Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I think it would be interesting for USA Basketball to hire someone to be a full time coach, not just a summer gig like K has done. I am not saying the team would need coaching year-round, but this could be someone who could be a constant face of the USA program and could be doing scouting and "recruiting" of players into the program all the time.

I would think Doc, who has made noise about retiring from the Celtics for a while, could be a good choice, perhaps starting after the 2014 NBA season. Phil Jackson is another one who would make a lot of sense. Recently retired Jerry Sloan would be a good choice, though I doubt Deron Williams could be on the team if Sloan was the coach. We'd be crazy not to consider Popovich too.

There are some college names that could make sense as well, guys who are late in their careers and might welcome this as a way to slowly leave the game. Jim Boeheim is the most obvious of these. I suppose Jim Calhoun could be a consideration as well, though his rep for low ethics probably rules him out.

-Jason "I would toss out Bo Ryan, who I respect tremendously as a coach, but I don't think he is well-known enough for it to fly" Evans
    This system works in FIFA, but I don't think it will work with FIBA. The reason being that all football leagues respect the international game. They have weekends (and sometimes even weeks) during the season that are completely devoted to qualification / friendlies. In basketball, this doesn't exist - Stern doesn't respect the international game (he respects something that starts with 'm', ends with 'y', can is frequently abbreviated to '$'). Can you image Stern saying, "Okay...let's put the league off for a week in January and play friendlies with Spain and Argentina." Because of these qualifications / friendlies, a national coach frequently has a full-time job as a national coach. In international basketball, games are only played every 2 years. IMO, that doesn't warrant a full-time coach.

I feel that basketball still needs to be more international in order to place more resources to the international game. Football is obviously the golden standard for this model, but hockey is a model that basketball should follow.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    Heck, if the NBA really wanted to cash in on some of the international basketball money, they could make the All Star break a day or two longer and include one day of international games, since plenty of foreign players already play in the NBA.
    I love this idea with a small twist -- make the All-star game USA vs. The World Team. Sorta like how the NHL All-star game is NAmerica vs. The World. Kinda like the Ryder/President's Cup in golf.

The World team would feature--

PG- Tony Parker, Steve Nash
    SG- Manu Ginobli, Thabo Sefolosha
    SF- Luol Deng, Danilo Gallinari
    PF- Dirk Nowitzki, Tim Duncan, Pau Gasol, Al Horford
    C- Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

We could also expand the definition of International player so that Ben Gordon (born in England) and Kyrie Irving (born in Australia) could be on the International team.

I bet this would get fans to pay more attention to the All-star game too, as it would have some national pride involved. Frankly, I have never cared that much whether my conference won an All-star game.

-Jason "Internats loaded on the inside... " Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I love this idea with a small twist -- make the All-star game USA vs. The World Team. Sorta like how the NHL All-star game is NAmerica vs. The World. Kinda like the Ryder/President's Cup in golf.

We could also expand the definition of International player so that Ben Gordon (born in England) and Kyrie Irving (born in Australia) could be on the International team.

I bet this would get fans to pay more attention to the All-star game too, as it would have some national pride involved. Frankly, I have never cared that much whether my conference won an All-star game.

Two questions - 1) is Thabo Sefolosha really the second-best international shooting guard in the NBA? I can't think of any other of the top of my head, but that seems surprising. 2) wouldn't you want people who have already played, or may in the future play, for the US national team to be on the domestic squad, not the international squad? This would apply particularly to Duncan and Irving.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Duncan? I guess the US Virgin Islands does field a soccer squad (shades of England/Scotland/Wales).

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Two questions - 1) is Thabo Sefolosha really the second-best international shooting guard in the NBA? I can't think of any other of the top of my head, but that seems surprising. 2) wouldn't you want people who have already played, or may in the future play, for the US national team to be on the domestic squad, not the international squad? This would apply particularly to Duncan and Irving.
    Sefalosha is on the short list. Guys like Barbosa (combo guard) and Belinelli would be in the mix as well. Beyond that, you're getting into the swingmen like Delfino and Batum. But it's six of one, half dozen of the other. Honestly, there are very few foreign SG even in the league.

I didn't see this posted elsewhere, so I thought this would be an appropriate place to put it. I wonder how the additional of a 3-on-3 tournament would affect the team. I've seen it speculated that the 3-on-3 game could happen during 5-on-5 off days, so there may be opportunity for some players to participate in both.

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    I didn't see this posted elsewhere, so I thought this would be an appropriate place to put it. I wonder how the additional of a 3-on-3 tournament would affect the team. I've seen it speculated that the 3-on-3 game could happen during 5-on-5 off days, so there may be opportunity for some players to participate in both.
    Sorta like Singles and Doubles tennis.

