Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coffee Talk

Cool juice of the gods

1) A la Dennis Leary-I like coffee flavored coffee, hot and black.

2) At home I drip brew Eight O'Clock Columbian with Brita filtered water. I own a French press but evidently not a large enough one. I buy whole bean and grind myself. For some reason the "Captainess" has a problem with the proper grind consistency so I am always requested to do it. I don't know if Eight O'Clock is a fair trade coffee but it appears to be an excellent value. Anyway, it's never been reported what Juan Valdez has growing on the other side of that mountain!

3) How much? Too damn. I'm slurpin' one now, but I'll switch to Tetley iced tea around 3pm.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post

Man, I hate to break it to you, but Starbucks (gasp) owns Seattle's Best. Thanks for supporting my local economy.
    What? Really? Seattle, Coffee, I guess it all makes sense........now.

Well, it doesn't taste like Starbucks to me and I like it so yes, I will continue supporting the Seattle community.

Also, I'd kill a homeless man under the 14th Street bridge for it to be grey and 55 degrees here in Atlanta. It's SO hot outside. In the 90s but with all the humidity, the heat index is well above 100. Fall can't get here soon enough for me, EarlJam.

-EarlJam.

What a wussy!

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    ...It's SO hot outside. In the 90s but with all the humidity, the heat index is well above 100.
    Heat index?!?

We don't need no stinkin' heat index to get to 100! It's over 100 (39C for us Metric types) here, (don't ask about the humidity) an we still got a few more hours to go. (I pity my son at football practice.)

Heat index indeed!

Why in my day.......

1. How do you like your coffee?

Brewed. I find that eating the beans or even ground beans doesn't taste very good. Wait, that's not what you meant is it?

I like my coffee with a little bit of milk, preferably skim milk, no sugar.

2. What brand do you usually brew at home?

When I brew at home (which is occasionally on the weekends) I usually use Folgers. Though if I'm craving it I'll grind beans from Green Mountain Roasters.

3. How many cups do you usually have per day?

On average two sips a day. I generally only drink coffee if I've worked late the night before, thus will pick up a small cup of flavored coffee in the Duke Hospital cafeteria. And I tend not to finish the cup.

Had not been drinking Diet Coke for a number of years, but picked that nasty habit back up earlier this year. Am trying to once again cut that out of the ole diet.

I'd take Heat Index

... over windchill any day. It's 11AM, and still only 61. It's AUGUST, for pete's sake!!!

I miss me some Durham and DC summers.

Quote Originally Posted by TNTDevil View Post
    Heat index?!?

We don't need no stinkin' heat index to get to 100! It's over 100 (39C for us Metric types) here, (don't ask about the humidity) an we still got a few more hours to go. (I pity my son at football practice.)

Heat index indeed!

Why in my day.......
    Where you be, TNT?

-EarlJam

Can't you tell?

Where you be, TNT?

-EarlJam
    I'm in...

...hell!

Or, as the realtors call it, Wake Forest, NC.

2. Peets, Fair trade blend or Costa Rican.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    I drink my coffee the way my grandma first made it for me when I was 5 -- with sugar & 2% milk.
    Thanks for that - it brought back a great memory - perhaps my earliest memory.

Despite being a great cook, my grandmother always made instant coffee. She had some large saucers, very deep, almost like small bowls. In the mornings when I would stay with her she would make instant coffee and fill each coffee cup about 1/3 of the way full. She would then fill the cup to the top with evaporated milk, and add two spoons of sugar. Then she would pour coffee from the cup into the saucer (it cooled faster in the saucer). This is how she always drank her coffee, and how she fixed it for me when I was there to stay with her. We sipped/slurped our coffee out of the saucer til it was empty, then refilled the saucer until the coffee was gone. I've never had better coffee and I never will. Those early mornings drinking coffee with her before anyone else was awake were probably the closest I'll ever come to magic on earth.

This all took place in an old house in Harnett County, about 1965 or so, until she finally moved out of that house in 1973. The house (still standing, but vacant) is only about 25 miles from Raleigh. Despite being that close to the capital, she did not have running water in her house, only a few electrical outlets, and a coal stove for heat. She lived there until I was about 13 or so.

coffee

1. Black ... no sugar or cream, but sometimes with a small shot of brandy (cheap brandy ... no need to waste the good stuff in coffee).

2. Maxwell House regular (much better than dark roast) is what I drink at home. On the road, I'll drink anything, except decaf ...

3. I can't drink as much as I used to. Normally, I drink 3-4 cups in the morning, but I rarely drink in the afternoon or evenings. After lunch, I get my caffine from cold soft drinks.

The great Robert Heinlein once graded coffee in five descending stages: Coffee, Java, Jamoke, Joe and Carbon Remover ... Obviously, I prefer coffee, but I'm drink the carbon remover if that's all I can get.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    Thanks for that - it brought back a great memory - perhaps my earliest memory.

