Maryland AD Anderson to Stanford?

The SF Chronicle is reporting it's down to salary. Kevin was a fundraiser there before his stint at Army.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    The SF Chronicle is reporting it's down to salary. Kevin was a fundraiser there before his stint at Army.

-jk
    Anderson denies any contact with Stanford, which probably means he'll be taking the job within 36 hours.

lives near a number of big white buildings
    And a whole bunch of Maryland fans/alums would say that would also reflect the low levels of honor and integrity he demonstrated in his brief term as MD AD. On the other hand, some would forgive him for inheriting a troubled situation which required drastic dismemberment, er, cutbacks to the MD athletic program.

I have no dog in that fight though from what I've read both Anderson and the new President took some ill-advised steps.

funny.

Isn't the AD position at Stanford basically a dream job? Let's compare UMD to Stanford:

Stanford: very well endowed and funded athletic department in a private school with a large local fan base that attracts a ridiculously diverse array of elite athletes in multiple disciplines in a beautiful city with great weather.

UMD: A public school with fans that like to throw batteries and water bottles who riot at the first hint of royal blue, in a dumpy city stuck between the city nicknamed "bodymore" and another built on a swamp.

Who was responsible for those football uniforms? It happened under Anderson's watch right -- that alone should give the people in Palo Alto pause.

I was surprised that Anderson would even be mentioned for the Stanford job.

Stanford has to be one of the very best AD jobs in the country, and it doesn't seem like they would need to look very far to find one better than Anderson.

Anderson's hire of Mark Turgeon appears to be outstanding, but Stanford already has a basketball coach! (Stanford athletics posted Johnny D hilights on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8_fb1zIVgI)

Anderson's hire of football coach, Randy Edsell, appears dreadful (2-10 overall, 1-7 in ACC with many players leaving the program http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...WIiW_blog.html).

Maryland continued to do well in the non-revenue sports that were good before Anderson arrived. Maryland just cut seven non-revenue sports. http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...x9V_story.html. It seems like a little creative scheduling and fundraising could have saved some sports. For example, it doesn't seem like much money would be required to have a men's tennis team if they scheduled schools that were nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    funny.

Isn't the AD position at Stanford basically a dream job? Let's compare UMD to Stanford:

Stanford: very well endowed and funded athletic department in a private school with a large local fan base that attracts a ridiculously diverse array of elite athletes in multiple disciplines in a beautiful city with great weather.

UMD: A public school with fans that like to throw batteries and water bottles who riot at the first hint of royal blue, in a dumpy city stuck between the city nicknamed "bodymore" and another built on a swamp.

Who was responsible for those football uniforms? It happened under Anderson's watch right -- that alone should give the people in Palo Alto pause.
    Actually Baltimore is nicknamed "Charm City". As much as I dislike the University of Maryland please don't drag Baltimore into it. Most of the city and its surrounding suburbs aren't nearly as bad as you might think after watching The Wire, and a lot of areas are quite nice. And I've never heard anyone here call it Bodymore or Murderland. Now, if I'm listening to someone from Dundalk, it might sound like Baldymore Merland but that's another story.

it's Ballmer.

Quote Originally Posted by toughbuff1 View Post
    Actually Baltimore is nicknamed "Charm City". As much as I dislike the University of Maryland please don't drag Baltimore into it. Most of the city and its surrounding suburbs aren't nearly as bad as you might think after watching The Wire, and a lot of areas are quite nice. And I've never heard anyone here call it Bodymore or Murderland. Now, if I'm listening to someone from Dundalk, it might sound like Baldymore Merland but that's another story.
    I was just joking around. the point is that the AD job at Stanford over the AD job at UMD seems like a complete and total no brainer to me.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeandMdFan View Post
    I was surprised that Anderson would even be mentioned for the Stanford job.

Stanford has to be one of the very best AD jobs in the country, and it doesn't seem like they would need to look very far to find one better than Anderson.

Anderson's hire of Mark Turgeon appears to be outstanding, but Stanford already has a basketball coach! (Stanford athletics posted Johnny D hilights on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8_fb1zIVgI)

Anderson's hire of football coach, Randy Edsell, appears dreadful (2-10 overall, 1-7 in ACC with many players leaving the program http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...WIiW_blog.html).

Maryland continued to do well in the non-revenue sports that were good before Anderson arrived. Maryland just cut seven non-revenue sports. http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...x9V_story.html. It seems like a little creative scheduling and fundraising could have saved some sports. For example, it doesn't seem like much money would be required to have a men's tennis team if they scheduled schools that were nearby.
    Don't forget that Anderson started out working as a fund-raiser in the Stanford Athletic Department, before heading east. He has roots (and connections) there.

Having grown up in that area, Stanford would be much more attractive to me as well, especially Stanford being so strong academically (and they seriously mean this) "the Harvard of the West," with a tremendous endowment, great metro-area fan (and recruiting) base, many celebrities connected to the school (start with Condi Rice and John Elway, Msrs. Hewlett and Packard, a few Presidents.... and go from there). But there ARE some arguments going the other way, to be fair, beginning with MD being the "bird in the hand" for Anderson. Terps are right now at the low end of the athletics cycle, which is largely blamed on Anderson's predecessor, so he has nowhere to go but up. MD is also in a strong Metro area for fan base and recruiting. And they have a great winning tradition in basketball (Stanford, not so much so), and probably better facillities there. Yes, Stanford FB has been "up" the last 2-3 years, but that was significantly attributable to a now-departed-to-the-NFL Head Coach, and QB. Also, I seem to recall reading that Stanford isn't known for paying the Coaches or investing in their athletic facillities with top-dollar money.

All that said, it sure is fun to watch those self-entitled Terps fans fretting and whining once again/still.