Page 51 of 65 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1289
    According to this
    http://sacscoc.org/2012%20December%2...pel%20Hill.pdf

The sanctions they potential face are:

What will happen in June 2013? The SACSCOC Board of Trustees will consider the accreditation status of the
    University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill following review of a First Monitoring Report submitted by the institution
    addressing the standards cited above, and the report of a Special Committee that will visit the institution in spring
    2013. The Board will have the following options: (1) accept the report with no additional monitoring; (2) request an
    additional Monitoring Report; (3) place the institution on a sanction, with or without the authorization of another
    Special Committee; and (4) remove the institution from membership with the Commission on Colleges.
    Commission staff will not speculate on what decision might be made by the Board of Trustees in June 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    It's a sad day when a rumor from one "tweater" that an inappropriate chant was uttered by the Cameron Crazies gets more media attention than a full blown, evidenced backed academic/atheletic scandle does at UNC.
    Agreed. UNC would stoop to any level to protect their roundball program and they have a complicit media that wil turn a blind eye to their atrocities. They (media) doesn't even have the guts to call them out on that ridiculous phony baloney plastic banana 1924 "National Championship" banner they have hanging up with all the rest. If Duke tried this they'd laugh them out of the ACC. Anyone ever research the history of those Helms awards? How embarrassing. Up until Duke won it's third NCAA title that banner read : Helms Trophy 1924. Then just like magic it became a national title. To my knowledge not...one...person in the media has ever asked them what changed. Not one.
    Last edited by blueduke59; 02-13-2013 at 03:58 PM.

SACS is a four letter word

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    According to this

What will happen in June 2013? The SACSCOC Board of Trustees will consider the accreditation status of the
    University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill following review of a First Monitoring Report submitted by the institution
    addressing the standards cited above, and the report of a Special Committee that will visit the institution in spring
    2013. The Board will have the following options: (1) accept the report with no additional monitoring; (2) request an
    additional Monitoring Report; (3) place the institution on a sanction, with or without the authorization of another
    Special Committee; and (4) remove the institution from membership with the Commission on Colleges.
    Commission staff will not speculate on what decision might be made by the Board of Trustees in June 2013.
    So, I work at a college in North Carolina. I just took on a new position, and while I didn't realize this when I was just teaching, now that I have administrative duties, I have found that all of the higher-ups, from the President to the Deans, are absolutely terrified of SACS.

We have our visit (every so many years, five or ten I think, every college gets a full SACS review/inspection) coming up next year, and in the past two months alone, we have instituted seemingly dozens of minor corrective policies - many simply precautionary, such as adjusting how many sections in our department are taught by adjunct faculty, so as to present a favorable ratio. It's all part of an in-house cleansing (of what was already a fairly clean house). Some have made our jobs considerably more difficult, but no one says peep, for SACS is like the eye of Sauron; it sees all. If we found something as severe as the AA program issues here, I think we would just collectively sigh, close down the college, and start over, for fear of what they could potentially do to us.

Honestly, I don't know if the fear is justified, but I have yet to encounter anyone at my level or above who isn't already anxious about the review. But I get the feeling that they have more power than the NCAA in this instance, at least in the sense that SACS is genuinely concerned with how a school is run, or at least it purports itself to be.

Quote Originally Posted by blueduke59 View Post
    Agreed. UNC would stoop to any level to protect their roundball program and they have a complicit media that wil turn a blind eye to their atrocities. They (media) doesn't even have the guts to call them out on that ridiculous phony baloney plastic banana 1924 "National Championship" banner they have hanging up with all the rest. If Duke tried this they'd laugh them out of the ACC. Anyone ever research the history of those Helms awards? How embarrassing. Up until Duke won it's third NCAA title that banner read : Helms Trophy 1924. Then just like magic it became a national title. To my knowledge not...one...person in the media has ever asked them what changed. Not one.
    I think Featherston has asked. Don't think he got much of an answer, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    According to this

There is a lot ofhistory with SACS. I didn't see the backgorund on the Web site, but UNC and Trinity College, I believe, were founding members back in 1912. Neither university went through a self-study until the 1960's. I know 'cuz I played a small role on the Duke self-study in 1965.

