Page 50 of 65 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1289
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Jay Smith is a UNC history professor and former associate dean for undergraduate curricula. He wasn't happy with the Martin report.

LINK

"In truth, Martin’s conclusions rest on disappointingly incomplete data and show a surprising bias..."
    Excellent article. Thanks for the link.

My favorite quote:
    One might well conclude that Martin ventured his own speculations and leaned on the testimony that supported them because he wanted to avoid at all costs the explanation staring him in the face: Independent studies and “paper” courses were created, and made available to many non-athletes, for the purpose of helping athletes boost their GPAs under the guise of participation in a legitimate curriculum.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Jay Smith is a UNC history professor and former associate dean for undergraduate curricula. He wasn't happy with the Martin report.

LINK

"In truth, Martin’s conclusions rest on disappointingly incomplete data and show a surprising bias..."
    Must read article. It just eviscerates the Martin Report. Among the highlights (or lowlights, depending on your view of how a University should behave toward its student-athletes):

Martin relies heavily on the testimony of athletics and other officials who had interests to protect. He ignores many key issues and makes questionable assertions on the basis of little or no evidence. The arguments are often weak or unsupported.

His only interest, it seems, is to exonerate athletics personnel from responsibility for any academic shenanigans
    One might well conclude that Martin ventured his own speculations and leaned on the testimony that supported them because he wanted to avoid at all costs the explanation staring him in the face: Independent studies and “paper” courses were created, and made available to many non-athletes, for the purpose of helping athletes boost their GPAs under the guise of participation in a legitimate curriculum.

Martin says he was “unable to discern a clear motive” for fraud. Some would say that he was unwilling to acknowledge the most obvious one.
    -Jason "it will be really interesting to see what comes next... and if the NCAA says it sees no reason to respond to any of this" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Can't wait for the Raleigh N&O response and more work from the Wolfpack to discredit this report.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

The NC governor-elect is not too happy about the Martin report:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/12/...ow-follow.html
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

In the interest of fairness, perhaps we should have a former governor of Kentucky to issue his own report and investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    In the interest of fairness, perhaps we should have a former governor of Kentucky to issue his own report and investigation.
    How about keeping politicians out of it all together?? I mean, a politician is last person I would want to conduct any type of ethical audit.

Are there no idependant auditing firms out there that could have done this job?

Oh, wait a minute I forgot what the agenda was, never mind...

This is going no where, never was. BUT at least it is a very public stain on the self proclaimed rightousness of UNC, and I am good with that if that is all we can get.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Must read article. It just eviscerates the Martin Report. Among the highlights (or lowlights, depending on your view of how a University should behave toward its student-athletes):

-Jason "it will be really interesting to see what comes next... and if the NCAA says it sees no reason to respond to any of this" Evans
    If I were to bet, I'd bet that the NCAA will see "nothing".

Quote Originally Posted by dukeofcalabash View Post
    If I were to bet, I'd bet that the NCAA will see "nothing".
    I'll double down on that...

lives near a number of big white buildings

citizen or watchdog litigation???

I have been wondering what if any lawsuits regarding the original scandal and its coverup might be possible to promote action. Problems of standing, remedies pursued, etc. though. Fraud, failure of public employees to carry out responsiblities...hmmmm.

Thoughts anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by SmartDevil View Post
    I have been wondering what if any lawsuits regarding the original scandal and its coverup might be possible to promote action. ... failure of public employees to carry out responsiblities... ...
    In Detroit that is referred to as ordinary standard of care ...

Another interesting read from the N & O

Probably not all that surprising to anyone that has been following this but, the N & O has found some more problems with the Martin...er...report.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/12/...in-report.html

Not all UNC's governing board for public universities are OK with Martin Report

There are definitely some heavy hitters in Chapel Hill who don't believe that the group led by ex-Gov. Jim Martin did a credible job of investigating the academic-athletic fraud scandal:

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/02/disb...ademic-scandal

Said former State Supreme Court Chief Justice Burley Mitchell: "It was inconceivable that it was two people who did this. You have 172 fake classes. Forty-five percent of the students in there are athletes. That is way disproportionate for their number on campus, which was less than five percent who are athletes. Somehow they are being directed to those courses," Mitchell said. "There is, to my mind, a good deal of evidence that throughout this campus there were a large number of people, particularly in athletics, who knew that these courses did not amount to anything."

Not everybody swallows the Kool-Aid.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    There are definitely some heavy hitters in Chapel Hill who don't believe that the group led by ex-Gov. Jim Martin did a credible job of investigating the academic-athletic fraud scandal:

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/02/disb...ademic-scandal

Said former State Supreme Court Chief Justice Burley Mitchell: "It was inconceivable that it was two people who did this. You have 172 fake classes. Forty-five percent of the students in there are athletes. That is way disproportionate for their number on campus, which was less than five percent who are athletes. Somehow they are being directed to those courses," Mitchell said. "There is, to my mind, a good deal of evidence that throughout this campus there were a large number of people, particularly in athletics, who knew that these courses did not amount to anything."

