Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122
    Quote Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
    The reality is that things happened in a certain way, or they didn't; either he received inappropriate payment(s) or he didn't.
    That's trivially easy. He didn't. And as far as I know, you're the only one here or anywhere else who has suggested that he received payments of any kind. From whom, exactly, and for what, praytell?

Quote Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
    That's trivially easy. He didn't. And as far as I know, you're the only one here or anywhere else who has suggested that he received payments of any kind. From whom, exactly, and for what, praytell?
    And, may I ask, how do you know that? Have YOU seen the evidence? People, just go read one or
    two of K's books, then come back and tell me he can let this slide. People will never let him off on
    it.

Quote Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
    And, may I ask, how do you know that? Have YOU seen the evidence? People, just go read one or
    two of K's books, then come back and tell me he can let this slide. People will never let him off on
    it.

Congratulations, you seem to be leading the pack...

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago 1995 View Post
    Seriously. We're going to get pilloried for this whether anything nefarioius happened or not. K has no ability to investigate and the two people with the most knowledge are now prohibited from speaking to him by virtue of the settlement of the suit and the subsequent confidentiality provision of the agreement. It's over, and there's nothing more K can do, no matter how many windmills you might tilt at here.
    This is silly. Thomas is likely free to talk about everything but the terms of the settlement (although I guess he could try and fold everything but the kitchen sink into the confidentiality provision to give him a further screen to discussing this). That said, why would the settlement agreement cover how Thomas got $30,000 to make the down payment? The existence of an extension of credit appears to be fact. No one cares what the settled amount was.

If Lance Thomas has a viable explanation for how he had $30,000, wouldn't this be a good time to clear the air? It was understandable not to make statements with a lawsuit pending. What's the reasoning now?

Clearly, he's under no obligation to cooperate. It seems doubtful the jewelry store has much of interest to tell (other than some possible recollection of why they sold to a college kid on $60,000+ credit, but they have no reason to talk about it). But why wouldn't Thomas say, "My mom cashed my 529 plan" if that's what happened?

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonandblue View Post
    This is silly. Thomas is likely free to talk about everything but the terms of the settlement (although I guess he could try and fold everything but the kitchen sink into the confidentiality provision to give him a further screen to discussing this). That said, why would the settlement agreement cover how Thomas got $30,000 to make the down payment? The existence of an extension of credit appears to be fact. No one cares what the settled amount was.

If Lance Thomas has a viable explanation for how he had $30,000, wouldn't this be a good time to clear the air? It was understandable not to make statements with a lawsuit pending. What's the reasoning now?

Clearly, he's under no obligation to cooperate. It seems doubtful the jewelry store has much of interest to tell (other than some possible recollection of why they sold to a college kid on $60,000+ credit, but they have no reason to talk about it). But why wouldn't Thomas say, "My mom cashed my 529 plan" if that's what happened?
    Why would Lance deign to satisfy your desire to be a voyeur? Playing BB at an NCAA member school does not waive all of his rights to privacy. He has no obligation to you, me or anyone else to discuss his personal affairs. It is time to get off of this derailed train before the fire starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Why would Lance deign to satisfy your desire to be a voyeur? Playing BB at an NCAA member school does not waive all of his rights to privacy. He has no obligation to you, me or anyone else to discuss his personal affairs. It is time to get off of this derailed train before the fire starts.
    why is any of this changed by the settlement of the lawsuit? agree there is no reason for him to talk to the ncaa or for anyone to issue a public statement. but, that would have been true regardless of the outcome of the lawsuit. if there was ncaa risk before the settlement (i really don't think there was), then it still exists now.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Because his reputation and Duke's was impugned by the various stories floating out there? To give Duke fans comfort?

I'm not saying he owes me anything. I was responding to the notion that he's forbidden from ever speaking of his life at Duke again (yes, that's hyperbole, but the point is, his entry into a settlement agreement would be unlikely to touch the key aspects of this story).

My question was just this: these stories created something of a cloud, if you can blow them away, why wouldn't you?

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonandblue View Post
    Because his reputation and Duke's was impugned by the various stories floating out there? To give Duke fans comfort?

I'm not saying he owes me anything. I was responding to the notion that he's forbidden from ever speaking of his life at Duke again (yes, that's hyperbole, but the point is, his entry into a settlement agreement would be unlikely to touch the key aspects of this story).

My question was just this: these stories created something of a cloud, if you can blow them away, why wouldn't you?
    Let's get serious. Thomas could appear with a probated will showing that he was bequeathed $100,000 by his Great-Aunt Tillie in December 2010, and we would still see people on the Internet impugning his reputation demanding more - many of them with press passes. At this point, why bother?

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    This thread has devolved into pure, baseless speculation.

Until there is some further real "news" on this issue, keeping this discussion open would seem to serve no further purpose. If there are any significant future developments, we will reopen this thread, but until such time, this thread is CLOSED.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Lance settles suit...

I usually just read and don't post, but I just saw this and thought it would be worth sharing...

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ttles-jewelers