For those exercising in the Heat

If you are working with anyone exercising in this heat wave, please read this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/07/he...tml?ref=health

Doctors Warn Against Infrared Thermometers

In the test, reported last month in the journal Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, the infrared thermometer gave readings below 100 degrees Fahrenheit when rectal thermometers topped 104 degrees, a temperature at which some patients begin to become vulnerable to heatstroke.

Douglas J. Casa, director of athletic training education at the University of Connecticut, who recently completed a study of 10 types of thermometers in intense training situations, said the infrared forehead and ear scanners were among those producing misleadingly low readings in his test.

Douglas J. Casa, director of athletic training education at the University of Connecticut, who recently completed a study of 10 types of thermometers in intense training situations, said the infrared forehead and ear scanners were among those producing misleadingly low readings in his test.
    Let there be no doubt that UConn people get all hot when long, firm things get stuck up their rear ends.

Talking Potw!

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Let there be no doubt that UConn people get all hot when long, firm things get stuck up their rear ends.
    Without a doubt, the POTW!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I rode 36 miles on my new road bike yesterday in DC's humid heat. I was sweating buckets. Today's even hotter, so I decided not to risk it.

Way to go, Reisen. I wimped out, myself. Where did you ride?

Question

For those exercising in the Heat
    please...why? Its bloody hot outside!

I played tennis the other night to avoid the heat of the day. Didn't work; at 9:00 p.m. when we finished it was still 91 degrees outside.

According to weather.com, we've broken a record 4 straight days in Durham. IIRC, 99, 99, 103, 102 degrees. I think my fingers are melting into the keyboard as I write this...

- Moose

If I waited for it not to be hot and humid I wouldn't be able to do anything until October...they could give this forecoast on June 1st "Highs in the low to mid 90s, humidity 80%, 40% of afternoon thundershowers overnight in the low to mid 80s" and not bother again until the end of September and still be correct 95% of the time.

Useless weather trivia: In the Tampa Bay area of Florida it has never reached 100. Once it creeps over 95 or so rain is a guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor View Post

Useless weather trivia: In the Tampa Bay area of Florida it has never reached 100. Once it creeps over 95 or so rain is a guarantee.
    I was in Ft. Lauderdale last week, and when the evening weather forecaster said "tomorrow's high of 95 will be a record" I couldn't believe it had never been over 100 in early August. As I posted in the football practice pictures thread, I remember 95/95 days in late August in 1970, my junior year in HS (and my first week as a Ft. Lauderdale resident.)
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com