Page 42 of 147 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292142 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    O-Henry in Milwaukee? Sounds familiar ...

Would be a real Home Run for Wojo.

Wojo - hammerin' the opposition on the recruiting trail ...
    Yeah, but who's his big man coach?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Yeah, but who's his big man coach?
    Mugsy bogues.

So apparently Diamond Stone just named his top 5 on twitter and Duke is in it along with Maryland, Wisonsin, Ok State, and UConn. I was under the impression we had moved on from him or vice versa (but i have no inside information). My expert guess would be him and Newman to UConn together.

Tommy, awesome articles on DBR over the past two days.

You're a great part of the community and why we are here. Just wanted to give you some props on the boards again.

Would love to get an overall Duke update similar to the ACC update. Who's left in 2015 and targets for 2016 etc. (Do you take requests? Can you play Stairway?)

You the man.

-Skitzle

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod Drain View Post
    So apparently Diamond Stone just named his top 5 on twitter and Duke is in it along with Maryland, Wisonsin, Ok State, and UConn. I was under the impression we had moved on from him or vice versa (but i have no inside information). My expert guess would be him and Newman to UConn together.
    Duke should have Seniors Amile Jefferson and Marshall Plumlee, Sophomore Sean Obi and Freshman Chase Jeter on the roster. That's likely a tough sell for Stone. Although things can change...

Has he set a time-frame for a decision? Fall or Spring?

Tyler Dorsey

Dorsey's final 6 are all out west and in the Zagsblog today.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Duke should have Seniors Amile Jefferson and Marshall Plumlee, Sophomore Sean Obi and Freshman Chase Jeter on the roster. That's likely a tough sell for Stone. Although things can change...

Has he set a time-frame for a decision? Fall or Spring?
    He's said he'll decide in time for the early signing period, which begins Nov. 12.

Quote Originally Posted by Skitzle View Post
    Tommy, awesome articles on DBR over the past two days.

You're a great part of the community and why we are here. Just wanted to give you some props on the boards again.

Would love to get an overall Duke update similar to the ACC update. Who's left in 2015 and targets for 2016 etc. (Do you take requests? Can you play Stairway?)

You the man.

-Skitzle
    Thanks Skitzle. Really appreciate it.

Without writing a whole article on it, the bottom line I think on 2015 is that there is a whole lotta focus on Brandon Ingram, the versatile, skilled, long, and quiet 6'8" kid from Kinston. Of course it's good to be in Diamond Stone's final five, but while I hope to be wrong, I'd be surprised if we land him. I think the other 2015's we've been involved with at various points in the past are not going to happen. But a class of (Obi), Jeter, Kennard, and Ingram would be extremely high quality.

As for the 2016's, the list I posted here in the 2016 thread I think is still pretty accurate. But I would draw a line between the first five listed -- those being Maker, Tatum, Giles, Smith, and Battle (in no particular order) -- and the rest, with those top five being the guys getting most of the attention. And add to those five California forward TJ Leaf, who also has an offer.

Henry Ellenson

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod Drain View Post
    Spot on ole chap.

Really hoping Wojo can get this kid, would be a huge pickup for him. Izzo as well could use a top recruit. Cal... not so much.
    I’ve been reading the Marquette board (muscoop) since Wojo signed. with MU An interesting a poster who seems to be connected, factual, and knowledgeable (I think of him as “Tommy Lite”) stated Wally Ellenson has talent and will challenge for minutes next year. It was not a move purely to influence Henry.. Maybe there will be an E1 & E2 (Not baseball terms) on Wojo‘s future roster. Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Feet POF View Post
    I’ve been reading the Marquette board (muscoop) since Wojo signed. with MU An interesting a poster who seems to be connected, factual, and knowledgeable (I think of him as “Tommy Lite”) stated Wally Ellenson has talent and will challenge for minutes next year. It was not a move purely to influence Henry.. Maybe there will be an E1 & E2 (Not baseball terms) on Wojo‘s future roster. Nice!
    I don't have any insights regarding Henry Ellenson's inclinations, but it seems as though a lot of recruits list a local school as in the final mix, then go elsewhere. I'd be surprised and pleased if Ellenson chose Marquette, but it seems a long shot to me. In a world of all-info-all-the-time, good players don't need to join marquee programs to prepare for the NBA, but they tend to do so if they can. Marquette isn't chopped liver, so maybe that'll work for him, especially with his brother there. But I'd wager no. I hope I'm wrong.