Putting sanctions on a founding member like UNC would be a really big deal -- and, to me, a HUGE susrprise.

sagegrouse

One interesting angle with SACS is that UNC is unwilling to do anything about the fake classes and the NCAA has said they want no part of ruling whether a class is hard enough, could they just be waiting for an organization like SACS to come in and say, "These classes are fake, toss 'em out and get these students back in here to retake them". At that point the NCAA has the accrediting agency ruling they are invalid and the green light for sanctions.

Someone guide me here?

My friends,

I saw this about UNC myself. And it did not ever dawn upon me. They recently ranked best public!
    The NCAA guidelines show they graduate 100 percent of their players, at 4 years. As does UVA, Wake Forest and Duke, except the past 2 years we had one and done. So we are at 90 percent.
    After I retired I have time to fly fish and drink a nice scotch malt!
    When I saw this, I did some research, and was shocked.
    Not many academic institutions, are doing their job.
    Even in our own ACC, but Maryland former coach is gone. Calhoun was guided out as well from U. Conn.
    The 4 year graduation rate at Maryland was 26 percent!
    U Conn was 36 percent! We are bringing in Syracuse, which has a dismal 44 percent graduation rate at 4 years for a basketball/baseball/or football.
    And for the past 2 years, Syracuse has had players with serious, academic issues!
    That is dismal IMO. That means 6 out of 10 get no degree! Or decent jobs!
    I was shocked, especially after the Fab Five BS, that Michigan is graduating their players at 44 percent! Recent data still!
    After the big hit from the fab five many years ago. The poor rate is still there.
    I have a question to you all. Is there a certain time frame, an athlete can stay/play at a school and graduate?
    Is it 5-6 years? Is there a set limit?
    Do your feel the NCAA is doing a good job? For the students?
    And, do you all have concerns about the new ACC? With Syracuse and Louisville? Coming in?
    I have many friends from UNC, Michigan and many other fine schools, that do not represent the athlete problem I see.

Nice day my friends
    Jimmy

Much Ado about NADA!!!!!!!

"One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

This actually could be a big deal. If Julius Nyang’oro and Debbie Crowder get indicted then the truth will start coming out because they will need that truth to present their defense. Both of them have refused to speak to NCAA and Martin Report investigators. Hearing from them could shed a lot of light on what really happened here.

-Jason
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Does deep rhythmic breathing (indicative of a peaceful nap) in unison from thousands of people qualify as a "chant?"
    It's not totally peaceful, because of the occasional clinking of wine glasses and cheese forks being dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    It's not totally peaceful, because of the occasional clinking of wine glasses and cheese forks being dropped.
    Briefly on the front page this morning there was an article up about the potential remodeling of the Dean dome from the News & Observer. (Taken down, I suppose, as being deemed inappropriate for a Duke site.)

It mentioned luxury boxes, improved concession areas (improved selection of wine & cheese?), etc.

It did not mention: study halls or a scholastic hall-of-fame room.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Briefly on the front page this morning there was an article up about the potential remodeling of the Dean dome from the News & Observer. (Taken down, I suppose, as being deemed inappropriate for a Duke site.)

It mentioned luxury boxes, improved concession areas (improved selection of wine & cheese?), etc.

It did not mention: study halls or a scholastic hall-of-fame room.
    DBR has the link still up - it's in the ACC roundup.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    So, I work at a college in North Carolina. I just took on a new position, and while I didn't realize this when I was just teaching, now that I have administrative duties, I have found that all of the higher-ups, from the President to the Deans, are absolutely terrified of SACS.

We have our visit (every so many years, five or ten I think, every college gets a full SACS review/inspection) coming up next year, and in the past two months alone, we have instituted seemingly dozens of minor corrective policies - many simply precautionary, such as adjusting how many sections in our department are taught by adjunct faculty, so as to present a favorable ratio. It's all part of an in-house cleansing (of what was already a fairly clean house). Some have made our jobs considerably more difficult, but no one says peep, for SACS is like the eye of Sauron; it sees all. If we found something as severe as the AA program issues here, I think we would just collectively sigh, close down the college, and start over, for fear of what they could potentially do to us.

