Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Indeed...or, he's trying to keep his enemies closer. In reality, I think Lebron, as many have said, is more Magic than Jordan in that he'd rather pass than score. In KD, he's got the ultimate offensive weapon, but, unlike Dwyane Wade, Durant is not gifted at getting his own shot. He really thrives in the catch and shoot and on the break. Plus, like Magic, he understands that for the team to maximize it's potential, KD needs to be scoring in bunches so he looks to make that happen. I think that's why K gushes over him so much, he is the best player in the world but is ultimately a guy who wants to win by lifting the level of everyone on the team. The difference between he and Kobe in that respect is incredible.
    Yeah, actually, it's pretty clear that Durant is a better fit alongside Lebron than is Wade. Durant is still plenty good at creating his own shot, so it's not like Lebron has to do everything to get KD a look. But man, KD's efficiency skyrockets when he's got someone taking as much defensive attention away from him as Lebron does. Melo, too (in fact, Melo has moved so well off the ball at times that you can see what would have happened if he and the Knicks had been willing to give the Lin experiment an honest test). I love Kobe's intensity and drive, but there is no doubt in my mind that Durant can easily fill the shooting guard role on the Olympic team. Iguodala looks better on defense than Kobe has, too. As crazy as it is to say, I could see Kobe filling the Jason Kidd role on this team. He starts and provides veteran experience and leadership. However, the crunch time minutes go to other guys.

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    I could see Kobe filling the Jason Kidd role on this team. He starts and provides veteran experience and leadership. However, the crunch time minutes go to other guys.
    I am with you 100%. The only kink in that plan is the last 5 minutes of the 2008 Gold Medal Game. When things were starting to fall apart, Kobe took over and carried Team USA across the finish line. That doesn't make a world of difference to me, but I feel like it would to K. If Team USA were in that situation again, I feel like K would want Kobe in there. My response to that? Pull out the tape of the 2010 Worlds gold medal game and the 2012 NBA Finals...Lebron and KD have it covered, Coach!

Tomorrow the United States faces Nigeria, which should be an interesting matchup. On paper, they should be a little bit stronger than Tunisia, but they have some interesting matchups with their height and length. Given the heavy ties and number of players born in the United States, it is almost like having a second American team in the Olympics. In years past, it was hard to get the strongest Nigerian team possible to all play at the same time, not just because of injuries or insurance issues like other national teams face, but also because of political issues, lack of funding, and downright poor organization. This is pretty much the best team that they have ever managed to assemble, and they probably could have won the African Championship with ease if they had a stronger team. On the other hand, their experience in the final Qualifying Tournament has helped prepare them for these Olympics. While Al-Farouq Aminu on the wing and Ike Diogu inside are the important scoring threats, their key player is Tony Skinn at the point. They really do not have adequate backup for him and will need him to do his best against the American three-headed point guard attack. The team may not have the skill level to match up with their counterparts, this is one of the few times where a team can match up at least credibly in terms of athleticism and size with the United States at the 2 through 4 positions. There are plenty of ACC and other ties for these players so you may remember a few from their college days in the not so distant past.

is the game being shown live right now? it's not on the NBC channel 640 on uverse like it was....anyone got a channel?
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    is the game being shown live right now? it's not on the NBC channel 640 on uverse like it was....anyone got a channel?
    Olympic Basketball Channel, which is 752 on DirecTV.

sage
    'This game isn't too exciting but the GBr-Spain match-up was riveting in the 4th quarter -- thanks mostly to the one-man show performed by our man Luol'

1st half vs Nigeria is a gas US up big.
    Interesting how no one has mentioned the lack of charges being taken/drawn so far in these Olympics

U.S. scores 49 points in the first quarter, which again is only 10 minutes long. Incredible. 11 of 14 from 3 in the quarter. U.S. 78, Nigeria 45 at half. Melo with 19 points, Kobe 16, Durant 14.

