley Person ... 4,377
    4 -- Stephen and Seth Curry ... 4,230
    5 -- Greg and Josh Grant ... 4,124
    Wait... I thought there were six Hansbrough brothers.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnT7pT6zCcA

Not to steal your thunder, CDu. I was interested in where he stands, so here are Seth's per game requirements to hit 2,000:

19 games: 15.53 ppg
    20 games: 14.75 ppg
    21 games: 14.05 ppg
    22 games: 13.41 ppg
    23 games: 12.83 ppg
    24 games: 12.29 ppg
    25 games: 11.80 ppg
    26 games: 11.35 ppg

By my count Seth's next FG will put him at (or over) 1,000 pts in a Duke uniform.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post

By my count Seth's next FG will put him at (or over) 1,000 pts in a Duke uniform.

- Chillin
    Don't have to spend any time on that count. It's right there at goduke.com... http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketba...?playerid=2736

Quote Originally Posted by CharlestonDevil View Post
    At 15 to 16 points a game from here, he will cross this threshold during the 1st Carolina game which would make for a bunch of yapping from Dickie V.

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Not to steal your thunder, CDu. I was interested in where he stands, so here are Seth's per game requirements to hit 2,000:

19 games: 15.53 ppg
    20 games: 14.75 ppg
    21 games: 14.05 ppg
    22 games: 13.41 ppg
    23 games: 12.83 ppg
    24 games: 12.29 ppg
    25 games: 11.80 ppg
    26 games: 11.35 ppg

- Chillin
    No offense taken. Busy visiting my nephew this week, so I am limited. Thanks for taking care of it.

Taylor King and Chris Burgess were not terribly popular. Then again, there's a reason they transferred. Brian Zoubek may have made one of the biggest turns from zero to hero.

was greg really that hated? I always felt that people figured out he wasn't the greatest bball player...but when he went on the bench, he was an awesome teammate to the guys in front of him.

All I can say for greg is he always did everything he was asked to the best of his ability, and there's nothing more you can ask of him
    April 1

Curry put up a terrific effort in our loss to State on Saturday, dropping 22 points on the Pack. He now has 1,735 points (707 at Liberty, 1,028 at Duke), leaving him 265 points shy of 2,000 for his career. Here's the breakdown of what he needs to do to get there:

17 games: 15.59 ppg
    18 games: 14.72 ppg
    19 games: 13.95 ppg
    20 games: 13.25 ppg
    21 games: 12.62 ppg
    22 games: 12.05 ppg
    23 games: 11.52 ppg
    24 games: 11.04 ppg

Curry is currently averaging 16.4 ppg this season. If he plays every game the rest of the way and we don't lose early in both the ACC and NCAA tournaments, Curry should get there. He might even get there before the end of the ACC tournament. Of course, that's all contingent upon him staying healthy. He's already missed 1+ games with separate ankle injuries, and there's the lingering shin issue that he's dealing with. So you just never know.