Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fall 2012 TV season

Watched the premiere episodes of The Mindy Project and Revolution last night.

Uuggh.

Revolution felt like it was Jericho, right down to "twist" with the mysterious African-American who still has a working computer. I may stick around but hate shows built around one central mystery as the show NEVER SOLVES THE MYSTERY!!! Argh!!

Mindy was not very funny and seemed strangely paced/conceived. I think they wanted to make her seem like a good role model by making her a doctor, but there were so many other aspects that I found demeaning to women. At least the show is honest about Mindy's weight... though I have no idea why she wants to wear so many tight outfits when she really, really needs to lose 20 pounds. I think of Mindy Kailing (sp?) as really bright and capable of smart comedy. So, why did her show start with so many lame, obvious, dumb jokes? If we watch another episode, it will be because of our faith in her, not because the show deserves it.

More later...

-Jason
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Mindy was not very funny and seemed strangely paced/conceived. I think they wanted to make her seem like a good role model by making her a doctor, but there were so many other aspects that I found demeaning to women. At least the show is honest about Mindy's weight... though I have no idea why she wants to wear so many tight outfits when she really, really needs to lose 20 pounds.
    Come on, man. Is that really one of your biggest concerns about the show?

I'm hearing truly terrible things about the new shows this season. The Mindy Project is considered the best new comedy by far in a season when new comedies are apparently just plain awful. I'll probably watch because I love Mindy Kaling, but it doesn't sound amazing. As for the dramas, I'm not hearing much better. Last Resort is the show I want to watch because it gives me a chance to see Andre Braugher. I might give Revolution a chance, but it seems like yet another terrible attempt to find the next Lost. Nashville is getting good reviews, but it's just not my type of show. Even though I will admit that Connie Britton is amazing.

Watched the premiere episodes of The Mindy Project and Revolution last night.

Uuggh.

Revolution felt like it was Jericho, right down to "twist" with the mysterious African-American who still has a working computer. I may stick around but hate shows built around one central mystery as the show NEVER SOLVES THE MYSTERY!!! Argh!!

Mindy was not very funny and seemed strangely paced/conceived. I think they wanted to make her seem like a good role model by making her a doctor, but there were so many other aspects that I found demeaning to women. At least the show is honest about Mindy's weight... though I have no idea why she wants to wear so many tight outfits when she really, really needs to lose 20 pounds. I think of Mindy Kailing (sp?) as really bright and capable of smart comedy. So, why did her show start with so many lame, obvious, dumb jokes? If we watch another episode, it will be because of our faith in her, not because the show deserves it.

More later...

-Jason
    I realize that many shows require accepting a premise right off the bat. But the premise of Revolution seems so preposterous that I'm not sure I can even try. Somehow, some of the laws of physics just stopped working and no one can figure out why or how? I find Grimm more believable.

I haven't given Mindy a shot yet but did try The New Normal and Ben and Kate. The New Normal has about as many gay-cliches as they can pack into 30 minutes but at least they aren't shooting for originality. No laws of physics suspended.

Ben and Kate? Brother and sister as odd couple. Could work, I suppose. But the cuteness quotient seemed a tad high. Where's the racist, homophobic, representative of the boomer generation? Oh, that's right. On The New Normal.

The older I get, the more I find myself ignoring the "major" networks, for HBO, Showtime, AMC, et. al. Only two more weeks before Homeland comes back.

I may stick around but hate shows built around one central mystery as the show NEVER SOLVES THE MYSTERY!!! Argh!!
    You're talking about Lost again, aren't you?

I think I liked the premise of Revolution exactly because I am looking for a new Lost-type fix.
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I haven't given Mindy a shot yet but did try The New Normal and Ben and Kate. The New Normal has about as many gay-cliches as they can pack into 30 minutes but at least they aren't shooting for originality. No laws of physics suspended.
    The New Normal couldn't have had as many gay cliches as Partners. Saw that at a screening last month. Terrible. Trying to be Will and Grace (recognizing the show runners did that one too) but without the acting and writing quality. Thought with James Burrows directing, it would be better, but not even close.

So, the Wall Street Journal has me doing recaps of "Revolution" for their entertainment section. Here is the first.

Ben is downloading something from his computer to a flash drive, the download just barely completes before EVERYTHING GOES DARK. By everything I mean lights, cars, phones, TVs, you name it. There is a great shot of the lights of cars on a highway slowly turning out. We then get a really chilling image as we see airplanes falling out of the sky and crashing to the ground in fireballs. Pull back to see the entire planet slowly go dark. The episode is less than 3 minutes over and I can already tell that Jon Favreau had a lot of fun directing this!
    --Jason "upon second viewing, I found that I liked Revolution a lot more than the first time" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Hm... I rather enjoyed Mindy. Very much in the tone of her book, which I thought was very funny... girly and brash and funny and self-depricating.

Season Premiere of Boardwalk Empire was very strong. Homeland comes back in a couple of weeks, looking forward to that. Can't really say that any of the new shows sound all that appealing to me, though.

