Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee Talk

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Coffee Talk

Good morning everyone. I hope everyone got a good night's sleep. I slept okay, but woke up a few times during the night. Anyway, I was having coffee while watching the news this morning and it got me to thinking, "I wonder how the posters on DBR like their coffee. What brands are their favorites?"

Therefore, I pose the question:

1. How do you like your coffee?
    2. What brand do you usually brew at home?
    3. How many cups do you usually have per day?

For me, EarlJam, I like my coffee with a little cream, no sugar. I usually brew Seattle's Best. Hate Starbucks. Caribou is good coffee.

I usually have three cups of coffee each day.

-EarlJam

P.S. There is a purpose to this. Combined with the "Lunch" thread, I'm working on an elaborate DBR project.

1. I drink my coffee black. In the summer, iced coffee (no sweetener) is my choice.

2. For home brewing, I get my beans from local shops Aurora Coffee or Inman Perk. Starbucks is too bitter!

3. I make 7 cups, according to my coffee maker, and drink every drop. But clearly those are "mini-cups." Drinking any less would hardly be worth the time it takes to brew it.
    No soup for you!

Black. Basically just pick it, roast it and then pour hot water over it and I'm happy.

varies, I don't really have a favorite

Also varies...due to my acid reflux I can't drink as much as i like, but usually 5-6 in the AM, then depending on my work schedule for the day either 1 - 2 in the afternoon or 1 - 2 in the evening. I make 6 - 7 cups [9 cups if my wife has not for work yet] in the morning and if i don't finish the pot I will in the afternoon. if I finished it I'll make fresh.

[BTW, the doctor told me to drink decaf but i told him that would not happen!]
    Last edited by Bluedawg; 08-07-2007 at 09:47 AM.

1. Black. Always black.

2. Whatever was on special the day I went to the grocery store (hopefully Folgers or Maxwell House).

3. 4 cups, according to my coffee maker. It really doesn't seem like that much.

FWIW, Starbucks is actually bad coffee according to proper technique. It is harvested before it's ripe and then over-roasted to compensate. So, if you think it tastes bitter and burnt, then it's because, well, it is. Funny that so many people spend so much money on crappy coffee...on every street corner in America!

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    FWIW, Starbucks is actually bad coffee according to proper technique. It is harvested before it's ripe and then over-roasted to compensate. So, if you think it tastes bitter and burnt, then it's because, well, it is. Funny that so many people spend so much money on crappy coffee...on every street corner in America!
    Interesting! Who knew? Starbucks sucks.

Wow! Lot's of black coffee drinkers here. Well, drinkers of black coffee.

-EarlJam

With cream (or creamer) and sugar

A French roast from a local coffee shop, sometimes Starbucks or Caribou if the local shop is closed.

One Duke mug of strong brew (four teaspoons of coffee) on weekdays. Two mugs of strong brew (two large coffee measures) on weekends. We usually go to the local coffee shop one or two evenings a week.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Wow! Lot's of black coffee drinkers here. Well, drinkers of black coffee.
    I figure that if God had meant for us to put cream and sugar in our coffee he'd have put it in the beans. I feel the same way about flavoring...

Black

I don't have a favorite brand, but I prefer dark roasts - no funky flavors no decaf...just plain coffee in its pure form

3 or 4 depending on how much time I have in the morning
    Windsor (aka Loni)

a wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    [B]Also varies...due to my acid reflux I can't drink as much as i like, but usually 5-6 in the AM, then depending on my work schedule for the day either 1 - 2 in the afternoon or 1 - 2 in the evening. I make 6 - 7 cups [9 cups if my wife has not for work yet] in the morning and if i don't finish the pot I will in the afternoon. if I finished it I'll make fresh.

[BTW, the doctor told me to drink decaf but i told him that would not happen!]
    1. Black. No sugar, no cream, just plain ol' mud.
    2. French Roast (a variety of brands) and Madagascar beans (obtained from a store in New Jersey). My favorite coffee shop (with a Georgia Pecan blend) is in Athens, GA, next to UGA (a close second goes to one next to UC Berkeley). I am now strictly decaf for medical reasons. Haven't had straight coffee/tea/coke/pepsi in 1 1/2 years.
    3. In my day (age 5-45), I was Bluedawg level. Now I'm 2-4 cups per month.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

I found this interesting...

Energy drinks' caffeine in line with coffee

Despite such speedy-sounding names as "Full Throttle," "Amp" and "Rush," energy drinks pack a punch that is generally no stronger than coffee, according to a report released on Monday.
    Why pay the extra $$ for Energy drinks when a cup of joe will do the trick.

