Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

UNC-CH Chancellor Holden Thorpe to take top Job at WashU!

...it's time. For both a vigil and for the cube master to go. I'm seeing a lot of smoke and where there is smoke there is sure to be a firing.

thorp-1.jpg

I suck at vigils...this one was over quick.

http://www.wral.com/news/education/story/11555762/

that was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post

Man, you are some influential dude! Can I send you a list of other people I would like to resign?

sagegrouse

"but i'm not firing roy!"....(sarcasm font please)
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

So... does the NC Board of Directors somehow feel that this will cause the NCAA to show leniency towards them regarding past behavior? As in, yes mistakes were made (which they love to say) but we're moving forward and everyone who was part of it is gone, so there's no reason to sanction us further.

Or alternately, is this more of a move for publicity?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    So... does the NC Board of Directors somehow feel that this will cause the NCAA to show leniency towards them regarding past behavior? As in, yes mistakes were made (which they love to say) but we're moving forward and everyone who was part of it is gone, so there's no reason to sanction us further.

Or alternately, is this more of a move for publicity?
    Neither, maybe? It seems more likely that Thorp's poor decisions in the Hansbrough affair just proved to be the last straw. Why would UNC *want* to keep Thorp at this point?

What's weird to me is that he has announced that he is stepping down at the end of the year - he is not gone now, instead he will inger as a lame duck for the next 8 or so months - this is odd...

Should be interesting, if not damning, to see what former Gov. Martin comes up with in his investigation.

I wonder if he will be more or less inclined to 'tell tales (now that he's) out of school' when investigators come to him? OOH he'll be free and clear of the University's direct influence and no longer has the fear of losing his job. OTOH, a guy like this doesn't get to the position he's in without a keen sense of self-preservation, as demonstrated through the suspicious decisions over the last year such as allowing Tami 'On The Go' Hansbrough to remain in a role w/ the school after getting word of improprieties. He only has his legacy to protect (and perhaps some of his cronies) at this point and it's already a dubious legacy regardless of what else is dug up moving forward - maybe the rabbit hole is much deeper than what's been oozing out ever since Marvin Austin signed up on twitter. The investigation could get bloated if all we've seen is only what the University couldn't keep from getting out there, or maybe what's out there [I]is [I] all that exists, for the most part.

I love seeing the Tar Heels squirm as much as anybody, and it's hard to grasp what all could be brought to light if Thorpe is willing to tell Gov. Martin everything but our relationship is symbiotic, both in academics as well as sports. I don't think I'm overstating in thinking that this could be a major blow to UNC if there are a dozen more examples of poor judgement by UNC admins and the punishments by the State and the NCAA are such as to make an example of why a school shouldn't do these type of things. It will be interesting to see, but the full effect might not be realized until years from now.

Bottom line is Thorpe had to go, most UNC Alumns/Fans I know are cheering.
    Last edited by throatybeard; 09-17-2012 at 03:30 PM. Reason: fix tags

I disagree

...you don't suck. In fact, please feel free to start an Ole Roy vigil. The sooner the better.

PS Will the last person in the AD please turn out the lights?

Quote Originally Posted by JTH View Post
    ...you don't suck. In fact, please feel free to start an Ole Roy vigil. The sooner the better.

PS Will the last person in the AD please turn out the lights?
    I like the picture too. That over the shoulder jacket sling thing is tricky to pull off.

Another Rogue goes down!

They're circling the wagons around roy and the basketball program.

Quote Originally Posted by CLT Devil View Post
    Should be interesting, if not damning, to see what former Gov. Martin comes up with in his investigation.

I wonder if he will be more or less inclined to 'tell tales (now that he's) out of school' when investigators come to him? OOH he'll be free and clear of the University's direct influence and no longer has the fear of losing his job. OTOH, a guy like this doesn't get to the position he's in without a keen sense of self-preservation, as demonstrated through the suspicious decisions over the last year such as allowing Tami 'On The Go' Hansbrough to remain in a role w/ the school after getting word of improprieties. He only has his legacy to protect (and perhaps some of his cronies) at this point and it's already a dubious legacy regardless of what else is dug up moving forward - maybe the rabbit hole is much deeper than what's been oozing out ever since Marvin Austin signed up on twitter. The investigation could get bloated if all we've seen is only what the University couldn't keep from getting out there, or maybe what's out there [I]is [I] all that exists, for the most part.

I love seeing the Tar Heels squirm as much as anybody, and it's hard to grasp what all could be brought to light if Thorpe is willing to tell Gov. Martin [U]everything[U] but our relationship is symbiotic, both in academics as well as sports. I don't think I'm overstating in thinking that this could be a major blow to UNC if there are a dozen more examples of poor judgement by UNC admins and the punishments by the State and the NCAA are such as to make an example of why a school shouldn't do these type of things. It will be interesting to see, but the full effect might not be realized until years from now.

Bottom line is Thorpe had to go, most UNC Alumns/Fans I know are cheering.

That's the reason for the quick decision. Thorp knows too much. Silence is (a) golden (parachute).

Where can I send in my application?

Maybe I'll start a "Name OPK New Chancellor of UNC Vigil" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Where can I send in my application?

Maybe I'll start a "Name OPK New Chancellor of UNC Vigil" thread.
    Get PackMan97 to start it and you will be Chancellor by the end of the day.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Mu View Post
    That's the reason for the quick decision. Thorp knows too much. Silence is (a) golden (parachute).
    well said

Lux libertas....

I'd like to nominate Ozzie for some of the open positions over in the athletic department at unc. He was unsuccessful in his bid for AD at Duke in the past and he may even have applied for the FB HC position at one time. I can't imagine what kind of havoc he could/would create over there if given a day or two.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

No longer a Vigil.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    No longer a Vigil.

How about a "who will be the new chancellor at Cheater U. vigil?"