• Win the N.L. East

4 14.81%
  • Win the N.L. Wildcard

13 48.15%
  • Not make the playoffs at all

10 37.04%

Atlanta Braves Postseason Poll

The 2007 Atlanta Braves will:

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    I want another option: "Will finish behind the suddenly surging Nats!!!" It would serve you smug Braves fans right if it were so.

And a pox on those of you saying the Nationals would challenge the record for most losses in a season! The Nats are on a pace to finish 74-88, ahead of four other NL squads. Given what they started with, and the devastating injuries they've suffered, I'm very proud of what they've accomplished to this point. Here's hoping they finish strong!
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    I want another option: "Will finish behind the suddenly surging Nats!!!" It would serve you smug Braves fans right if it were so.

And a pox on those of you saying the Nationals would challenge the record for most losses in a season! The Nats are on a pace to finish 74-88, ahead of four other NL squads. Given what they started with, and the devastating injuries they've suffered, I'm very proud of what they've accomplished to this point. Here's hoping they finish strong!
    I want another option as well. I am a Marlins fan so I don't care about Atlanta! How about that opion?

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    The 2007 Atlanta Braves will:
    "Underachieve" would have been an appropriate option!
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    "Underachieve" would have been an appropriate option!
    So would "Need to dump Bobby" because I think those two go together.

I love that there are a bunch of Braves fans on this board. My Braves claim to fame: during the national anthem, I stood on first base next to Ryan Klesko when he was playing for Richmond. And, yes, I was 10 or 11 at the time.

Anyway, the next 6 days might actually decide the outcome of the Braves season (or I may be exaggerating slightly). 3 games at Mets, 3 games at Philly. If they can demoralize the Mets at home (like they've done in the past) and put some distance between themselves and the Phillies, they might be able to keep it together for the rest of the season. On the other hand, if they wind up 7.5 games down and being passed by the Phils, then it might be close to end game - do the Braves come back mentally after losing when they're supposed to be the "best" lineup in the NL? From what I've heard (which might have been from another thread here), Teixeira has given Atlanta such a mental boost - both fans and players. People are starting to talk again like they did in the early 90's. I know my interest level has skyrocketed since the trades...

I have no idea how many of these next games are going to be on TV here in Durham (stupid TBS not showing any games anymore - I can't stand another re-run of Raymond!) Maybe I just need to drink more and catch them all at a bar. Devines anyone?

- Moose

Braves 7, Mets 3

Gah! All this Barry Bonds talk has me thinking about baseball - but in a very bad way...Not to be the only one posting here, but I seriously need to change my mood.

Game 1 - Braves 7, Mets 3;
    3.5 games back in the NL East
    1.5 games back in the Wild Card

Sweet game. Buddy Carlyle is 6-2 in his last 10 starts and Francoeur is batting over .300 again! What's the chance that Carlyle or James comes out as our third reliable starter?

Game 2 tonight on ESPN - another plus! ESPN talking about Bonds all night long - ugh.

- Moose

Welcome Moose! Always nice to find another Braves fan. In my opinion, Chuck James is our third starter in the playoffs barring a catastrophic breakdown or injury. Reliability? Well that's another issue altogether...

Talking Besides...

After all that San Francisco ballyhoo, the Giants did lose the game.

the braves will finish behind the Mets and Phil's in the east. Will not make the playoffs.

the braves could actually sweep the Mets this week and still be 2 loses back, which is about where the were at the all star break.

Game 2 - Braves 3, Mets 4;
    4.5 games back in the NL East
    1.5 games back in the Wild Card (but passed by Philly last night)

God, that was a hard game to watch. I felt just like EarlJam did ("I love Chipper Jones" thread). Smoltz put two on, a bullpen walk and hit later and it's all tied up. And then Soriano continues on his suckiness streak and gives up a homer to an over-the-hill Moises Alou. ARGH!

I do have to say Chipper and Teixeira looked good last night - I don't think I ever have seen a Braves first baseman dive so many times. Plus, the two out, three run rally to put it at 3-1 was VERY nice. Great baserunning by Johnson - I guess that's why you are taught to follow whatever the basecoach says.

Oh, and the fact that Andruw couldn't bat his way out of a wet paper bag. JUST POP IT UP! That's all he really had to do...sigh. And all this was happening while my housemates were clamoring "Why do you watch baseball? It's sooooo boring. I want to watch '300' on DVD! Whine, whine, whine!"

I may have added the whining part in there.

Well, only a half and hour until game #3. Does it count that Hudson's 4-1 in day games???

- Moose

Oh good lord. It almost happened again! Up by 4 in the 9th and we almost gave it away!

Game 3 - Braves 7, Mets 6;
    3.5 games back in the NL East
    1 game back in the Wild Card (for the time being)

The bullpen was supposed to be one of the stronger Atlanta has had in a while. Two games, two blowups. Thankfully, we pulled this last one out.

Back to back jacks from Chipper and Teixeira = sweet!

- Moose
    Last edited by Moose; 08-09-2007 at 08:39 PM.

Can Richmond save this bullpen?

I'm really not sure. I think one of the things that will save the bullpen is the pickup of Ron Mahay in the Teixeira deal. He's been pitching well recently. Add to him Peter Moylan, we have two really good setup men.

All of our closers seem like busts though. Let me tally off the list: Soriano (slump), Dotel (slump), Yates (inconsistent), Villarreal (walks and hits), Paranto (back to Richmond), Devine (confidence), Gonzalez (hurt). Wickman still is pitching okay, I guess - but he's not a Wagner, Gagne, or a Rivera.

The problem is that no one in the pen blows people away. Out of everyone I mentioned above, the only one who can is Joey Devine - but he's been bouncing back and forth from AAA for a few years now. Something in the back of my mind wants to say he was a NCSU grad.

I hate to say it, but I dream about the days when Smoltz was shutting people down from the pen. Someone needs to step up...soon.

- Moose