Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Redskins

2012 Redskins

I know in years past I've had some good discussion with Redskins fans on DBR so I figured I'd start a thread for this season. I'll start with a question: is there a Redskins message board that you recommend? I've been reading a little on thehogs.net but I really don't like to read a bunch of different sites so if you know of a good one I'd love to hear about it.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I know in years past I've had some good discussion with Redskins fans on DBR so I figured I'd start a thread for this season. I'll start with a question: is there a Redskins message board that you recommend? I've been reading a little on thehogs.net but I really don't like to read a bunch of different sites so if you know of a good one I'd love to hear about it.
    Try the site Hailredskins.com. The board is a lot like this one and is the one that I use. There are a lot of knowlegable Redskins fans and football fans in general. Anyways i hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by mr shadow 008 View Post
    Try the site Hailredskins.com. The board is a lot like this one and is the one that I use. There are a lot of knowlegable Redskins fans and football fans in general. Anyways i hope that helps.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out. The site I've been reading seems to have some pretty good fans (and some nice links to daily training camp reports) but I don't think the software they are using to drive it is equal to what we have here. I've gotten spoiled over the years because I do remember what DBR looked like 10+ years ago!

Now I have to find out if Brian Orakpo is OK!

I like hogshaven.com, extremeskins.com, and hailredskins.com.

I think Brian's going to be okay.

Clinton Portis to retire as a Redskin tomorrow. There is supposed to be a press conference tomorrow with Dan Snyder, but I'm not quite sure what time the press conference is. If I find anything out I'll post it here.

Quote Originally Posted by mr shadow 008 View Post
    Clinton Portis to retire as a Redskin tomorrow. There is supposed to be a press conference tomorrow with Dan Snyder, but I'm not quite sure what time the press conference is. If I find anything out I'll post it here.
    Clinton was a pretty good back and he certainly kept things interesting!

I've been thinking that the Redskins would be a better team than we were last year. Ater looking at our schedule, however, I think we could we be a better team but have a worse record than last year! Hope it doesn't work out that way.

Clinton was a pretty good back and he certainly kept things interesting!
    Clinton was one of the top 3 pass protection backs I've ever seen, including full backs. His reads were correct 90% of the time, and even when they weren't, he could often get to the free rusher in time. And when he blocked he DELIVERED the hit with relish. For that, I will always like and respect him.

I've been thinking that the Redskins would be a better team than we were last year. Ater looking at our schedule, however, I think we could we be a better team but have a worse record than last year! Hope it doesn't work out that way.
    I think they'll be a vastly improved team over last year. However, the o-line will kill them. I see a 6-10 season as reasonable for Robert Griffin III's rookie campaign. Hopefully, Bruce and Mike will find a suitable replacement for Jamaal Brown.

I can't believe the Skins cut Cooley. Some are saying it's a move to let him test the waters, since he doesn't have an agent, and then try to sign him cheaper. I hope he comes back. If not, I hope he signs with team that wins the Super Bowl this year and sticks it to the Skins.

Losing Sellars and Cooley in the same seaon just breaks my heart.

I'm a Redskins hater even though I have season tickets, but I loved Cooley. Sorry to see him go as he obviously is a fan favorite and was one of their most productive players for several seasons. He saved their bacon more times than not on third down. After that presser and the tears, it's unlikely he will be resigned. Can you imagine the emotional rollercoaster?

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    I can't believe the Skins cut Cooley. Some are saying it's a move to let him test the waters, since he doesn't have an agent, and then try to sign him cheaper. I hope he comes back. If not, I hope he signs with team that wins the Super Bowl this year and sticks it to the Skins.

Losing Sellars and Cooley in the same seaon just breaks my heart.
    I was pretty bummed to hear that Cooley was cut. I was trading posts with a 'friend of a friend' on Facebook yesterday and she claimed that her magazine had interviewed Cooley this week and that Chris asked out so he could try to find a starting spot elsewhere. It's going to be tough to see CC47 in another jersey.

I agree, BTW with your post about Portis' blocking. He really did a great job of protecting the QB.

Cooley was one of my favorite Redskins players over the past few years (along with Fletcher, who was #1). I understand that we cut him because he's not so healthy, getting older, and was getting paid too much, but it will be a shame to see him in any other uniform. He was a fan favorite because he tried so hard to reach out to us in the terrible years.

A good start

Although, I'm a 'fan', I'm also a realist. I expected the Saints to come out yesterday on fire. I figured the Redskins would put up a good fight, despite our rookie QB. Wow am I happy that I was wrong! What a great opening day win for RG3 and the Redskins. Really cool to see the team play so well on both sides of the ball. I suspect that our defense may be much improved this season just because they aren't on the field the whole time. Pretty impressed by RG3's performance. When he was under pressure, he didn't tuck and run like most rookie QB's. He moved around in the pocket, under control, looking downfield and found receivers. I'm looking forward to the Rams game next week!

