Page 5 of 147 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    It's not that I don't believe you. I do. It's just that I can't understand why Coach K would be getting on a plane, going across the country to Las Vegas to visit a 2015 frontcourt prospect and offer him a scholarship to Duke, and that prospect's name is not Stephen Zimmerman.
    Is there an academic issue? Character questions we don't know about? Signals from Zimmerman that he's not interested? I've heard it said (though I can't really believe it) that there are a couple people in the USA who just don't like Duke.

It's not that uncommon for us not to recruit a top player or to step in late. Looks like UNC hasn't offered either.
    Last edited by Henderson; 10-02-2013 at 09:20 PM.

It's not that I don't believe you. I do. It's just that I can't understand why Coach K would be getting on a plane, going across the country to Las Vegas to visit a 2015 frontcourt prospect and offer him a scholarship to Duke, and that prospect's name is not Stephen Zimmerman.
    I actually agree that it seems odd coach k would offer a scholly to someone in 2015 who isn't a top 10 players; though, this kid's stock is rising fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    Is there an academic issue? Character questions we don't know about? Signals from Zimmerman that he's not interested? I've heard it said (though I can't really believe it) that there are a couple people in the USA who just don't like Duke.

It's not that uncommon for us not to recruit a top player or to step in late. Looks like UNC hasn't offered either.
    There are indications that Mr. Zimmerman's group of advisors may include Ron Holmes, a road Duke may not be all that fond of going down again.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    There are indications that Mr. Zimmerman's group of advisors may include Ron Holmes, a road Duke may not be all that fond of going down again.
    Indications.

19. Who are some of the mentors that got you to where you are at right now?

Zimmerman: My parents, Coach Clayton Williams my Dream Vision coach, Shabazz Muhammad, and Ron Holmes.
    Then again, Jeter plays on the same AAU team, so.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Indications.

It's entirely possible that some members of the AAU team listen to different people than other members of that team.

Zimmermans UK or Arizona..

The guy i want to put more time into in that class of 15' bigs is Diamond Stone.. Hes always been extremely skilled but is now getting into shape and becoming more athletic hes a beast!

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Indications.

Well, that interview is over a year old, and the interview was given to the Dreamvision squad's site, so it's not surprising that Zimmerman was very complimentary of the program and those around it, including Shabazz and his father.

Besides that, Mr. Holmes undoubtedly has more important matters on his mind these days than mentoring young Mr. Zimmerman, what with his having been indicted on federal bank fraud, mail fraud, and conspiracy charges. Given that, I'd be pretty surprised if Stephen and his family had Mr. Holmes in any kind of significant advisory role at this point. I think there are other issues.

We seem to be going after Matt Ryan hard i dont know much about him at all but he seems like a great shooter and judging by his rankings thats probably his one strength..

We can always use shooters but i guess the question for him is does he want to go to Duke and the prestige that comes with it but the way were always loaded with guards/wings theryes a chance he could be buried on the bench or go to a lesser school but guarantee of a role and playing time..

Quote Originally Posted by AAA1980 View Post
    We can always use shooters but i guess the question for him is does he want to go to Duke and the prestige that comes with it but the way were always loaded with guards/wings theryes a chance he could be buried on the bench or go to a lesser school but guarantee of a role and playing time..
    The class of 2015 won't set foot on campus until the 2015-2016 season. So much will have changed by then that it impossible to know whether or not Duke will be loaded with guards and wings. '09-'10 is a prime example of a Duke team that just the year before was loaded at the guard/wing spots with Paulus, Henderson, Scheyer, Smith, and Williams with Pocius as a backup (not even counting Singler as a wing) entered the season with only Smith and Scheyer plus a young freshman Dawkins. Bottom line, there are just too many unknowns. Plus, ANY recruit in the top 100 who is scared away by competition from teammates should probably immediately throw out the possibility of playing at a top-tier program. Austin Rivers sat in favor of Tyler Thornton in crunch time against Kansas two years ago. Corey Maggette came off the bench for Duke in '99. The highly touted Gerald Henderson took a full season before he was featured in the rotation and another season before he emerged as a full-fledged star. All these guys were lottery picks. Competition is a part of going to a top school.

Quote Originally Posted by AAA1980 View Post
    We seem to be going after Matt Ryan hard i dont know much about him at all but he seems like a great shooter and judging by his rankings thats probably his one strength..

He needs to get a scholarship offer first. This early in the process, Duke is evaluating everyone (that has the grades) but only a select few end up with offers.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Zimmerman just got an offer from UNC.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    So you're saying we offered already?

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    So you're saying we offered already?

- Chillin
    I'm saying it proves there are character questions.

KIDDING.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    Now being reported that UNC offered Jeter today too.

Looks like Ben Simmons is off the market.
    http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/story?storyId=9823563

Quote Originally Posted by sfinleyo View Post
    Well, if we don't him, best no other blue chipper does either.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by sfinleyo View Post
    Say what now....?
    The LSU coach (I had to look up his name) was able to be a bigger draw, than the 2x gold medal winning US Olympic coach?
    I actually had to read the article...

Money Quote:
    "It's a huge pickup for Tigers coach Johnny Jones and his program, which had several ties to Simmons, the most important one being that LSU assistant David Patrick is Simmons' godfather and played with Dave Simmons in Australia."

LSU had personal connections... OK that makes sense now.

God Bless him - we'll be here if he changes his mind...

Now being reported that UNC offered Jeter today too.
    UNC did offer Jeter on Friday per his parents.

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    Say what now....?
    The LSU coach (I had to look up his name) was able to be a bigger draw, than the 2x gold medal winning US Olympic coach?
    Not to pick on wilko, but this type of comment really concerns me, and it is written on a daily basis by many different DBR posters. Yes, Coach Krzyzewski has career accomplishments that no other current basketball coach on any level can match. Yes, he is undoubtedly a big draw for recruits. And yes, I am a vocal and enthusiastic supporter of Coach Krzyzewski. However, I think it is Duke University and our basketball program that should be--has to be--a bigger draw than Coach Krzyzewski. If we keep using Coach as the main reason why recruits should choose Duke over other schools then we could be in real trouble when he leaves. And it could be sooner than we think.

I just cringe a little bit every time I hear a recruit mention Coach Krzyzewski as the reason they chose Duke. Coach Krzyzewski is temporary. Duke University is not. I think there is a cult of personality that has developed around Coach that is potentially harmful in the long run to The University as well as its basketball program. To be clear, I'm not blaming Coach Krzyzewski for being so very good at what he does. It's not his fault that he is looked upon as an almost god-like figure. It is our collective fault, though, for perpetuating his mythical status through unquestioning flattery and praise, and we need to stop it.
    Last edited by JBDuke; 10-16-2013 at 08:25 AM. Reason: fixed quote tag

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Not to pick on wilko, but this type of comment really concerns me, and it is written on a daily basis by many different DBR posters. However, I think it is Duke University and our basketball program that should be--has to be--a bigger draw than Coach Krzyzewski. If we keep using Coach as the main reason why recruits should choose Duke over other schools then we could be in real trouble when he leaves. And it could be sooner than we think.

I just cringe a little bit every time I hear a recruit mention Coach Krzyzewski as the reason they chose Duke. Coach Krzyzewski is temporary. Duke University is not. It is our collective fault, though, for perpetuating his mythical status through unquestioning flattery and praise, and we need to stop it.
    I don't feel picked on -
    I'll worry about post K once we ARE indeed post K. Not talking about K as much in the time that remains isn't going to ease the pain when hes gone. I'd rather enjoy what we have in the here and now full force with a side helping of rah-rah because I KNOW it not going to last forever!