Thread: Tough Mudder

Tough Mudder

Just curious if anyone else out there has done or is planning to do a Tough Mudder or other similar races? I'm trying my first one out next weekend in Frederick, MD. It looks like fun and I think I'm mostly prepared, but any advice would be appreciated.
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    Just curious if anyone else out there has done or is planning to do a Tough Mudder or other similar races? I'm trying my first one out next weekend in Frederick, MD. It looks like fun and I think I'm mostly prepared, but any advice would be appreciated.
    No fresh piercings. There is absolutely no way to keep any portion of your body sterile. A friend of my stepson found out the hard way.

Just have fun - and hydrate. If its your first one, you probably won't have a good enough starting position to be competitive, so don't get frustrated by the number of people struggling in front of you at the various obstacles/challenges. If you can get into the general atmosphere, it can be a pretty good party crowd (just unusually fit). I recommend finding some friends to run with - the more the merrier.

I haven't done it (something about a really hot place freezing over or pigs flying...) but know people who have. A first timer said to me that people were constantly helping each other out, whether on the same "team" or not. Another said be prepared for more bruises and pain than you could imagine, but it was worth it. Also, don't be ashamed if you don't finish- there were people in her race with (not to discourage but it is the truth) some pretty gnarly injuries sustained throughout the race.

But like I said, I haven't done it.

(Nor do I plan to. Yeah I'm a wuss. I own it. )

I've done a fair number and they are a blast. As said above, get into it and have fun. Don't wear good sneakers as I've lost a few good pairs of trail shoes. Be careful in the deep mud as I've seen more injuries there than in any obstacles as its easy to hit a submerged root, rock, or hole. Enjoy the beer afterwards. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebear View Post
    I've done a fair number and they are a blast. As said above, get into it and have fun. Don't wear good sneakers as I've lost a few good pairs of trail shoes. Be careful in the deep mud as I've seen more injuries there than in any obstacles as its easy to hit a submerged root, rock, or hole. Enjoy the beer afterwards. Good luck.
    Yeah, I'm replacing my shoes once it's over. I think my current pair will go to the donate pile. Good advice on the hidden rocks and roots, hadn't thought about that.

I'm bringing a couple friends along for the fun. It should be a good/painful time.
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

I did the one at Wintergreen, VA last year. Like others have said, just have fun. It isn't really a competition because they don't time you. It's more of a sense of completion and comraderie. Most everyone there takes turns helping others at the obstacles. Each Tough Mudder is a little different but none of the obstacles at Wintergreen were that hard, especially with all the helpers. The hiking up and down the mountain was by far the hardest part. I don't know about the one in MD, but most courses are not on a mountain, so you probably won't have to worry about that.

These things are springing up everywhere now. It's pretty easy money for the organizers. Set up some mud pits and get a thousand adventure seekers to come out for $60-100 bucks a head. But it's fun so we do it! We are currently deciding on the Filthy Fun Mud Run in Raleigh or the Dirty Dan Dash in Danville, VA for this November. They are also planning a Tough Mudder in Virginia Beach for June 2013.

Some of the events are timed competitions, complete with encoded chips. Of course, the chips might be primarily intended to help recover lost bodies ...

We are putting a team together here at work for the Tough Mudder in Virginia Beach on June 1st. Our employer has been gracious enough to sponsor us, covering the entrance fee. They deem it a team building experience.

I did one outside of Charlotte and loved it. An absolute blast. Just be ready to throw away every article of clothing you wear to the event.