Not everybody swallows the Kool-Aid.

Like I posted yesterday afternoon, a few more references. (Hit some of the links on the WRAL site for more related info to keep you up to speed)

Updated 54 minutes ago+--UNC Scandal

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/02/...-to-weigh.html

http://www.wral.com/unc-system-panel...ndal/12077447/

Unfortunately, it sounds like the same old, same old, with the exception of a few people finally voicing their displeasure and believe that the athletic department is more involved than what the "report" seemed to indicate.

ricks

(Mods, please place in appropriate thread.)-------that obviously didn't happen, but then they can't be everywhere, and we all had a big game to concentrate on.

It's a sad day when a rumor from one "tweater" that an inappropriate chant was uttered by the Cameron Crazies gets more media attention than a full blown, evidenced backed academic/atheletic scandle does at UNC.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    It's a sad day when a rumor from one "tweater" that an inappropriate chant was uttered by the Cameron Crazies gets more media attention than a full blown, evidenced backed academic/atheletic scandle does at UNC.
    At the Dean Dome, there is only one chant . . . the obnoxious back and forth "tar" - "heels", which is now considered one of the most effective lullabies in the world, as it apparently can put thousands of people to sleep.

Not much chance of it being misunderstood, though. (Although if "past your bedtime" can be heard by someone to sound like something about a grandma, anything is possible.)

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    At the Dean Dome, there is only one chant . . . the obnoxious back and forth "tar" - "heels", which is now considered one of the most effective lullabies in the world, as it apparently can put thousands of people to sleep. ..
    Does deep rhythmic breathing (indicative of a peaceful nap) in unison from thousands of people qualify as a "chant?"

Things has the potential to really get ugly for UNC-CH.

In a strongly worded notice from its accrediting agency, UNC-Chapel Hill has been told that it must ensure the legitimacy of degrees awarded to an unknown number of graduates who took bogus classes going back to the 1990s.

The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools’ Commission on Colleges stopped short of suggesting that the degrees be voided. But the university “did not provide sufficient evidence that it had addressed the breaches of academic integrity” of degrees to students who took irregular African and Afro-American studies courses, wrote Belle Wheelan, SACS president, in a Jan. 15 letter to UNC-CH Chancellor Holden Thorp.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/02/...nts-clear.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Things has the potential to really get ugly for UNC-CH.

In a strongly worded notice from its accrediting agency, UNC-Chapel Hill has been told that it must ensure the legitimacy of degrees awarded to an unknown number of graduates who took bogus classes going back to the 1990s.

The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools’ Commission on Colleges stopped short of suggesting that the degrees be voided. But the university “did not provide sufficient evidence that it had addressed the breaches of academic integrity” of degrees to students who took irregular African and Afro-American studies courses, wrote Belle Wheelan, SACS president, in a Jan. 15 letter to UNC-CH Chancellor Holden Thorp.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/02/...nts-clear.html
    Could be. The description/analogy of the SACS letter as being "treated as seriously as a heart attack" is at least striking. I'd think UNC faculty grow more dismayed by the week. "You have to wonder who was asleep at the wheel." Indeed. Also, who was at the wheel? Not to mention, who didn't want to ask about who was at and asleep at the wheel?

Among other things, the SACS letter is implicitly pointing out that the Martin Report did not uncover the cover-up. Here's SACS President Wheelan's dagger-to-the-heart-attack: “Integrity. Honesty. Fairness. You know, all those things we like to think they learned as part of that academic program in the first place.” Ouch.

UNC faculty care about SACS accreditation. It's basic, fundamental, crucial.

Obviously, the BBall program is more important to the UNC higher-ups than academic reputation. I'm curious where they would draw the line if accrediting institutions actually threatened to strip the AFAM program? Anyone think this could actually happen? And if it does, would the NCAA be forced to act? I mean, how could a D1 school lose accreditation of a major program due to cheating and not face repercussions?

It is pretty clear we are starting to see that even if the NCAA and the UNC administration are not going to look into this, the folks who feel really wronged -- the ones who care about academics -- are not going to let this thing die.

It makes perfect sense if you think about it. A professor who requires his students do actual rigorous course work is going to be outraged when other students are allowed to get the exact same degree while not doing anything. Of course he is going to be outraged and see it as devaluing the education he worked so hard to provide. Similarly, an organization that pins its entire existence on guaranteeing the validity of an educational institution is not going to turn a blind eye to obvious, serious, academic malfeasance. It is the very purpose of an accreditation organization to ferrite this kind of thing out and ensure that schools deal with it properly.

The problem, as I see it, is that the solutions that professors and accreditation would seek do not involve punishments to the athletic programs. They are going to want stronger oversight going forward. So, I fear that the result of all this may be tougher academic requirements on UNC players in the future but no NCAA sanctions regarding what Carolina did in the past.

-Jason "sigh... I just can't believe the NCAA is ignoring this. It makes no sense to me" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?