1. Black. Additions are sacrilege unless it's bad coffee.
    2. All Intelligentsia, all the time. Best, freshest grounds in the world, properly roasted. Luckily, I live a couple miles from the flagship store. Back in the day I was a Caribou fan. I've never liked Charbucks and will happily walk six blocks further than I have to in order to avoid it.
    3. Weekdays I don't brew at home but get a 12 oz. cup in the A.M. (half decaf). Weekends I brew at home and have two 8 oz. cups between 8:00 and noon (full throttle, I need more energy for the kids).

If you're a serious coffee fan, all y'all need to get a French press if you don't have one - I got one about a year ago and it's one of those little things that make such a positive impact on your quality of life that you wonder how or why you ever lived without one. Best 25 bucks I've spent.

Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron
    1. Black
    2. Krogers or Harris-Teeter's French Roast beans, ground just before brewing, mixed 1/2 decaf; 1/2 caf, in a Braun maker with a water filter, using non-bleached paper coffee filters.
    3. 2-3 cups in am; rarely after dinner, as it gets in the way of my ale-drinking. Got to balance the uppers and downers, you know?

Can't abide Starbucks as a rule, but I gotta admit, there's not much better than strolling the aisles of Barnes & Noble with a decaf mocha grande on a Friday night.
    JStuart

Unless I'm in Europe, I'd rather have my caffeine in iced tea, Diet Coke, or half a NoDoz pill. Just don't like the taste. For some reason that changes when I'm abroad and I start enjoying cafe au lait, cafe creme, latte, whatever.

1. Real sugar and a little milk.

2. I don't brew at home, I take what the office provides.

3. Some days none, some day several cups. Depends on how late I was working the night before.

P. O. F. C.

P.O.F.C.

On the rare occasion when I am in a Starbucks that is how I order it. They always know what I mean, and most of them get a kick out of it.

There is nothing more pretentious than using three different langauges and a dozen or so words to order a cup of coffee. I have been tempted to order a "double-caramel-cheesecake-eggnog candy-coated triple-whipped white chocolate grande mocha with extra corn syrup solids and glops of mysterious grainy residue" just to see the staff reaction. However, I figure working in Starbucks to begin with means they must have accululated some really bad karma already and I don't need to add to their woes. (dring name courtesy of Mark Morford, San Francisco Chronicle)

I couldn't agree more. In fact...

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    ...There is nothing more pretentious than using three different langauges and a dozen or so words to order a cup of coffee. I have been tempted to order a "double-caramel-cheesecake-eggnog candy-coated triple-whipped white chocolate grande mocha with extra corn syrup solids and glops of mysterious grainy residue" just to see the staff reaction. However, I figure working in Starbucks to begin with means they must have accululated some really bad karma already and I don't need to add to their woes. (dring name courtesy of Mark Morford, San Francisco Chronicle)
    Your post reminded me of a "New Rules" segment on Real Time with Bill Maher:
    New Rule: The more complicated the Starbucks order, the bigger the a**hole. If you walk into a Starbucks and order a "decaf grande half-soy, half-lowfat, iced vanilla, double-shot, gingerbread cappuccino, extra dry, light ice, with one Sweet-n'-Low and one NutraSweet," ooh, you're a huge a**hole
    'Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by TNTDevil View Post
    Your post reminded me of a "New Rules" segment on Real Time with Bill Maher:'Nuff said.
    Sometimes it's fun to be the person right behind the a-hole that needs a full paragraph to order his/her coffee. It's fun being next in line and following up that act with, "Regular cup of coffee please."

Sometimes it actually embarrasses the person who just ordered - especially if you begin your order with a somewhat dramatic, "Jesus Christ,..." (e.g., "(sigh) Jesus Christ, (pause for effect) Regular cup of coffee please."

-Earl mo' farkin' Jam

Cool juice of the gods

1) A la Dennis Leary-I like coffee flavored coffee, hot and black.

2) At home I drip brew Eight O'Clock Columbian with Brita filtered water. I own a French press but evidently not a large enough one. I buy whole bean and grind myself. For some reason the "Captainess" has a problem with the proper grind consistency so I am always requested to do it. I don't know if Eight O'Clock is a fair trade coffee but it appears to be an excellent value. Anyway, it's never been reported what Juan Valdez has growing on the other side of that mountain!

3) How much? Too damn. I'm slurpin' one now, but I'll switch to Tetley iced tea around 3pm.

COFFEE PERKS

Drinking at least three cups of coffee a day helps protect older women against age-related memory decline, French researchers said yesterday.

Men did not enjoy the same benefit, they said.
    Now is that fair? i think not!

What's P.O.F.C.?

Sorry, I'm still on my first cup of coffee this morning, and I have no idea what P.O.F.C. means!
    No soup for you!