Page 54 of 65 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 1289
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Just stunning. This entire thing has largely destroyed my enjoyment of the "rivalry" which I find I cannot even type without putting it in quotes. I've never seen a bigger example of sticking ones head in the sand and trying to cover something up in sports history.
    I know this would never happen in a million years, but...

Imagine the next time UNC comes to Cameron. And image that ALL the students boycott the game, such that the student section is EMPTY for a national TV audience to see. Outside the stadium will be all the students who would otherwise be watching the game, but instead they are demonstrating for better institutional oversight, academic integrity, etc for ALL of college sports.

Unfortunately, that may hurt our team not to have the Crazies in the stadium, but other than that, I think it's a great idea, to help solidify that thought that a Universities mission is first to academics. Athletics is merely one part of a secondary mission of a university towards creating and nurturing a well rounded student body with diverse interests and talents.

New cheer....Don't bogart that ball, my friend, pass it over to me...

Easy Rider...long ago and far away...

Quote Originally Posted by neuro View Post
    ... Imagine the next time UNC comes to Cameron. And image that ALL the students boycott the game, such that the student section is EMPTY for a national TV audience to see. ...
    I imagine it would SOUND much like a game at the Dean Dome.

No wait, you said only the students boycott. The upper deck would still be full? No, that would still be much louder than the Dean Dome.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    Can it now be said the the oft repeated cheer, "Go to he11, Carolina," has now changed to, "Gone to he11, Carolina?"
    If this is a motion to change the cheer, I second it.

piling on

scathing editorial in the Washington Times about the UNC scandal and the bigger scandal of the NCAA's failure to act:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-speak/?page=1

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    scathing editorial in the Washington Times about the UNC scandal and the bigger scandal of the NCAA's failure to act:

It seems fairly well established that the Chairman of unc's AFAM studies, Julius Nyang’oro, made no-show classes available to unc athletes and gave grades that they didn't earn to circumvent the hassle of academic eligibilty. AFAM was a popular major for unc basketball players, and even more players took classes in the department.

Given his willingness to give unc athletes grades they didn't earn, wonder what we would find if we examined his grading habits with respect to athletes in his "regular" courses? Beauty is, his program was so chock full of athletes, it would be possible to conduct a relevant statistical analysis: how did athletes do in Nyang’oro's classes v non-athletes compared to how those athletes did in all other classes v non-athletes?

For those of you who may not read the "PJ Hairston Busted" thread, this is really too good to miss and worth posting twice:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...ail&FORM=VIRE2

Well, they do mention the academic scandal, too. On numerous occasions. So this keeps it on topic.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Hitler/Hairston video

That is the funniest I have ever seen. I wonder who comes up with these ideas. Duke probably found a marketing firm to do this for them! This is the best my friend. Nice day, Jimmy

athletic-academic scandal

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post

I agree that this ed is scathing. IMO, though, the author makes one major, fundamental error when he asserts: "That the scandal is academic and not athletic is irrelevant." From the beginning, the UNC athletic folks, including especially Roy, have insisted that this is an academic, not athletic, scandal. To defenders of UNC's athletic program, this distinction is crucial; it is the absolute last refuge of the scandal scoundrels. The author of the ed may well be correct that any distinction between athletic and academic is or should be here irrelevant. But it is a big mistake - not to mention inaccurate - to claim/concede/insist that this scandal is an academic-but-not-athletic scandal.

It's both. The key link - and the proof that this operation was not simply a rogue prof - has always been that the "counselors" assigned to work with student-athletes, but especially with "student"-athletes, were steering them into ghost courses, and into some real courses but with ghost graders and ghost forgers. These were athletic-linked counselors, whose corruption was finally, and quietly, acknowledged - but far too little noticed and remarked upon - when the athletic-counselor subset of the more legitimate academic counseling program was transferred out of the athletic department and back into the actual academic counseling bailiwick.

There has been a debate upthread recently about how angry UNC faculty (and others who value the reputation of a formerly and still possibly excellent public university) are about the scandal. Plenty of UNC faculty know that this is not merely an academic scandal. But they also know that this mostly-athletic scandal is - drip by drip - continuing to besmirch the academic reputation of UNC and its many constituencies.

UNC has historically and until recently been a wonderful university, in so many ways. That this athletic mess, abetted by the rogue prof, is making UNC the butt of academic jokes - way beyond EK or NCSt boards - is galling to those who love the university for more than its athletic successes.

they may be the butt of a few jokes, but nothing is going to come of this...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    I suspect you're right, if "nothing" refers to any sort of penalties imposed on any UNC athletic team. But the odds of such action are even slimmer if the false distinction between athletic and academic is maintained.

