Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Well, Chargers/Chiefs worked out well for me last night. Survive for another week. Y'all enjoy sweating it out this weekend!

Out of curiosity, what is the record for most weeks in the pool? I want to say Bob Green went pretty far last year or the year before, but don't remember because I went out early.
    "There can BE only one."

I also survived (in the one mistake pool) by picking the Chargers.

I did a quick search and found:
    2009 - I can't quite tell what happened, but 3 teams were alive in week 17 (including Jason's son and toughbuff1)
    2010 - Bob Green lost in week 16
    2011 - SportHenry won in week 10 (not sure how far he went after that)

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    I also survived (in the one mistake pool) by picking the Chargers.

I did a quick search and found:
    2009 - I can't quite tell what happened, but 3 teams were alive in week 17
    2010 - Bob Green lost in week 16
    2011 - SportHenry won in week 10 (not sure how far he went after that)
    I know last year in the No Mistake pool we had like a 12 way tie or something similar because we all went out with the Giants and I had already used them in the 1 strike pool so I lucked out but I think the contest ends once you win so there isn't a chance to proceed at least I stopped picking.

boudreau here

Baltimore did their part and kept me in the No Mistake Pool. Here's hoping PumkinFunk and Highlander stumble with their picks. (I can dream can't I!)

Quote Originally Posted by bowcastle View Post
    Baltimore did their part and kept me in the No Mistake Pool. Here's hoping PumkinFunk and Highlander stumble with their picks. (I can dream can't I!)
    I feel 100% confident with my Niners pick this week. And I feel 99.99% confident in Highlander's Steelers pick... because it's against the terrible Chiefs.

Well, this is just an awful way to get eliminated... 49ers-Rams tie. Brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by PumpkinFunk View Post
    Well, this is just an awful way to get eliminated... 49ers-Rams tie. Brutal.
    I know how you feel. I went out on the Iggles tie a few years ago in this pool. It stinks because they didn't lose, they just didn't win either. Kind of like rolling snakeyes in craps.

I steered clear of that game b/c the Rams have surprised a few teams this year, and the SF defense has not lived up to their hype so far this year (I know, b/c they are on my fantasy team and we are horrible).

Here's hoping the Chiefs play like, well, they have all season...
    "There can BE only one."

Steelers only lead by 3 with 8 mins left in the 4th quarter. There are not many of us left in the pools, but this could really, really thin the herd!

-Jason "I have Pitt... so I am officially nervous right now!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Dwayne Bowe just totally dropped a pass that would have put KC easily in game-typing FG range with less than a minute left. I mean, just flat out dropped it. The Chiefs just might be pathetic enough to allow me to survive this game!

-Jason
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

That overtime was quicker than Mike Brown's season with the Lakers!

-Jason "survive and advance!" Evans

With the tied demise of San Fran this past week, the "no strikes" pool lost a player for the first time in 5 weeks. Pumkinfunk went down leaving only Highlander and Boudreau left to fight it out. They enter week 11 with perfect picks.

In the "one strike" pool, we lost 2 players and have 3 still alive. Juise PumkinFunk, and some dude named Jason Evans are still picking. They each haev 1 strike so the next miss eliminates them. We lost both sporthenry (who did not pick anyone this past week... bad form!), and Pacer (who went down with San Fran) this week.

Interestingly, Boudreau did not play in the one-strike pool, while Highlander was eliminated in week 3. How do you get 2 picks wrong in 3 weeks in one pool while remaining perfect through week 10 in the other?

This week, I'm looking at the Cowboys over the Browns or Cincy over KC. Houston over Jax is a great pick, but I already used Houston earlier this year. The Falcons over the Cards is also trendy (the Cards ain't that bad though) as is Nawlins over Oakland. But the Saints are going cross-country for that game and I hate to pick teams traversing 3 time zones.

-Jason "I am running out of good teams to pick... it is going to get dicey in coming weeks!" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Interestingly, Boudreau did not play in the one-strike pool, while Highlander was eliminated in week 3. How do you get 2 picks wrong in 3 weeks in one pool while remaining perfect through week 10 in the other?
    My strategy was to diversify my picks in the early weeks, rather than go all or nothing. That way I'd prevent myself from going down in two pools due to a bad pick. It was just sheer dumb luck early that my no mistakes pool succeeded where my two strikes pool crashed and burned.

Last night's pick was assuming the Chiefs would do what they have done all season (namely, blow winnable games with turnovers). They did not disappoint, although I was a bit nervous when I saw it go into overtime. Still, picking them to lose in Pittsburgh on MNF is a pretty safe pick, even if they didn't stink.

To be honest, I'm surprised I'm still picking in this thing. I don't think I've ever made it past week 5 before in either pool.
    "There can BE only one."

Dallas' narrow OT win saved my butt in the one-pick pool. It also saved Highlander in the perfect pool.

If Denver loses (they lead San Diego 10-7 in the 2nd quarter) then both our pools will be done. Boudreau has Denver in the perfect pool. In the one-strike pool, both Juise and Pumkinfunk have the Broncos.

C'mon Bolts!!!

-Jason "I must admit, I would sorta be sad to see it all end" Evans

Dallas' narrow OT win saved my butt in the one-pick pool. It also saved Highlander in the perfect pool.
    Yup. Sweated that one big time. That is two weeks in a row with OT wins for me. My luck may be thinning, but at least it is still holding.
    "There can BE only one."

If Denver loses (they lead San Diego 10-7 in the 2nd quarter) then both our pools will be done.
    Ever since I was eliminated in what now feels like the pre-season, I haven't paid too much attention. I knew the perfect pool was nearly done but didn't realize the one-pick was that close to being finished.

If Denver loses (they lead San Diego 10-7 in the 2nd quarter) then both our pools will be done. Boudreau has Denver in the perfect pool. In the one-strike pool, both Juise and Pumkinfunk have the Broncos.

C'mon Bolts!!!

-Jason "I must admit, I would sorta be sad to see it all end" Evans
    Nice try.

I switched from the Boys to the Broncos at the last minute. I think from here on out I'll just be picking against my Eagles.

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    Nice try.

I switched from the Boys to the Broncos at the last minute. I think from here on out I'll just be picking against my Eagles.
    They play the Panthers this week. I wouldn't put it past the cats to lose that game. The have made a habit out of finding creative ways to lose.
    "There can BE only one."

boudreau here

About an hour away from having to have my pick in. It's getting down to figuring out which bad teams are better.

Jason, I had every intention of participating in the two-strike pool but I got sidetracked after I made my selection in the one-strike pool and forgot to make a selection in the two-strike pool. My mind is not a wonderful thing.

-Jason "I am running out of good teams to pick... it is going to get dicey in coming weeks!" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by bowcastle View Post
    About an hour away from having to have my pick in. It's getting down to figuring out which bad teams are better.

Jason, I had every intention of participating in the two-strike pool but I got sidetracked after I made my selection in the one-strike pool and forgot to make a selection in the two-strike pool. My mind is not a wonderful thing.
    I'm going with Denver this week. Picking against the Chiefs has worked well for me so far this year. Was tempted to take the Panthers, but Philly is a tough place to win, backup QB or no. And Carolina always finds a way to lose.
    "There can BE only one."

boudreau here

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    I'm going with Denver this week. Picking against the Chiefs has worked well for me so far this year. Was tempted to take the Panthers, but Philly is a tough place to win, backup QB or no. And Carolina always finds a way to lose.
    Cincy wins for me and keeps me alive. Looking at next weeks schedule I see Carolina plays at KC. So much for picking the team playing the Chiefs!