Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBrowns View Post
    My point is Ruth was the greatest athlete of the 20th century for not only his athletic achievements, but also his lasting cultural impact. He made baseball america's pastime, vaulting it over boxing and horse racing and because of him, MLB remained the #1 sport in the US for nearly 50 years after his death. Because of him, the Yankees are THE YANKEES. Jordan has Bird/Magic, ESPN, and Nike among others to thank for his accomplishments.

Look at it this way, if the roles were reversed, and Jordan's career took place in the 1910's - 1930's and Ruth's career from the 1980's - 2000's, would your argument still hold water? Internationally speaking, if Ruth had played in the modern age he would have been recognized on the same level as Ali, Tiger, and Lebron. Conversely, what would Jordan's impact have been internationally in the 1st half of the 20th century?

In the end, I would rank Ruth #1, Ali #2, Gretsky #3, Jordan #4, Jim Thorpe #5.
    It's apples and oranges, friend. Ruth might not have HAD a career from 1980s-2000s - not against modern athletes. Jordan would have dominated 1910s-1930s like nothing seen in the history of Planet Earth. But I know that's not what you're getting at.

Again, it's all an opinion. We can just agree to disagree, since I won't change your mind and you won't change mine.

And also once again, my ORIGINAL comment was a response to somebody suggesting that Ruth was far and away the greatest athlete of the 20th century, with Jordan not even coming close. And I just don't agree with that. Different times, folks.

And, again, let me state clearly that I detest Jordan.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Trivia: there are a handful of players on this list who graduated or otherwise ended their eligibility in 2012, but only one (of 400 listed players) who is still playing in college. Who is this active legend?
    Cool question. Without looking, I'm guessing that Davis of Kentucky and Lillard of Weber State are some of the guys who graduated, and Canaan of Murray State is the guy who's still around.

Canaan is correct... Hummel of Purdue is another guy on the list who graduated in 2012.

Smile

my question is, will unc hoist a banner at the smith center for this? my guess is, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke1988 View Post
    my question is, will unc hoist a banner at the smith center for this? my guess is, yes.
    They may have a couple of empty spaces in the rafters soon that will need filled anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    It's apples and oranges, friend. Ruth might not have HAD a career from 1980s-2000s - not against modern athletes. Jordan would have dominated 1910s-1930s like nothing seen in the history of Planet Earth. But I know that's not what you're getting at.

Again, it's all an opinion. We can just agree to disagree, since I won't change your mind and you won't change mine.

And also once again, my ORIGINAL comment was a response to somebody suggesting that Ruth was far and away the greatest athlete of the 20th century, with Jordan not even coming close. And I just don't agree with that. Different times, folks.

And, again, let me state clearly that I detest Jordan.
    Agreed and well said, I might add.

As a Blue Devil and Cleveland Cavalier fan since the days of Mark Price, I too detest "His Airness".

unc will hoist a banner when they take those others down...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

The designation of being ranked the top school in ESPN's 50 in 50 is worth about as much as a degree from unc in African American Studies.
    http://www.dukesportsblog.com/

Twitter: @MikeKlineDSB

Facebook: Duke Sports Blog

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    I don't know anybody under the age of 25 who cares about baseball AT ALL.
    Hi, I'm 23 and have been to MLB games in 21 different parks. Baseball is my favorite sport, as it is for a handful of my friends.

Basketball and baseball are two very different cultural entities. I would say it's pretty difficult to compare the two.