Pac-12 Network Coverage

I'm posting in the EK forum because of the Duke-Stanford football game, though this might well be an OT matter. My following comment may not be an issue for you if your cable provider has signed up with the Pac-12 network. But it may well be since a number of providers, like DirecTV, DISH, perhaps Comcast in some areas, and Astound in the Bay Area, have not signed up and as a result the Pac-12 games are unavailable to their subscribers.

Strangely, the Pac-12 Network is not urging viewers to lobby their providers to sign up. Instead they are urging viewers to change their provider. Also the Pac 12 letter. Cal AD Sandy Barbour participated in an anti-DirecTV publicity stunt of her own. While that approach may be odd, the real problem is that even though the Duke-Stanford game will be on TV, many Duke fans will be unable to view the game at all. Even Stanford fans in the West won't be able to see it unless their provider has signed on.

For me personally, it won't matter, as I have actual, real tickets to the game. But when other ACC teams play Pac 12 teams, particularly during the basketball season, the problem will continue to fester.

It seems to me that this is a truly annoying problem for Pac 12 fans and their non Pac 12 opponents' fans. You can check to see if your provider will carry the Pac 12 Network at this page.

No surprise that Cox Communications in Norfolk does not carry the PAC12 Network. The tact the PAC12 is taking urging fans to switch cable providers is interesting. They appear to be drawing a line in the sand and telling providers, "We are bigger than you are."

EDIT: Not to get the cart in front of the horse, but Stanford struggled to beat San Jose State last night.
    Bob Green

I have a pretty complete cable package here in South Florida (with Comcast). I get the Big Ten network but have never heard of the Big 12 network!

Am I being too short-sighted and unreasonable??

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    I'm posting in the EK forum because of the Duke-Stanford football game, though this might well be an OT matter. My following comment may not be an issue for you if your cable provider has signed up with the Pac-12 network. But it may well be since a number of providers, like DirecTV, DISH, perhaps Comcast in some areas, and Astound in the Bay Area, have not signed up and as a result the Pac-12 games are unavailable to their subscribers.

Strangely, the Pac-12 Network is not urging viewers to lobby their providers to sign up. Instead they are urging viewers to change their provider. Also the Pac 12 letter. Cal AD Sandy Barbour participated in an anti-DirecTV publicity stunt of her own. While that approach may be odd, the real problem is that even though the Duke-Stanford game will be on TV, many Duke fans will be unable to view the game at all. Even Stanford fans in the West won't be able to see it unless their provider has signed on.

For me personally, it won't matter, as I have actual, real tickets to the game. But when other ACC teams play Pac 12 teams, particularly during the basketball season, the problem will continue to fester.

It seems to me that this is a truly annoying problem for Pac 12 fans and their non Pac 12 opponents' fans. You can check to see if your provider will carry the Pac 12 Network at this page.
    Since I believe we can watch all of the duke fb games on GoDuke and/or espn3, I'm loving the fact that the PAC 12 network is getting off to a rocky start. As an ACC supporter, I think this benefits the ACC greatly since the PAC 12 is a rival conference and considered to be better positioned in the financially and fb landscape because of the PAC 12 network; and if the network falters, all of their financial projectdions would be affected. In the end, the network may do ok; but I've always thought it would be a challenge to gain a national following since their popularity and notoriety is so regional and geographically based/ IMO, I doubt that many people on the east coast and in the midwest actually cares about PAC 12 sports. That being said, the challenges the network is facing highlights the genius of the Big 10 in successfully launching their network when people in Fla, in which there are no teams in the Big 10 located, have access to and may watch the BTN.

On a side note, I read a CBSsports article recently by Greg Doyell about ND and their national/global branding with their Navy game being played in Ireland; and the Notre Dame AD said that a television network doesn't interest him because he knows ND doesn't have the concentration of followers [in key geographiclal areas] to make such a network successful; but he is very interested in the idea of launching a didital ND network, something the ACC has launched and become a premiere pioneer in [imo].

Thanks for bringing this up -- been wondering about it and looking into it.

As of now, I do not believe my Comcast has the Pac-12 network.

Given the dust-up with DirecTV, what are the chances that a sports bar could somehow pull in the Pac-12 network?

In other words, given that the Pac-12 network is only on some limited cable systems, do the methods that sports bar use to pull games -- I'm guessing they primarily use espn gameplan and DirecTV --mean that even bars won't be able to get it?

Duke-Stanford Coverage (here is the info)

Note: next week's game is only on Pac-12 BAY AREA. Not the national feed! To watch the game, you have to have Comcast, Bright House/Time Warner or any other carrier that has Pac-12 and then you have to sign into their website Pac-12.com and authenticate through the link to your cable company. You can then stream the game in HD.

If you do not live in the San Francisco Bay Area, you will NOT get the game on TV, only internet.

Since the game is @Stanford it is not part of the ACC on ESPN, thus no ESPN3 or WatchESPN.

There have been some rumors that other coverage may be added, but nothing as of yet.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Despite my initial post's assertion that the Pac 12 Network would not be carried on Astound in the Bay Area, today, the Cal-Nevada game has found its way onto Astound via the Pac 12 Network. I'd guess that some of the carriers are beginning to fall into line.

I had relied on the finder page at the Pac 12 Network website at the link; as I write, that page still does not show Astound carrying P12N.

What about GoDuke?

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    Note: next week's game is only on Pac-12 BAY AREA. Not the national feed! To watch the game, you have to have Comcast, Bright House/Time Warner or any other carrier that has Pac-12 and then you have to sign into their website Pac-12.com and authenticate through the link to your cable company. You can then stream the game in HD.

If you do not live in the San Francisco Bay Area, you will NOT get the game on TV, only internet.

Since the game is @Stanford it is not part of the ACC on ESPN, thus no ESPN3 or WatchESPN.

There have been some rumors that other coverage may be added, but nothing as of yet.
    Couldn't a person access vidoe fed of the game or at least radio coverage of the game via GoDuke if you pay the subscription fee? I thought GoDuke allowed access to all of the football games if you're member; and you could always cancel the membership with the first 30 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    Couldn't a person access vidoe fed of the game or at least radio coverage of the game via GoDuke if you pay the subscription fee? I thought GoDuke allowed access to all of the football games if you're member; and you could always cancel the membership with the first 30 days.
    Radio. Not video. GoDuke has no video rights for football or men's basketball (other than exhibition games) as they would only have rights to home games and all of those are now owned by ESPN.

They do have archive rights and if they have an agreement with PAC-12, the game might be archived for viewing later.
    Last edited by msdukie; 09-01-2012 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Added info.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post

Thanks for the information. Where can I find the link on the Pac-12.com site? Do I have to use the "channel finder" function to get there?

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Thanks for the information. Where can I find the link on the Pac-12.com site? Do I have to use the "channel finder" function to get there?
    I just went to Pac-12.com and it shows you the event on each network and you click to watch. It took me to the authentication area.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa