Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

ESPN's Medcalf on Coach K's salary: "That’s Lil’ Wayne money."

I didn't see this posted anywhere yet so I figured I'd share.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...illion-in-2011

I thought this was an interesting article since there's been a lot of debate about athletes receiving compensation, but I think Medcalf's closing arguments are a bit off.

Interesting that Pitino made almost as much - 8.9 million compared to K's 9.7. Somehow I don't think we'll hear as many people complaining about that, but if you were to try to quantify a coach's value to a school, I'd have to think K's would be higher. Also note that over half of K's salary was incentive-based. If he'd had an NIT season like some other coaches we know, I wonder what his salary would have ended up being...

This topic already being discussed over at the "Coach K at Fort Lewis, WA" thread...

Pretty sure this is deserving of it's own thread.

My first thought was considering Duke is a private institution, the gentleman who release this informations better have had K's permission or he may be looking for a new job.

Overall, the article is crap IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertDevil View Post
    Pretty sure this is deserving of it's own thread.

My first thought was considering Duke is a private institution, the gentleman who release this informations better have had K's permission or he may be looking for a new job.

Overall, the article is crap IMHO.
    Had nothing to do with K giving permission...it's required for institutions to make certain information available for the top earners or earners above a certain amount....which is the case here...
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Had nothing to do with K giving permission...it's required for institutions to make certain information available for the top earners or earners above a certain amount....which is the case here...
    Right, for non-profit institutions, which Duke is.

Hmmm. I'm thinking that some of these college basketball beat reporters for ESPN ought to start giving back their own salaries if this is the argument. I mean, hey, they are making money off these kids every bit as much as the coaches, and moreover, aren't helping them in any way. So where's that moral outrage now?

This is ridiculous, it's like he's blaming Coach K for how screwed up the NCAA is. It's pathetic. On top of that, Duke players in the NBA are making more money than players from any other school. I'd say Coach K is helping our players maximize their earning potential by teaching them the values of work ethic, leadership, and fundamentals while they are under his tutelage. Sure, they don't make a dime while they are in school, but I think the lessons players learn from Coach K add a ton of value to their professional careers, and they end up making more money because of it. There goes all of my respect for both Eamonn Brennan and Medcalf.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Ah, didn't realize that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Perhaps you mean "private," as opposed to public?

Public schools answer to the State. Public companies answer to the investing public. Private institutions only answer to the stakeholders (in this case, I assume trustees).

Duke generates plenty of excess profit, but it does not distribute it to shareholders.

In any event, K generates more revenue and Blue Sky good will value than what he is paid. It is win-win for K and Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

In any event, K generates more revenue and Blue Sky good will value than what he is paid. It is win-win for K and Duke.
    Indeed; a man so identified with an institution that he's virtually the K in D-U-K-E.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Perhaps you mean "private," as opposed to public?

Public schools answer to the State. Public companies answer to the investing public. Private institutions only answer to the stakeholders (in this case, I assume trustees).

Duke generates plenty of excess profit, but it does not distribute it to shareholders.
    Not sure what you're objecting to. That Duke is a private institution is irrelevant to the discussion, as they are a registered not-for-profit and thus subject to certain disclosure laws, one of which involves the salaries compensation of top earning employees.
    Last edited by gus; 05-17-2013 at 09:18 AM. Reason: edited to reflect an important distinction.

Coach K makes $10 million?

Bargain.

I thought they said in the article that they obtained the salary information from tax records, which are public.

And the real outcry should be over the fact that Lil' Wayne makes $10 million. That guy is awful. People think Coach K is overpaid, yet dropping your pants and rapping about thug life is ok?

Agree Complately

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    Coach K makes $10 million?

Bargain.
    According to the LA Times USC paid Kevin O'Neill about $1.7 million. Coach K is worth at least 10 times KO (and I am being very generous to KO here.)
    So $17 million minimum.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/colleg...,2560590.story

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I thought they said in the article that they obtained the salary information from tax records, which are public.

And the real outcry should be over the fact that Lil' Wayne makes $10 million. That guy is awful. People think Coach K is overpaid, yet dropping your pants and rapping about thug life is ok?
    Lots of people find college basketball entertaining and lots of people find rap entertaining. There's money to be made in both. Ask anyone who doesn't follow sports about Coach K's salary and they'd probably say something similar to what you said about Mr. Carter. (except the whole dropping your pants thing, though I would say Coack K lives a pretty thug life)

His criteria compared to your career just isn't fair.

(I wonder if K appreciates Lil' Wayne's art more than you?)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    Coach K makes $10 million? Bargain.
    I don't understand why folks are "meat-peeping" on K's money.
    I'm sure he is competitively compensated as compared to other coaches with 4 National Championships

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    His criteria compared to your career just isn't fair.

Nailed it lol

Yes. The disclosure rules are about non-profits reporting compensation of top earners on their tax filings....the point is they are forced to put that information in their taxes, and it is not voluntary for K or the university.
    April 1