Despite being a great cook, my grandmother always made instant coffee. She had some large saucers, very deep, almost like small bowls. In the mornings when I would stay with her she would make instant coffee and fill each coffee cup about 1/3 of the way full. She would then fill the cup to the top with evaporated milk, and add two spoons of sugar. Then she would pour coffee from the cup into the saucer (it cooled faster in the saucer). This is how she always drank her coffee, and how she fixed it for me when I was there to stay with her. We sipped/slurped our coffee out of the saucer til it was empty, then refilled the saucer until the coffee was gone. I've never had better coffee and I never will. Those early mornings drinking coffee with her before anyone else was awake were probably the closest I'll ever come to magic on earth.

This all took place in an old house in Harnett County, about 1965 or so, until she finally moved out of that house in 1973. The house (still standing, but vacant) is only about 25 miles from Raleigh. Despite being that close to the capital, she did not have running water in her house, only a few electrical outlets, and a coal stove for heat. She lived there until I was about 13 or so.
    I thought you were talking about me there for a moment, or we might be related, until you said Harnett co. Oh god, Nescafe'
    sucked. I didn't know what real coffee was until my first job at A&P when as a bagboy I got to grind it.

Baily's Irish Cream and a shot still helps warm the soul in winter.

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    I didn't know what real coffee was until my first job at A&P when as a bagboy I got to grind it.
    Take out the word "coffee," replace it with "love" (and/or some variation thereof), and you have the makings of some great 70's rock lyrics.

-Earl, "the pearl" Jam

Take out the word "coffee," replace it with "love" (and/or some variation thereof), and you have the makings of some great 70's rock lyrics.

-Earl, "the pearl" Jam
    ROTFLMAO - keep the lyric going

1. Black (and perhaps a tad snobbily so )
    2. Green Mountain
    3. Depends on work. If I have morning meetings, four cups a day. If not, two cups a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    ROTFLMAO - keep the lyric going
    Sing to "big hair" 70's or 80's rockin' beat.

Seventeen, a bit of a slob;
    Very green, daddy said 'get a job!'
    No ladies, no money;
    No sweet suga for me to call 'honey.'

You see I....

I didn't know what real love was;
    I didn't know, what real love does!
    Got my first gig at the A&P:
    Mean as a snake, nobody stopping me!

Just a boy, in fact a bag boy;
    Lady said, "I'm sure you're a 'bad' boy!
    I knew right then, love I would find it;
    Bag boy, bad boy, ooh I got to grind it!

Rock on!

Song by EarlJam, lyrics inspired by CaptMojo (rising)

-EarlJam

1. Black

2. A group of us at work tried everything we could find - all the Starbucks, all the store brands, etc. We even had some Kona (including Peaberry) shipped over from Hawaii. What we ended up with was Seattle's Best - Henry's Blend. It's hard to beat a coffee named after an old scruffy cat.

3. Usually about 3 real cups.

Quote Originally Posted by ArnieMc View Post
    1. Black

2. A group of us at work tried everything we could find - all the Starbucks, all the store brands, etc. We even had some Kona (including Peaberry) shipped over from Hawaii. What we ended up with was Seattle's Best - Henry's Blend. It's hard to beat a coffee named after an old scruffy cat.

3. Usually about 3 real cups.
    Speaking of cats and coffee (I think it's cats), did you see where one of the most expensive coffees in the world is a coffee who's beans are eaten by cats and passed through their digestive tract. The beans are then pulled from the cat's excrement then processed for brewing and imbibing.

I am not joking. I promise. I will search for the reference.

-EarlJam

Cat Poo Coffee

Okay, per my other post, it's not a cat, rather, a "cat-like creature" called a Luwak (Lavabe, heard of this animal?).

Here's a link. Far out.

http://www.lifeaftercoffee.com/2005/...-luwak-coffee/

-EarlJam

I guess that I need to start posting again, now that my lack of graduate student bball tickets will substantially reduce my Duke basketball mojo...

1) At home: french vanilla coffee creamer
    At work: 2 creamer packets (non-flavored), 1/2 Equal packet
    On the road: Grande Triple Caffe Mocha, one pump, non-fat, no whip (yes, I think I am "that guy in line")

2) At home: Maxwell house
    At work: Starbucks pre-ground (provided free by the Pathology Dept!!!)
    On the road: Starbucks, because that's usually the closest place...

3) Since I have separate sections for home, work, and road coffee, you might think I drink alot of coffee, but it's not that much. Maybe 3 coffee mugs a day (each is probably bigger than a cup)...

Since this looks like a caffeine lovers thread, what do y'all think about the "Pepsi Max" that I've been seeing around recently? In my mind, more caffeine = better soda. I could care less about the ginseng they put in there...

More "Coffee Talk"

Talk amongst yourselves:

A thighmaster is neither a thigh nor a master.

The radical reconstruction of the south after the Civil War was neither radical nor a reconstruction.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt's new deal was neither new nor a deal.

Rhode Island is neither a rhode nor an island.

The Italian Neo Realist Movement in film was neither Italian nor neo nor particuarly a movement.

The chick pea is neither a chick nor a pea.

The Progressive Era was neither progressive nor an era.

Discuss!