What is the ideal 3-on-3 team? Does it include a big man who can post up one-on-one without much of a chance for help D (like Pau or Dwight)? Does it include a PG who can beat his man off the dribble (like Kyrie, Westbrook, or CP3)? Or, is it 3 "big wing" type players who can do a little bit of everything (like Lebron, Durant, and Melo)?

I am not sure. I was tempted to just say that the US team should be Lebron, Durant, and some other big wing, but the more I think about it, the more I think Kyrie or Westbrook, Lebron or Durant, and Dwight or KLove would be the best we could put on the court together. Hmmm.

--Jason "I like this idea as it gives us something new and unique to look forward to in Olympic basketball" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

3-on-3

This is really fun to think about. For 2016, I like Lebron, Durant and Kyrie. Lebron and Durant are (and should still be) the two best players in the world and showed how well they work together. My Duke-colored glasses tell me that Kyrie will be the best point guard around in 2016, and I would rather go "small" with a point guard than big with Dwight in a game of 3-on-3. Any team that tries to go big against these three would just be creating huge matchup problems for themselves. Lebron's ability to guard any position would give this team great flexibility game-to-game depending on the opponent. I would enjoy seeing these three guys play together.

If Kyrie stays healthy...

To me the best part of this is having a qualifying tourney where guys from the city can get their best players together and try to compete. There are legit three-on-three tourneys and who knows- maybe there are some folks who excel at that game who do not on the other level. It could be interesting.

If 3-on-3 actually happens, I would doubt that any of our guys would play both on the traditional 5-on-5 fullcourt team and also play 3-on-3. Maybe just for the novelty of it, but they might not want to take away from their focus on the main event, or to risk fatigue. (who knows what the format of 3-on-3 would be?). Maybe it would be the kind of thing where our top players who don't make the main team would then be in the mix for 3-on-3, though I guess it would only be fair that they have to qualify in some way even for that.

But if all players were possibilities for the 3-on-3, I'd take LeBron, Durant, and Love. LeBron and Durant can handle the ball well enough that it won't be stolen, and they can guard little guys well enough. And no little guy could dream of covering either of them. I like Love as the big guy because he excels rebounding, passing, and shooting, and he can defend big guys well enough. Howard would protect the bucket better, but I don't think any team of 3 international players in the world is going to make much hay trying to go to the hoop against a team made up of LeBron, Durant, and Love, and Love just brings much more of an diversified game to the table than does Howard, which is important when the floor is spread like it is in 3-on-3.

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    Is this a fill-in the blank contest?

he would be a top candidate for any USA basketball team.
    he will be one of the most beloved personalities in the league.
    he will be an All-Star in the next two years.
    he has the potential to be Duke's best NBA player.

Did I win?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    But if all players were possibilities for the 3-on-3, I'd take LeBron, Durant, and Love. LeBron and Durant can handle the ball well enough that it won't be stolen, and they can guard little guys well enough. And no little guy could dream of covering either of them. I like Love as the big guy because he excels rebounding, passing, and shooting, and he can defend big guys well enough. Howard would protect the bucket better, but I don't think any team of 3 international players in the world is going to make much hay trying to go to the hoop against a team made up of LeBron, Durant, and Love, and Love just brings much more of an diversified game to the table than does Howard, which is important when the floor is spread like it is in 3-on-3.
    Yeah, I think that the NBA teams might not like having their players going in competition for a week straight. What if the US took the entire "
    pool" of players that try out (possibly expanding the quantity in the pool) and the guys who don't make the 5-on-5 team by default get grouped into 3-on-3 squads? I don't know how this would work with qualifying, though.

Is this a fill-in the blank contest?

he has the potential to be Duke's best NBA player.

Did I win?
    Ha. Honestly, he might have actually earned this title, last season. While his defense was perhaps still not up to snuff, his efficiency rating was tops among Dukies. Considering that Duke doesn't currently have any other star two-way players in the league (Shane is of course a defensive wiz while Corey, Carlos, and Elton are clearly past their peak on the offensive and defensive ends and Gerald is still working on getting his offense to catch up with his defense), you could make the argument that Kyrie's offensive game was enough to vault him to the top of the list.

