Page 3 of 147 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    The last Aussie I remember was Andrew Gaze and I would like o forget him.
    Lots of West Coast schools have Australians. Luc Longley may have been the highest-profile Aussie in U.S. hoops.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Lots of West Coast schools have Australians. Luc Longley may have been the highest-profile Aussie in U.S. hoops.
    St. Mary's, for example:
    Code:
     4    Dellavedova, Matthew  G  6-4  190  Sr.  Maryborough, Victoria, Australia (AIS)  
    33    Hodgson, Matt  C  6-11  255  Jr.  Booval, Queensland, Australia (Ipswich Grammar)  
     1    Page, Jorden  G  6-1  180  Jr.  Maroochydore, Queensland, Australia (AIS)  
     3    Young, Mitchell  F  6-9  235  Sr.  Logan, Queensland, Australia (AIS)
    Sagegrouse

How about Andrew Bogut (formerly with Bucks, now with Warriors)? He was NPOY in 2005, his sophomore year at Utah, and played in 2004 Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by rotogod00 View Post
    Thanks for the video. A lefty who can shoot from deep and finish with both hands. Looks good indeed.
    Reminds me of Tayshaun Prince.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    How about Andrew Bogut (formerly with Bucks, now with Warriors)? He was NPOY in 2005, his sophomore year at Utah, and played in 2004 Olympics.
    Yep. Bogut looked like a keeper. But he's had major injury problems for awhile. I wonder if he'll ever get back to where he was.

Yep. Bogut looked like a keeper. But he's had major injury problems for awhile. I wonder if he'll ever get back to where he was.
    Obviously, Longley has the 3 chips and is well known for playing on the Jordan/Pippen/Jackson Bulls.

BUT, Bogut is the only Aussie to ever make an All NBA team. Despite the injuries, his career scoring and rebound totals also outpace Longley. Combine that with his status as the #1 overall pick in the 2005 draft, his Wooden Award, his all Rookie team and the fact that he led the NBA in blocks as recently as 2011 makes me think he gets the nod over Longley.

Most significantly, he is behind one of my favorite foul line YouTube clips of all time. Who needs teammates?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc11PUnFgkQ

Elijah Thomas

Elijah Thomas, major 2015 PF out of Texas, has one of these USA Today blog things, and he posted today, very positive for Duke. He mentioned the schools that are recruiting him, then when he got to particulars, mentioned NC State first, then Duke, like so:

"I really like Duke too. Coach K was the first head coach that I talked to and they're definitely one of my favorites. I don't have any leaders, there's a long way to go I'm just enjoying it right now."

Link to the blog.

K and Wojo spent a lot of time watching this kid at the EYBL this past weekend, and he played very well. We should offer him right now.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Elijah Thomas, major 2015 PF out of Texas, has one of these USA Today blog things, and he posted today, very positive for Duke. He mentioned the schools that are recruiting him, then when he got to particulars, mentioned NC State first, then Duke, like so:

"I really like Duke too. Coach K was the first head coach that I talked to and they're definitely one of my favorites. I don't have any leaders, there's a long way to go I'm just enjoying it right now."

Link to the blog.

K and Wojo spent a lot of time watching this kid at the EYBL this past weekend, and he played very well. We should offer him right now.
    Yes, like what I hear about Thomas; sounds a bit like Elton Brand physically.

Also liked these comments in the blog entry Tommy linked:

My other big goal is to get to a 4.0 GPA. I've got a 3.8 right now so I'm really close. I want to be No. 1 in my class academically so I'm doing all of my extra credit assignments. I'm on a mission y'all!

Of course I want to be No. 1 in my class in the rankings too.

I'm just a competitive guy and people think I'm happy with being where I'm at, but if I'm not at the top then I'm not satisfied. I want to do everything that I can to be the best and then I won't worry about rankings. As long as I know, I'm OK with that.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

After another big weekend of AAU ball, Kansas has now offered Thomas. Kentucky has initiated contact as well, as has UNC. I'm telling you, we should offer this kid right now. Big body, skilled, good touch, doesn't want to be a point guard, works hard, cares about academics. We're going to need bigs in this class and this kid is only going to get better. Get the offer on the table early. Show him that kind of love.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

Do like the quotes, but I think he may need a pointer on math. If he's at a 3.8 GPA now and isn't taking classes that are worth more than 4 points on the GPA scale, then he can't get to a 4.0. And if he is able to take classes that are worth more than 4 points, then he certainly won't be #1 in his class academically (as there will almost certainly be folks with a GPA well above 4.0).