156-73. Holy crap.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    156-73. Holy crap.
    Looks like the US found their 3pt shot. I've said it here many a times - Melo is one of the most important players on this team. I know he probably won't mimic his performance here, but that was ridiculous. No player on Team USA has a better combination of size, rebounding ability, and 3pt shot. Those three make Melo so dangerous in international play.

Why doesn't he play PF in the NBA?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

That score is just ridiculous. Off the charts. How do you score 156 points in a 40 minute game?

This is what happens when the 3s are falling (29-for-46, 63%). Of course, we did fairly well shooting from 2 too (30-for-37, 81.1%). Lets put it this way, Rollie Massimino would have watched this game and said, "they sure shot well."

-Jason "Lebron only scored 6 points -- he sucks" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    That score is just ridiculous. Off the charts. How do you score 156 points in a 40 minute game?

This is what happens when the 3s are falling (29-for-46, 63%). Of course, we did fairly well shooting from 2 too (30-for-37, 81.1%). Lets put it this way, Rollie Massimino would have watched this game and said, "they sure shot well."

-Jason "Lebron only scored 6 points -- he sucks" Evans
    The other amazing thing about the score was the fact that Coach K called the dogs off (they played zone and walked the ball up the court in order to give the Nigerian players a chance to get up the floor first) towards the end of the 3rd quarter/beginning of the 4th quarter; and they still crushed Nigeria by 83 pts. I'm telling you....Team USA could've beet Nigeria by 100+ points if they wanted to by keeping the foot on the gas. That being said, kudos to K and the players for winning with class and respect for Nigeria.

It seemed the crowd was booing on a few possessions in the fourth quarter when the US was holding the ball. Geez, people don't even like stallball when we're winning by 80.

By the way, not sure if anyone noticed by Luol Deng almost led Great Britain to a monumental upset. They lost to Spain 79-78. Luol had 26 points, 9 boards, and 7 assists.

-Jason "it would be great if GB could win a game... they probably won't make the Olympics in basketball again for many years" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Anybody see Davis go to check in in the first half only to realize he didn't have his jersey on? The whole bench was cracking up, even Coach K.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    By the way, not sure if anyone noticed by Luol Deng almost led Great Britain to a monumental upset. They lost to Spain 79-78. Luol had 26 points, 9 boards, and 7 assists.

-Jason "it would be great if GB could win a game... they probably won't make the Olympics in basketball again for many years" Evans
    Why didn't they foul? *facepalm*

Quote Originally Posted by muzikfrk75 View Post
    Why didn't they foul? *facepalm*
    From the Great Book of Basketball Cliches, Chapter 4, Verse xxvii:

"Teams that aren't accustomed to winning find ways to lose."

1.88 points per shot... as a team... for the entire game. Think about that for a second. Even if you take away FTs, that's 1.77 points scored for every time we threw the ball at the rim today.

lol.

BTW, Tyson Chandler is such a Zoubek 2.0 it's not even funny. He's got the offensive-rebound-kicked-back-for-a-three-before-he-even-lands thing down pat.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    1.88 points per shot... as a team... for the entire game. Think about that for a second. Even if you take away FTs, that's 1.77 points scored for every time we threw the ball at the rim today.

lol.

BTW, Tyson Chandler is such a Zoubek 2.0 it's not even funny. He's got the offensive-rebound-kicked-back-for-a-three-before-he-even-lands thing down pat.
    To add to the craziness, Anthony scored his 37 points on 10 of 12 shooting in a grand total of 14 total minutes played... as a sub.... Somewhere Vinny the Microwave is smiling...

projecting 2016

I know this is waaaay early with games still being played this year, but here's an article projecting the possible 2016 roster for Team USA.

Spoiler alert: Kyrie Irving.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    I know this is waaaay early with games still being played this year, but here's an article projecting the possible 2016 roster for Team USA.

Spoiler alert: Kyrie Irving.
    Unless they enact that stupid age limit...