Although, I'm a 'fan', I'm also a realist. I expected the Saints to come out yesterday on fire. I figured the Redskins would put up a good fight, despite our rookie QB. Wow am I happy that I was wrong! What a great opening day win for RG3 and the Redskins. Really cool to see the team play so well on both sides of the ball. I suspect that our defense may be much improved this season just because they aren't on the field the whole time. Pretty impressed by RG3's performance. When he was under pressure, he didn't tuck and run like most rookie QB's. He moved around in the pocket, under control, looking downfield and found receivers. I'm looking forward to the Rams game next week!
    I'm very happy with Sunday's result, but the next few games will tell me a lot more about he team. It's a lot easier to get up for the season opener in New Orleans than for a random game against St. Louis. The Redskins' biggest problem over the last five years hasn't been a lack of ability to get up for the tough teams, though that has crept up a time or two, but their inability to avoid playing DOWN to lesser opponents (not lesser than they, lesser empirically).

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    I'm very happy with Sunday's result, but the next few games will tell me a lot more about he team. It's a lot easier to get up for the season opener in New Orleans than for a random game against St. Louis. The Redskins' biggest problem over the last five years hasn't been a lack of ability to get up for the tough teams, though that has crept up a time or two, but their inability to avoid playing DOWN to lesser opponents (not lesser than they, lesser empirically).
    Wow did you call that one! I didn't get to see the game. My first impression was "cool we scored 28 points and RG3 had another good day". That was soon followed by "how did we give up 31 points to the Rams?".

Wow did you call that one! I didn't get to see the game. My first impression was "cool we scored 28 points and RG3 had another good day". That was soon followed by "how did we give up 31 points to the Rams?".
    As to that, there is some optimism about the Rams that we haven't had for a long time. The Rams actually had the edge on most of the important game statistics, and played better football than did the Skins. But for some questionable officiating, that edge would have been greater. There was the play in which Jackson can be seen with the ball over the goal line, but no TD was called and the Rams settled for 3. And there was the 3rd-and-long play in which RGIII was headed out of bounds, but still in bounds, when he was hit and a late hit penalty was called. The Redskins eventually got a TD on that possession (helped by another dubious personal foul called when Washington had been stopped on third down).

I don't usually grumble about officiating, but this group was really incompetent (and that's partly why I and many thousands of others have little voice left today).

Having said all that, RG III was impressive, more so running than passing.

Per ESPN, Brian Orakpo is out for the year with a torn pec. Terrible news for Skins fans, as well as for those of us who love his Geico commercial with the Scrabble.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Per ESPN, Brian Orakpo is out for the year with a torn pec. Terrible news for Skins fans, as well as for those of us who love his Geico commercial with the Scrabble.
    Carriker also ripped his quad off the bone.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    As to that, there is some optimism about the Rams that we haven't had for a long time. The Rams actually had the edge on most of the important game statistics, and played better football than did the Skins. But for some questionable officiating, that edge would have been greater. There was the play in which Jackson can be seen with the ball over the goal line, but no TD was called and the Rams settled for 3. And there was the 3rd-and-long play in which RGIII was headed out of bounds, but still in bounds, when he was hit and a late hit penalty was called. The Redskins eventually got a TD on that possession (helped by another dubious personal foul called when Washington had been stopped on third down).

I don't usually grumble about officiating, but this group was really incompetent (and that's partly why I and many thousands of others have little voice left today).

Having said all that, RG III was impressive, more so running than passing.
    As for the Jackson call, if the refs don't raise their hands and the clock is still running, you have to be smart enough not to spike it. Besides, that was a make up call for the 15 yarder Fisher should have gotten by rule the play before.

The Rams played dirtier football than the Redskins. As for better, I'd say it was pretty equal. Smart of them since the refs weren't calling it. Skins should have done the same. There were so many dirty shots on RGIII in that game, not to mention the completely egregious one on Fred Davis that was just embarrassing of the refs to miss that should have ended in points... we'll just call the other two make up calls.

The refs were terrible... for both teams. I could point out that the Rams's injured offensive line undressed at least one d-lineman on almost every dropback. If the Rams had had 150 yards in holding penalties, that stat line wouldn't have looked so great. If they hadn't held, the Skins would have had five more sacks and at least ten more hurries.

If Briscoe could catch, the Skins would have had another 60 yards and 7 points, which would have done a lot to even the stats.

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, well you know the drill... We can all complain about the reffing.

The skins played a passive defense, possibly because Carriker, Wilson, and Orakpo all got injured early on. That, more than anything else, killed their chance to win. With no pressure on Bradford, their weakness, the secondary, was exposed.

Basically, the Skins handed that game to the Rams. I give credit to the Rams for taking it, though. Sam Bradford is a heck of a QB when his jersey is sparkling clean and they play zone against him all game. He's also got the Skins' number. Just like I didn't judge the Skins by the Saints win, I wouldn't judge the Rams on beating the Skins. They've won 15 of their last 64, and four or five of those are against the Redskins. I'm not saying they aren't better, I'm just saying I need to see something more than a win against the team that 1/3 of your wins over the last half decade have come against.

And if you think RGIII was better running than passing, you weren't watching the same game I was. For a rookie, he was phenomenal again.

Of course, what do I know. I'm just a dumb old LB/FB.
    Last edited by bjornolf; 09-17-2012 at 09:06 PM.