But at least he has the right spirit and dedication. That's very commendable.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Do like the quotes, but I think he may need a pointer on math. If he's at a 3.8 GPA now and isn't taking classes that are worth more than 4 points on the GPA scale, then he can't get to a 4.0. And if he is able to take classes that are worth more than 4 points, then he certainly won't be #1 in his class academically (as there will almost certainly be folks with a GPA well above 4.0).

But at least he has the right spirit and dedication. That's very commendable.
    If he's doing extra credit assignments to raise his GPA then we're wasting our time recruiting him since it sounds like he's already enrolled at UNC.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod Drain View Post
    If he's doing extra credit assignments to raise his GPA then we're wasting our time recruiting him since it sounds like he's already enrolled at UNC.

Bolded language distinguishes the situation from anything involving unc athletes with respect to "academics"

Steven Zimmerman

Steven Zimmerman, 7 footer out of Las Vegas, was very good when I saw him a few weeks ago, and has continued to impress thus far at the NBAPA camp in Charlottesville. He is exploding on everyone's recruiting radars. Now I just saw an interview with him right here, from Charlottesville, where he speaks very highly of Duke, and it's the only school he discusses in the piece. He's really early in his process, and is going to take his time for sure, but I really like the kinds of things he's saying about Duke and Coach K, and what is going to be important to him in his decisionmaking process. And his game is only going to get better as his body fills out. This 2015 class already has a number of very high quality bigs, and Duke is involved with several of them. Love it.

Steven Zimmerman, 7 footer out of Las Vegas, was very good when I saw him a few weeks ago, and has continued to impress thus far at the NBAPA camp in Charlottesville. He is exploding on everyone's recruiting radars. Now I just saw an interview with him right here, from Charlottesville, where he speaks very highly of Duke, and it's the only school he discusses in the piece. He's really early in his process, and is going to take his time for sure, but I really like the kinds of things he's saying about Duke and Coach K, and what is going to be important to him in his decisionmaking process. And his game is only going to get better as his body fills out. This 2015 class already has a number of very high quality bigs, and Duke is involved with several of them. Love it.
    duke after Robert's vertically blessed nephew - oh the times they are a changin'

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    duke after Robert's vertically blessed nephew - oh the times they are a changin'
    It's all over now, baby blue.

Duke has offered super stud small forward Ben Simmons, 6'8" 230 or so, a left handed do-it-all, consensus top-5 player in his class. He's the first offer we've made in the Class of 2015.

Duke has offered super stud small forward Ben Simmons, 6'8" 230 or so, a left handed do-it-all, consensus top-5 player in his class. He's the first offer we've made in the Class of 2015.
    This could be risky. I understand Coach K is trying to put together an entire team of players 6'8" tall, but isn't it possible/likely Simmons will add an inch or more in 2+ years?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    This could be risky. I understand Coach K is trying to put together an entire team of players 6'8" tall, but isn't it possible/likely Simmons will add an inch or more in 2+ years?
    Too late, ESPN already has him listed at 6'9".

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/ba...33/ben-simmons

Updated 2015 List

As I did in the 2014 thread, here is what I know as to an updated list of Duke targets in the 2015 Class. Of course, this list will change -- these kids are just rising juniors. Duke has shown more interest in some of these kids than others, and it's still real early in the process for just about all of them, so interest could wax or wane from either side going forward. And of course new names will be added as things move along. But for now, here goes:

Ben Simmons 6'9" 230, Australia. Duke's first offer in this class went to Simmons.
    Stephen Zimmerman, 6'11" 215, Las Vegas. Fast, fast riser on all the lists. Mad skills for a guy his size.
    Malik Newman 6'3" 175, Jackson, MS. #1 recruit in the class in the opinion of some.
    Elijah Thomas 6'9" 230, Rockwall, TX. Major talent w big body.
    Tyler Dorsey 6'4" 180, Bellflower, CA
    Skal Labissiere 6'10" 200, Memphis
    Ivan Rabb 6'9" 205, Oakland, CA
    Diamond Stone 6'10" 250, Milwaukee.
    Malachi Richardson 6'6" 190, New Jersey
    Carlton Bragg 6'9" 220, Cleveland

Geography 2014 and 2015

No,these are not new courses replacements at Chapel Hill. I was struck by not only the wide range of Duke recruiting for these classes but also except for one second tier prospect in 2014 not one of the 21 listed is from a state that is home to an ACC member present or future.