Oh yeah, Boardwalk was good. Thankful for the recap, because I missed a lot. What a pair of opening scenes..l the wife had her eyes closed for the first five minutes of the show!

Not sold on The New Normal. Too over the top for me, and I get a bit of an icky stereotype-y feeling from it. Where Cam and Mitchell feel like a normal/positive tv version of a gay couple, the two guys from TNN (or the one, really) feels a bit shrill, for lack of a Better word.

Wallander

Has anyone else watched the third season of the Wallander miniseries on PBS's Masterpiece? The series are based on the Henning Mankell murder mystery books set in Sweden (don't involve any dragon tattoos). I've been reading them for awhile and really like the job that Kenneth Branaugh has done with the character (reminds me a lot of the Scottish detective, Inspector Rebus). I highly recommend them.
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

is anyone watching Copper on BBC America? I can't quite figure out what I think of the show and want to get some other thoughts.

I really like the second season of Hell on Wheels...
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    Has anyone else watched the third season of the Wallander miniseries on PBS's Masterpiece? The series are based on the Henning Mankell murder mystery books set in Sweden (don't involve any dragon tattoos). I've been reading them for awhile and really like the job that Kenneth Branaugh has done with the character (reminds me a lot of the Scottish detective, Inspector Rebus). I highly recommend them.
    I didn't even realize this show existed. I'll have to check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    is anyone watching Copper on BBC America? I can't quite figure out what I think of the show and want to get some other thoughts.

I really like the second season of Hell on Wheels...
    I watch Copper. I like it, but I'm not one of those overly analytical tv watchers. I either like something or I don't.

I've really enjoyed Grimm. looking forward to how it develops.
    also looking forward to the new season of Castle altho Beckett is starting to annoy me.
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    I've really enjoyed Grimm. looking forward to how it develops.
    also looking forward to the new season of Castle altho Beckett is starting to annoy me.
    Love Castle. Just don't know where they go from here now that the mystery is behind them. Also love Bones...

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    I tried it out but did not make it through the first episode. I don't mind period pieces (cf Boardwalk and Mad Men), but just wasn't engaged at all.

Revolution

I watched the Revolution pilot. The production values were really bad. You could tell everything was on a sound stage/set (especially the cul de sac), and if it wasn't, then that's worse. Acting weak, etc. The idea and the premise are intriguing. The execution is VERY lacking. I think this one heads the way of Flash Forward.

I've heard good buzz on Last Resort. Now *that* is a cool premise. Any word on that one from anyone?

Revolution got great ratings. More than 11 million people watched the premiere on Monday, the highest rated premiere in any time slot in 3 years and the highest rated premier on NBC in 5 years. They replayed the pilot episode on Wednesday night and another 4+ million people watched, which could help the show to get new viewers and avoid a large drop off in its week 2 audience. Frankly, it could lose half the audience and still be a giant hit at 10pm for struggling NBC. So long as the ratings don't fall off a cliff, it will get a full season pickup in the next few weeks.

Meanwhile, the return of The Office and Parks and Rec got off to very poor starts last night. The Office had 4.3 million viewers and scored just a 2.1 rating in the 18-49 demo. P&R did even worse, 3.5 mil viewers and a 1.7 in the demo. Blech! It was the worst season premier in history for The Office, down 46% from last year's premier episode, and came close to being the lowest-rated episode ever for the show. P&R also posted historically weak numbers for that program. NBC's once powerful Thursday night comedy lineup is kaput at this point. Going all the way back to Seinfeld, Cheers, and even the early 80s with Family Ties and Cosby, NBC had a lock on Thursday's. At this point, not only does NBC not have a solid hold on the night, but its Thursday night staples are all floundering.

-Jason "such a pity to see The Office whimpering into the night like this" Evans

Meanwhile, the return of The Office and Parks and Rec got off to very poor starts last night. The Office had 4.3 million viewers and scored just a 2.1 rating in the 18-49 demo. P&R did even worse, 3.5 mil viewers and a 1.7 in the demo. Blech! It was the worst season premier in history for The Office, down 46% from last year's premier episode, and came close to being the lowest-rated episode ever for the show. P&R also posted historically weak numbers for that program. NBC's once powerful Thursday night comedy lineup is kaput at this point. Going all the way back to Seinfeld, Cheers, and even the early 80s with Family Ties and Cosby, NBC had a lock on Thursday's. At this point, not only does NBC not have a solid hold on the night, but its Thursday night staples are all floundering.

-Jason "such a pity to see The Office whimpering into the night like this" Evans

Yeah, I get the sense that The Office is now one of those shows about which people say, "Wait, that show's still on?" They should've ended it when Steve Carrell left. Hopefully they can give it at least a respectable send-off this year and keep it from sinking into Willie Mays with the Mets/Johnny Unitas with the Chargers territory.

Interesting point about the decline of NBC's historic dominance of Thursday night. Technically, this year is the 30th anniversary of the birth of that run, as Cheers and Family Ties premiered in the fall of 1982, though it wasn't until The Cosby Show debuted in 1984 that Thursday night became a real juggernaut for NBC.