Mystery

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    I don't have any insights regarding Henry Ellenson's inclinations, but it seems as though a lot of recruits list a local school as in the final mix, then go elsewhere. I'd be surprised and pleased if Ellenson chose Marquette, but it seems a long shot to me. In a world of all-info-all-the-time, good players don't need to join marquee programs to prepare for the NBA, but they tend to do so if they can. Marquette isn't chopped liver, so maybe that'll work for him, especially with his brother there. But I'd wager no. I hope I'm wrong.
    FWIW he is rated on 247 as 77% to Marquette, but there is truly only person that know either now or later where he going.

You may very we'll be right about Henry Ellenson going elsewhere but I don't think Marquette is still on his list as a shout out to the locals. Henry is from Rice Lake in NW Wisconsin. If he wanted to keep a local school on his list it would be Wisconsin or maybe Minnesota. Most rural northern Wisconsinites care very little about Marquette, a small private school in Milwaukee. Kind of like most rural North Carolinians and Duke.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

As he said he would do at the end of August, Brandon Ingram cut his list today. To the surprise of nobody, Duke and UNC made the cut. The others: Kentucky, NC State, Kansas, and UCLA.

On another note, I had a tidbit in my Recruiting Update the other day about the very fast start made on the recruiting trail by Auburn Coach Bruce Pearl when his "show cause" penalty period expired last weekend. He signed four quality players within a couple of days. Well, make it five, as today he landed 6'2" New Williams, a 4-star out of Santa Monica. Santa Monica, CA to Auburn, AL. Don't see a lot of guys making that transition. Pearl seems like he's gonna force people to sit up and take notice, and fast.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    As he said he would do at the end of August, Brandon Ingram cut his list today. To the surprise of nobody, Duke and UNC made the cut. The others: Kentucky, NC State, Kansas, and UCLA.

On another note, I had a tidbit in my Recruiting Update the other day about the very fast start made on the recruiting trail by Auburn Coach Bruce Pearl when his "show cause" penalty period expired last weekend. He signed four quality players within a couple of days. Well, make it five, as today he landed 6'2" New Williams, a 4-star out of Santa Monica. Santa Monica, CA to Auburn, AL. Don't see a lot of guys making that transition. Pearl seems like he's gonna force people to sit up and take notice, and fast.
    He certainly has my attention with his recruiting this season. How is he perceived among the fraternity of coaches? Good honest coach who made a silly mistake with the backyard cookout, or a corner-cutter? Maybe something else?

He certainly has my attention with his recruiting this season. How is he perceived among the fraternity of coaches? Good honest coach who made a silly mistake with the backyard cookout, or a corner-cutter? Maybe something else?
    Not the "backyard cookout" so much as lying about having a backyard cookout.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Not the "backyard cookout" so much as lying about having a backyard cookout.
    All together now... "It's not the crime, it's the coverup!"

-Jason "the fact that people will risk a huge punishment to avoid a little punishment is just not smart" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    All together now... "It's not the crime, it's the coverup!"

-Jason "the fact that people will risk a huge punishment to avoid a little punishment is just not smart" Evans
    ... As we've seen time and again. But before there was a coverup, there was a crime. I was just wondering if other coaches see Pearl as a cheater.

Mike DeCourcey has some plaudits for our commits

DeCourcey, never one to go out of his way to lavish praise on Duke, has a story on the Sporting News site listing his top 25 for the 2015 class based on summer observations. He's got Chase Jeter at #4 and Luke Kennard at #11.

And Sean Miller continues to impress at Arizona, with 3 of the top 25, and likely to add either Ivan Rabb or Stephen Zimmerman to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    DeCourcey, never one to go out of his way to lavish praise on Duke, has a story on the Sporting News site listing his top 25 for the 2015 class based on summer observations. He's got Chase Jeter at #4 and Luke Kennard at #11.

And Sean Miller continues to impress at Arizona, with 3 of the top 25, and likely to add either Ivan Rabb or Stephen Zimmerman to that.
    Link: http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...wn-stone-jeter
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post

I'm curious why you say that. I haven't read DeCourcey much in recent years, but he has always struck me as more likely than the average national commentator to strike a positive note about Duke.