Honestly, I don't know if the fear is justified, but I have yet to encounter anyone at my level or above who isn't already anxious about the review. But I get the feeling that they have more power than the NCAA in this instance, at least in the sense that SACS is genuinely concerned with how a school is run, or at least it purports itself to be.
    If there is fear of the SACS it has to do with accreditation. Most potential employers require a new hire to have a degree from an accredited college or university. Likewise for graduate schools, etc. That makes it simple. A college must protect its accreditation, or its graduates cannot get jobs. That's what the SACS does. It grants accreditation to colleges and universities. Here's a list of the accrediting agencies nationwide.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/02/...ng-on-its.html

CHAPEL HILL — "Surprise inspections have been taking place across the UNC-Chapel Hill campus in recent days as administrators seek to prove that students and faculty are, indeed, meeting for their scheduled classes."

Quote Originally Posted by hudlow View Post

CHAPEL HILL — "Surprise inspections have been taking place across the UNC-Chapel Hill campus in recent days as administrators seek to prove that students and faculty are, indeed, meeting for their scheduled classes."

When I first saw the headline, I thought it was from The Onion.

BEMwJlwCQAArG4X.jpg

From Joe Ovies on Twitter;

Quote Originally Posted by hudlow View Post

Lew Margolis, a faculty member in public health, wrote in his blog that many faculty were perturbed that the academic operation was under such scrutiny for what many perceive to be an athletics scandal.

“I do not believe that any of these credit-hour monitoring proposals would have seen the light of day had there not been exasperation about the disconnect between big time college sports and the mission of universities,” he wrote. “There may be more than one reason to create a fake class, but at the very top of the list, with a large gap between number one and number two, is the need to keep revenue-generating athletes eligible. I don’t think that we fake classes in musicology or modern European history or molecular chemistry, because faculty across the galaxy of universities hold one another accountable.”
    If they would just admit that this was done to help athletes, they could probably put the academic side of the scandal behind them. Instead, by insisting it is an academic, not athletic, problem they endanger their credibility as an institution of higher learning.

-Jason "I bet the UNC powers that be never anticipated the way this thing would evolve away from athletics" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    If they would just admit that this was done to help athletes, they could probably put the academic side of the scandal behind them. Instead, by insisting it is an academic, not athletic, problem they endanger their credibility as an institution of higher learning.

-Jason "I bet the UNC powers that be never anticipated the way this thing would evolve away from athletics" Evans
    This seems like an exercise in whitewashing. They send out administrators to the broad spectrum of UNC classes and come back with: "See, 99+% of our classes actually meet with real instructors!" Great, wonderful, but even in the heyday of the AFAM no-show/no-work years at UNC, 99+% of UNC's courses were probably meeting with instructors as scheduled, just fine. The problem is that one particular department had a relationship with the academic support staff to steer athletes toward the fake courses and keep them eligible with fake grades. What UNC is doing now is just for show. There never was a problem with BioChem 350, and no one ever said there was. So, proving that BioChem 350 meets and has a real instructor is completely beside the point.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    This seems like an exercise in whitewashing. They send out administrators to the broad spectrum of UNC classes and come back with: "See, 99+% of our classes actually meet with real instructors!" Great, wonderful, but even in the heyday of the AFAM no-show/no-work years at UNC, 99+% of UNC's courses were probably meeting with instructors as scheduled, just fine. The problem is that one particular department had a relationship with the academic support staff to steer athletes toward the fake courses and keep them eligible with fake grades. What UNC is doing now is just for show. There never was a problem with BioChem 350, and no one ever said there was. So, proving that BioChem 350 meets and has a real instructor is completely beside the point.
    You are so right. For an institution that prides itself on 'superior' academics, they sure are looking pretty dumb. The other side to this could be that they know that this is a stupid exercise, but they believe everyone else in the world is dumb enough to buy it.

Either way, they are not looking good both in the original sin and the "attempt" at redemption.

It would be so much easier to just admit they had a problem and move on... geesh, why does this always happen? The cover up is usually much worse than the offense...

I, for one, am quite amused to see them continue to throw up all over themselves.

Or maybe a bit like Monty Python's Upper Class Twit of the Year competition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSqkdcT25ss

It's really a pass-the-popcorn time for fans of the Blue Devils and Wolfpack.