Page 30 of 65 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
    Boy, UNC is speaking for the NCAA now? I would like to hear Emmert & Co say whether they agree or not. If they agree, then NCAA = No Credibility At All

and this seems entirely appropriate to the situation - while being inappropriate!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSB7QpldGTQ
    [NSFW]

Here's what Emmert needs to say:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5QGk...1&feature=fvwp

[SFW]
    Last edited by cspan37421; 08-31-2012 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Just as a refresher

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/sites/...nrollments.pdf

...and the NCAA is OK with this? No record of the instructor listed or any instructor actually supervising the students, no record of anyone grading the work, yet grades magically appearing for 9 courses. Another 45 courses in which no instruction was provided?
    Obviously. Why wouldn't they be okay with it? Non student-athletes were unsupervised and given free grades in equal measure. So it is okay that the athletes in question played while they would have been otherwise ineligible, because they were just as ineligible as the regular students. Doesn't seem that complicated, right? Right?

... just incredible.

Just as a refresher

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/sites/...nrollments.pdf

...and the NCAA is OK with this? No record of the instructor listed or any instructor actually supervising the students, no record of anyone grading the work, yet grades magically appearing for 9 courses. Another 45 courses in which no instruction was provided?
    *Should* the NCAA be troubled by classes in which work was assigned, assignments were completed and grades were given? I can easily see why the irregular courses might not run afoul of NCAA rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    *Should* the NCAA be troubled by classes in which work was assigned, assignments were completed and grades were given? I can easily see why the irregular courses might not run afoul of NCAA rules.
    Not to nitpick, because I understand your point...but the NCAA should be troubled by courses in which no (or very limited) instruction was given and in which there was only one paper as a work product. That would trouble me. Although, I do concede this could just be seen as an easy A and not fraudulent...unless of course the syllabus for the course indicated a lecture course and additional assignments/tests and that syllabus was not followed.

As for the aberrant courses, we are talking about 9 courses, 59 students (50 of which were athletes, 85%) in which there is no record of an instructor teaching, no record of an instructor grading and yet grades were given. That should absolutely trouble the NCAA.

So it's not OK to get fake test scores to get in college to play athletics, but it is OK to get fake grades once in college to stay eligible to play athletics? Thanks for being there, NCAA.

Those athletes got what they paid for. Move along, nothing to see here..

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I wish I shared your optimism. Sounds to me like John Gotti after another mistrial . . . .
    They have to attempt to reassure prospective recruits, somehow...

Quote Originally Posted by Lennies View Post
    Those athletes got what they paid for. Move along, nothing to see here..
    Do you mean: "those athletes got paid, that's what they played for?"

Quote Originally Posted by hudlow View Post
    They have to attempt to reassure prospective recruits, somehow...
    Actually, I think its a huge recruiting advantage. Come to our school, do no classwork and we mail you a degree if you stay long enough.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    ugh....this is so irritating...they are gonna skate i'm telling you....somehow, they've cut a deal with the ncaa to cop to a some football stuff and have the entire investigation considered "complete" and "over"...

this it all gonna blow over...
    man, i HATE is when i'm right...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

NCAA fails miserably, turns a blind eye to UNC's academic misdeeds

From Michael Rosenberg at Sports Illustrated:

The NCAA looked at the UNC scandal and announced that, as in one of the fake UNC classes, there was nothing to see here. No NCAA rules were violated. Of course, Penn State didn't violate any NCAA rules either, but that is what we call a "technicality," Sorry you have to spend the next decade in the wilderness, Penn State. Bring a blanket and a Thermos.

I don't know how the NCAA can justify this. I don't understand why Penn State has to spend four years in the NCAA's intensive-care-unit for the abhorrent actions of a few former employees, while North Carolina gets a pass for its rampant academic fraud.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Devil_91_92_01_10 View Post
    As I see it, this scandal is an embarrassment to the UNC sports program, UNC academics, the ACC, and Duke by proxy.
    That wouldn't be a problem for Duke if UNC weren't in the ACC. Replace UNC with a school that has higher academic standards for their athletes... like maybe West Virginia (or UConn for sure). The smurfs would make a great rival for the Phoenix.

That is very sloppy reporting. The NCAA didn't announce anything. The story is that UNC announced that they have yet to be convicted.

Quote Originally Posted by ForkFondler View Post
    That wouldn't be a problem for Duke if UNC weren't in the ACC. Replace UNC with a school that has higher academic standards for their athletes... like maybe West Virginia (or UConn for sure). The smurfs would make a great rival for the Phoenix.
    Maybe Nova can join the ACC to replace unc.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Maybe Nova can join the ACC to replace unc.
    That's just silly. They don't even have a football team. But still, there's McGill.

I don't know... maybe, just maybe this rather brazen attempt to pull the "Nothing to see here, move along, move along" scam will end up resulting in the very opposite effect - more moral pressure being placed on the NCAA by outraged prominent outside media sources to actually re-enter the picture and do something about it. One can but hope...

Two points...

1) We already knew that the NCAA felt it had punished Carolina for the stuff that dated back to 2007 as part of the initial football penalties. I am in no way surprised at this statement. Emmert told us a few weeks ago that as far as he was concerned, the stuff that went back to 2007 had already been revealed.

2) The independent investigation may produce results that make the NCAA change its stance. UNC has already hinted that it expects the Indy Invest to find that the academic fraud went back prior to 2007. Once the Indy Invest is released, that is when I would expect the NCAA to either take some action or decide to do nothing.

I expect an avalanche of outraged columns and media pressure on the NCAA if the NCAA does nothing once the independent investigation is done. If nothing else, writers from towns that have seen teams recently punished, like Penn St, Ohio St, and USC, are going to be asking why their schools got hammered and UNC got off scott free.

-Jason "as you may recall, my tune changed on this when Emmert said he felt the post-2007 info was nothing new... and I still think the odds are excellent that he will do nothing unless the Indy Invest comes back with a lot more evidence" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Not to nitpick, because I understand your point...but the NCAA should be troubled by courses in which no (or very limited) instruction was given and in which there was only one paper as a work product. That would trouble me. Although, I do concede this could just be seen as an easy A and not fraudulent...unless of course the syllabus for the course indicated a lecture course and additional assignments/tests and that syllabus was not followed.

As for the aberrant courses, we are talking about 9 courses, 59 students (50 of which were athletes, 85%) in which there is no record of an instructor teaching, no record of an instructor grading and yet grades were given. That should absolutely trouble the NCAA.
    At least they did the non-work themselves. It would only be a problem if someone else did the non-work for them or, heaven forbid, they plagiarized the non-work.

I think after the "hot start" to the season; dropping a game to Tennessee, we will see wolf-pack nation turn its attention BACK to harassing UNC. At least until they manage to string a few impressive win together.

The righteous indignation exhibited on IC and PP has to be read to be believed. Each side sees the other as the spawn of Satan. Posters are digging up personal information and placing it on the sites. Not surprisingly, some have been shown the cyber door.