Moreover, I myself am interested in more than potential penalties. Nor do I care mostly about the jokes, however justified, appropriate, and clever. I continue to follow the story - drip by drip - to see whether at any point any of several important UNC constituencies will publicly insist on a real, as opposed to fictitious ["only an academic scandal"], accounting as an essential step toward restoring the university's fine reputation.

It may be that nothing will come of that, either. Which would be much worse than, say, Roy & co. skating free.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    Maybe what will come of it is nothing pinned on UNC but some sort of collective guilt for the ACC boasting of the academic standards of its members while this goes on?

SI.com has an article that grades how schools that changed conference affiliations have fared and has this nugget on the Louisville switch to the ACC

The ACC lost a middling athletic program (Maryland) and replaced it with a program featuring an old-guard elite men's basketball team and on-the-rise teams in nearly every other sport. ACC members will have to dispense with their trademark academic snobbery now that they've chosen a school for purely athletic reasons, but they were going to have to dial that back anyway in the wake of North Carolina's academic scandal.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col.../?sct=uk_wr_a1

Louisville and others

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Duke View Post
    Maybe what will come of it is nothing pinned on UNC but some sort of collective guilt for the ACC boasting of the academic standards of its members while this goes on?

SI.com has an article that grades how schools that changed conference affiliations have fared and has this nugget on the Louisville switch to the ACC

The ACC lost a middling athletic program (Maryland) and replaced it with a program featuring an old-guard elite men's basketball team and on-the-rise teams in nearly every other sport. ACC members will have to dispense with their trademark academic snobbery now that they've chosen a school for purely athletic reasons, but they were going to have to dial that back anyway in the wake of North Carolina's academic scandal.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col.../?sct=uk_wr_a1
    I agree, and when this happened had a lot of questions here. As well as Syracuse, and what JB seeks in his players. BTW these 2 schools do not even touch Marylands poor academic record either which left. Academically we brought in 2 losers in Louisville and Syracuse. That is the problem the ACC has to deal with. A good point my friend. I am very upset at this move, it was about athletics, not academics IMO. Have nice day, Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by neuro View Post
    I know this would never happen in a million years, but...

Imagine the next time UNC comes to Cameron. And image that ALL the students boycott the game, such that the student section is EMPTY for a national TV audience to see. Outside the stadium will be all the students who would otherwise be watching the game, but instead they are demonstrating for better institutional oversight, academic integrity, etc for ALL of college sports.

Unfortunately, that may hurt our team not to have the Crazies in the stadium, but other than that, I think it's a great idea, to help solidify that thought that a Universities mission is first to academics. Athletics is merely one part of a secondary mission of a university towards creating and nurturing a well rounded student body with diverse interests and talents.
    What should happen for any Tarheel road game, but especially any played in Durham or Raleigh is a non-stop chant of "Cheaters" whenever Carolina has possession of the ball.

Though, you can mix it up...and do a few different cheater cheers...

Split-stadium - one side "Cheat" other side "Ters"
    Slow and steady - Cheeeeeat - teeeers
    With clapping - Cheaters - clap, clap, clap - Cheaters - clap, clap, clap
    ...I'm sure y'all can come up with many more.

Just imagine if the Dukies did nothing but chant cheaters at the Tarheels for an entire game when the Heels had the ball...now that would get some attention on the subject wouldn't it?

Still a fan of "Go to class, Carolina, go to class" .

Or how about "The Carolina Way is a free degree in May"?

Or change the "boink" to "cheat"... "Cheat, cheat, cheat, PASS!"

Quote Originally Posted by toooskies View Post

Or change the "boink" to "cheat"... "Cheat, cheat, cheat, PASS!"

This.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    ... That this athletic mess, abetted by the rogue prof, is making UNC the butt of academic jokes - way beyond EK or NCSt boards - is galling to those who love the university for more than its athletic successes.
    Both of them?

Quote Originally Posted by toooskies View Post
    Still a fan of "Go to class, Carolina, go to class" . ...
    "If you can't go to class, go to carolina"

I was hoping to see a fog machine by the UNC bench.
    That would make a Cheech and Chong-esque visual every time they were in the huddle for a timeout.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    Can it now be said the the oft repeated cheer, "Go to he11, Carolina," has now changed to, "Gone to he11, Carolina?"
    At the risk of repeating myself, I still vote for Jarhead's idea.

It can be changed to one side of Cameron chanting "Go to he11, Carolina", and then the other side chanting "They've gone".

Talking Gone to .....

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    At the risk of repeating myself, I still vote for Jarhead's idea.

It can be changed to one side of Cameron chanting "Go to he11, Carolina", and then the other side chanting "They've gone".

I'm not sure that they've gone to hell, but they have gone to pot!