Page 42 of 65 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Highsmith

Naturally, the UNC player involved has not missed one minute of playing time ... the instructor reported the allegation and it disappeared into the maw of the UNC bureaucracy (and, yes, I know about privacy laws -- but the instructor herself reports that there was no actiop).

For those interested, Highsmith was the 5th-grader ... er, I mean the wide receiver who caught the pass late, and fumbled -- the fumble that Gio Bernard picked up and advanced for the go-ahead touchdown.

And before him in the Pantheon of UNC Scholar-Athlete wide receivers, we have had such sages as Hakeem Nicks.
    These guys have absolutely no shame. If they have any standards, they are not discernible.

UNC academic fraud hits an all time low...

for now.

I'm sure they still have a few surprises coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    for now.

I'm sure they still have a few surprises coming up.
    It's not Halloween yet.

I've a law degree from UNC, and I can say without reservation that we were required to plagiarize at not less than the eleventh grade level.

A college-level essay on poultry farming?

What was this "communications" class at UNC-CH all about? Look at this material, are you kidding?? This is part of a college class? The UNC-CH president, provost, deans & everyone at that school should be utterly embarrassed by this (as well as all of the academic fraud issues).

First Highsmith's: "Poultry farming is raising of turkeys, ducks, chicken and other fowl for meat or eggs. Poultry farms can be breeding farms where they raise poultry for meat, or layer farms where they produce eggs. The 'best' breeds depend on what you want from them. Good egg layers are Rhode Island Reds [brown eggs] and Leghorns [white eggs]."

Now the 11-year-olds': "Poultry farming is raising chickens, turkeys, ducks and other fowl for meat or eggs. Poultry farms can be: 1. Breeding farms where they raise poultry for meat, or 2. Layer farms where they produce eggs."

Quote Originally Posted by BlueandWhite View Post
    What was this "communications" class at UNC-CH all about? Look at this material, are you kidding?? This is part of a college class? The UNC-CH president, provost, deans & everyone at that school should be utterly embarrassed by this (as well as all of the academic fraud issues).

First Highsmith's: "Poultry farming is raising of turkeys, ducks, chicken and other fowl for meat or eggs. Poultry farms can be breeding farms where they raise poultry for meat, or layer farms where they produce eggs. The 'best' breeds depend on what you want from them. Good egg layers are Rhode Island Reds [brown eggs] and Leghorns [white eggs]."

Now the 11-year-olds': "Poultry farming is raising chickens, turkeys, ducks and other fowl for meat or eggs. Poultry farms can be: 1. Breeding farms where they raise poultry for meat, or 2. Layer farms where they produce eggs."
    So, Highsmith got a 0 on the Blog part of the course because of plagiarism; that's 30%. I wonder what work the other 70% of the grade required because a blog is pretty trivial, because, like, you know, 11 year old kids do it.

And now a multiple choice question:

What do you think his grade would have been if the plagiarism hadn't been caught?
    A. A
    B. B
    C. Whatever keeps him eligible.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    So, Highsmith got a 0 on the Blog part of the course because of plagiarism; that's 30%. I wonder what work the other 70% of the grade required because a blog is pretty trivial, because, like, you know, 11 year old kids do it.

And now a multiple choice question:

What do you think his grade would have been if the plagiarism hadn't been caught?
    A. A
    B. B
    C. Whatever keeps him eligible.
    Well, we know he can tweet. Wonder how long before they shut that down?!?

Ducks? Admittedly, they are fowl. But as a lawyer practicing in eastern North Carolina, I'm afraid I have yet to run into many integrated duck farms. Maybe State's benefactor, Wendell Murphy, will crank up the duck farm concept.

I would have expected some new revelations from the recent records release by now...

hud

Quote Originally Posted by hudlow View Post
    I would have expected some new revelations from the recent records release by now...

hud
    Apparently having trouble with the translations into Swahili...

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Apparently having trouble with the translations into Swahili...

Ninyi ni wenye busara, ndugu yangu.

Quote Originally Posted by hudlow View Post
    Ninyi ni wenye busara, ndugu yangu.
    Kwenda jehanamu, Carolina, kwenda jehanamu!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Kwenda jehanamu, Carolina, kwenda jehanamu!
    Interesting. I got this for my translation back on 10/14 in the Status Check thread:

Kwenda jehanamu, carolina, kwenda kuzimu

We must have translated different dialects. Or gone to different classes. Or, maybe you actually went to class.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

N&O doesn't have much yet, but WRAL has a nice story:

http://m.wral.com/w/news-top/story/77477001/

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

-jk
    so the athletes claim to have been poorly educated by UNC on the topic of what is an impermissible benefit. per the ncaa's policy that an athlete doesn't need to be educated in college, only in high school, is this really UNC's fault?

Quote Originally Posted by bob blue devil View Post
    so the athletes claim to have been poorly educated by UNC on the topic of what is an impermissible benefit. per the ncaa's policy that an athlete doesn't need to be educated in college, only in high school, is this really UNC's fault?

If a college student shows up and is deficient in academic training they should have received in HS, they either put them in remedial sessions, or flunk them out and send them home. You could assume NCAA regulations would fall in the same category, especially because of the downside risk the school is undertaking by having clueless athletes getting the whole program in trouble.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

-jk
    Thats a pretty damning article actually. I have maintained all along they should have been hit with lack of institutional control, and this article just reaffirms that. These guys were getting all kinds of handouts from agents, runners, and others, and nobody was really hiding it. Chris Hawkins had free reign of the football facilities and was "taking care of all their needs" per his and their own words.

But Butch had no idea any of this was going on...

but all this stuff is history...right? all the punishment has been handed out....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Whistleblower comes forward inside UNC

This is really serious. The NCAA *has* to get involved.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/11/...-cheating.html