Ha. Honestly, he might have actually earned this title, last season. While his defense was perhaps still not up to snuff, his efficiency rating was tops among Dukies. Considering that Duke doesn't currently have any other star two-way players in the league (Shane is of course a defensive wiz while Corey, Carlos, and Elton are clearly past their peak on the offensive and defensive ends and Gerald is still working on getting his offense to catch up with his defense), you could make the argument that Kyrie's offensive game was enough to vault him to the top of the list.
    I agree that he's in the top 2-3 of current players. I meant that he could become Duke's best NBA player ever (surpassing Grant).

Here is some information on the current USA 3x3 teams preparing for the World Championships:
    http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/3x3/

That Women's team might be very interesting and fun to watch. Part of the appeal of 3 on 3 is that it lets a few smaller countries get into the act and compete a bit more.

Apparently there will not be any significant changes to international formats for the 2013-2016 cycle at this point. Without knowing anything about our coaching situation at this point, how do people think that we should approach the next couple tournaments? We benefited a lot from winning the 2010 World Championship because it gave us that automatic berth to the Olympics. I would hope that we put together a strong team for the 2014 World Championship where Spain will probably be determined to make a strong last stand at home with their current generation of players. Not winning would force us to then play in the 2015 FIBA Americas tournament, which I would assume would involve a nearly full strength team (like we did in 2007). Personally I would like us to play as strong of a team as possible in 2014, depending on which players are willing to play. We should invite all of the players who missed the Olympics due to injury at a minimum. Does anyone think we should play a select or younger squad for the FIBA Americas tournaments even if we don't need to play in them to qualify?

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    Here is some information on the current USA 3x3 teams preparing for the World Championships:
    http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/3x3/
    Does anyone think we should play a select or younger squad for the FIBA Americas tournaments even if we don't need to play in them to qualify?
    Yes! The U-17 and U-18 basketball championships are small cheese compared to the highest level of international basketball. The US U-18 is cobbled together at the last second, does a few practices, and then plays games. That is often the only international basketball experience many of our players will have before they are expected to win on a big stage. Playing in a tournament that means a lot more to the competition (it's a battle for Olympic qualification so even the "small" teams will be playing their hearts out to make it) will be a great way to give a much wider array of American players experience in international tournaments. Even if the team is a young C or C/D team, it's still worthwhile. The injury bug hit the senior team big, this year. Luckily, the core of the team remained intact with Lebron, Durant, Melo, Paul, Williams, etc. remaining healthy. However, if in the future the injury bug strikes again and takes away players who form the heart of the team, it would be nice to have the deepest pool possible. It would also give players who played bit roles on previous teams a chance to see if they can handle a starring role. If the FIBA Americas tournament were this year, it would be cool to see a team led by Harden and Davis along with a host of other players who are on the cusp of contributing to the full national team or who are projected to do so in the future. A healthy Aldridge, Irving, possibly Wall, Cousins, Monroe, etc. So some sort of Select Team, I guess.

Yes! The U-17 and U-18 basketball championships are small cheese compared to the highest level of international basketball. The US U-18 is cobbled together at the last second, does a few practices, and then plays games. That is often the only international basketball experience many of our players will have before they are expected to win on a big stage. Playing in a tournament that means a lot more to the competition (it's a battle for Olympic qualification so even the "small" teams will be playing their hearts out to make it) will be a great way to give a much wider array of American players experience in international tournaments. Even if the team is a young C or C/D team, it's still worthwhile. The injury bug hit the senior team big, this year. Luckily, the core of the team remained intact with Lebron, Durant, Melo, Paul, Williams, etc. remaining healthy. However, if in the future the injury bug strikes again and takes away players who form the heart of the team, it would be nice to have the deepest pool possible. It would also give players who played bit roles on previous teams a chance to see if they can handle a starring role. If the FIBA Americas tournament were this year, it would be cool to see a team led by Harden and Davis along with a host of other players who are on the cusp of contributing to the full national team or who are projected to do so in the future. A healthy Aldridge, Irving, possibly Wall, Cousins, Monroe, etc. So some sort of Select Team, I guess.
    Well, so much for that idea...

This article about the next FIBA Americas Tournament appears to confirm that we have dropped out. Honestly I think it would be good to play in these tournaments. I hope Paraguay enjoys their tournament instead.
    http://www.fibaamericas.com/en/notic...17C58E509C60F6

http://espn.go.com/olympics/basketba...ording-sources

Might have a familiar guy on the bench again.

Quote Originally Posted by sporthenry View Post
    http://espn.go.com/olympics/basketba...ording-sources

Might have a familiar guy on the bench again.
    How does everyone feel about this? I think the benefits outweigh the potentials pitfalls because he actually seems to get energized by these summers with the pros. Rather than burn him out, I feel like it might keep him going longer. Maybe he just wants another shot at coaching Kyrie.