Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coffee Talk

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Okay, per my other post, it's not a cat, rather, a "cat-like creature" called a Luwak (Lavabe, heard of this animal?).

Here's a link. Far out.

http://www.lifeaftercoffee.com/2005/...-luwak-coffee/

-EarlJam
    You really don't want coffee from coffee berries that have passed through the digestive tract of Asian palm civets. I'd really like to know how folks figured this would be a suitable drink.

I saw loads of civets in Laos. "CIVET," however, is a dynamite word for SCRABBLE.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

Schrafft's

I grew up eating Schrafft's Coffee Ice Cream in the single serving size -- a quart container. (Sometimes I had strawberry instead!)

I like my hot coffee to taste like that - made with 1 Equal per 6 oz. and some sort of milk or cream, occasionally Coffeemate French Vanilla. I usually buy Folgers medium roast. I'm down to about a half cup in the morning, and quite often don't finish that.

As far as Heat Index we're about 107, with an actual temp of 101F at 5:00 p.m. here in Smithfield.

Have I just hijacked the thread to talk about ice cream instead? Could be! Good day/week for it!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Talk amongst yourselves:

A thighmaster is neither a thigh nor a master.

The radical reconstruction of the south after the Civil War was neither radical nor a reconstruction.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt's new deal was neither new nor a deal.

Rhode Island is neither a rhode nor an island.

The Italian Neo Realist Movement in film was neither Italian nor neo nor particuarly a movement.

The chick pea is neither a chick nor a pea.

The Progressive Era was neither progressive nor an era.

Discuss!
    The Dalai Lama is neither a dolly, nor a lama.

Def Leppard is neither Deaf, nor a Leopard.

I am neither Earl, nor Jam.

Contrary to the words of the bartender at Fox & Hounds last night, my friend Jeremy is neither a mother, nor a fu(ker.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    You really don't want coffee from coffee berries that have passed through the digestive tract of Asian palm civets. I'd really like to know how folks figured this would be a suitable drink.

I saw loads of civets in Laos. "CIVET," however, is a dynamite word for SCRABBLE.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Holy CRAP! ASIAN PALM CIVETS! You just provided me with either:

1) The name of our next league softball team
    2) The name of my next CD (EarlJam Records, release date: June, 2008)

Too cool. And seriously, great and admittedly impressive info Lavabe!

-EarlJam

Earljam, Devilalumna, ya'll are killin' me (in a good way)

I have yet to master the art of multiple quotes in one posting thus sadly have to give you a shout out another way.

Devilalumna, love the "coffee talk"!!

Earljam, love the lyrics.

Was also ROTFLMAO over both posts. Thanks for making my day a little brighter.

Earljam, why aren't you writing lyrics professionally?

I got to bed very late last night, but compensated by sleeping in. It's a beautiful 72 outside, with a light haze drifting in off the ocean. And now, on to the questions:

How: black.

What: whatever seems good from a local roaster (preferably Bird Rock, but that's out of the way, so often Pannakin).

How much: 1-2 cups in the morning. Another after lunch (except it's the nasty office stuff).

Question for all the Starbuck haters: if it is agreed that Starbucks coffee is not very good, but that their coffee slingers are really good at handling complicated orders, why would one expect the average Starbucks patron to simply order a P.O.F.C.? The reason to go to Starbucks is because you can get the same sugary, syrupy creation at any of the stores, made just the way you like it. Since I prefer black coffee, Starbucks ain't my thing. But I certainly don't think someone's an a**hole because they like double soy decaf sugar free cinnomon dolce lattes.

Civet coffee sounds worse than monkey-picked oolong tea:
    "Its legendary name refers to Buddhist monks who trained monkeys to harvest the youngest leaves from the top of the wild tea trees. Presently the term "Monkey Picked" refers to the highest quality of oolong available. "
    From Teavana Corp. web site: http://www.teavana.com/Monkey+Picked...ProductDetails
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Civet coffee sounds worse than monkey-picked oolong tea:
    "Its legendary name refers to Buddhist monks who trained monkeys to harvest the youngest leaves from the top of the wild tea trees. Presently the term "Monkey Picked" refers to the highest quality of oolong available. "
    From Teavana Corp. web site: http://www.teavana.com/Monkey+Picked...ProductDetails
    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    I'm going to Starbucks this evening - am going to walk up to the counter and say, "Hi there. Yes, um, I'll take a grande civet dung coffee with a venti monkey-picked oolong tea please. And make it snappy; I'm having my toenails polished in ten. Thaaaaaaaaaaaanks."

Nevermind.
    Last edited by EarlJam; 08-07-2007 at 05:48 PM.

Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron
    [/QUOTE]
    Question for all the Starbuck haters: if it is agreed that Starbucks coffee is not very good, but that their coffee slingers are really good at handling complicated orders, why would one expect the average Starbucks patron to simply order a P.O.F.C.? The reason to go to Starbucks is because you can get the same sugary, syrupy creation at any of the stores, made just the way you like it. Since I prefer black coffee, Starbucks ain't my thing. But I certainly don't think someone's an a**hole because they like double soy decaf sugar free cinnomon dolce lattes.[/QUOTE]

I'll quote my favorite passage from one of the Gar Guys' books (you know, Click and Clack)
    Ray, in a rant, says: "It turns out (Starbucks) has introduced a new size..above "tall." "Grande!" So now "grande" is large, "tall" is medium, and "short" is small. You follow me?...
    ...From now on, I'm going to walk up to a counter and say, "Gimme 2 bucks worth." When they say "Do you want tall, venti..." I'm gonna say, "You figure it out. Here's my 2 bucks. Give me as much coffe as that will buy."
    Magliozzi, Tom; In Our Humble Opinion, 2000, p.122-123

Also, Beethoven was quoted as having said that the perfect cup of coffee required 60 beans.
    Don't know if it was Venti, or Grande!
    Or even Opera Buffa...

I brew Gevalia at home unless I run out. Then, until my next order arrives on my doorstsep, I go to one of the blends from Whole Foods or Southern Season. (Don't like Starbuck's either.) I like it big and robust. Straight in the morning, but with cream later in the day. Usually 2 cups in the morning...maybe one decaf late in the day with cream this time. Good luck with your project.

Love, Ima

Sing to "big hair" 70's or 80's rockin' beat.

Seventeen, a bit of a slob;
    Very green, daddy said 'get a job!'
    No ladies, no money;
    No sweet suga for me to call 'honey.'

You see I....

I didn't know what real love was;
    I didn't know, what real love does!
    Got my first gig at the A&P:
    Mean as a snake, nobody stopping me!

Just a boy, in fact a bag boy;
    Lady said, "I'm sure you're a 'bad' boy!
    I knew right then, love I would find it;
    Bag boy, bad boy, ooh I got to grind it!

Rock on!

Song by EarlJam, lyrics inspired by CaptMojo (rising)

-EarlJam
    I'll keep settin'em up if you keep knockin'em out. Great job!

Wow! Lot's of black coffee drinkers here. Well, drinkers of black coffee.
    I figure that if God had meant for us to put cream and sugar in our coffee he'd have put it in the beans. I feel the same way about flavoring...

COFFEE PERKS

Drinking at least three cups of coffee a day helps protect older women against age-related memory decline, French researchers said yesterday.

Men did not enjoy the same benefit, they said.
    Now is that fair? i think not!

What's P.O.F.C.?

Sorry, I'm still on my first cup of coffee this morning, and I have no idea what P.O.F.C. means!
    No soup for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    COFFEE PERKS

Now is that fair? i think not!

This story gives one the impression this was a Duke study.
    http://www3.whdh.com/features/articl...hcast/BO59227/,

Am drinking a cup now hoping to revive some memory cells.

What grad school does

I was a hoity toity non-caffeine drinker until I had to really push for my grad school exams. Now I'm pretty much happily addicted.

1. How do you like your coffee?
    Black unless it is swill

2. What brand do you usually brew at home?
    Grind whole French roasted beans from wherever. Tried a bunch of kinds at Whole Foods, but eventually settled on the 40 oz non-starbucks bag from Costco. 3 min steep in a french press

3. How many cups do you usually have per day?
    6-8oz still hops me up quite a bit. So for the sake of those who have to work with me, I try to keep it down.

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    This story gives one the impression this was a Duke study.
    http://www3.whdh.com/features/articl...hcast/BO59227/,

Am drinking a cup now hoping to revive some memory cells.
    Actually i blame global warming for the memory loss in men, never coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    Actually i blame global warming for the memory loss in men, never coffee!
    LOL

Are you in denial over memory loss?

bike shop

My bike shop sells coffee that comes in cans which are handy to have around sometimes. So I am drinking "Jittery Joes Morning Ride". I like coffee with a tablespoon of good icecream in it.

If I am looking for a turbocharge I order a "shot in the dark" two shots of expresso in a cup of coffee with cream and sugar. Now that will get your heart to skip a few beats.