Page 3 of 65 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jdj4duke View Post
    I have in my family a brother, a sister, a nephew, a brother-in-law, and a sister-in-law all with undergrad degrees from over yonder, and another nephew who is currently an undergrad. I have another sister and brother-in-law with postgrad degrees, and that particular bro'-in-law is from a family who have given untold riches to UNC, and who are lifetime Rams Clubbers. Sometimes I feel like the Kuwaiti army facing the Iragi invasion.

I laughed at the post talking about being ostracized at family gatherings for being a Duke fan, since these Rams Clubbers at one holiday party told me that I should stay on the other side of the room since I went to Duke.They were dead serious. At least my brother-in-law even found that appalling and told his parents that they should not act so stupid.

NONE of them though seems the least bit exercised over any of the academic questions and the most rabid of the group basically will not even admit to knowing about it. I find that preposterous (but probably not unusual) since every freaking piece of clothing in most of their wardrobes is that other blue. Therefore, I assume that the UNC faculty not rising in unison is really not surprising, since there has not and won't be any kind of hue and cry from the alums or the most ardent fans. Why would a French or history professor make a public fuss over what to even a casual observer appears to be some sort of academic shenanigans? I suppose from an inherent sense of outrage, ethics or responsibility, but that may not be enough shield from the ostracism certain to come from all parts of the university community. Bookish folks just ain't sportish folks, you know.

I have for years been scrupulous about not provoking any of these sheep, and gave up in the 1980's ever mentioning a Duke win. I go out of my way to compliment how wonderful their teams and university are, and it doesn't do a damn bit of good. UNC wins, my phone lights up with all manner of nonsense. Duke wins, and it's because Dick Vitale called the game.

Academic note or recognition for Duke? Never mind, since everyone there is from New York or New Jersey, and we are dweebs and the Duke girls are ugly anyway.

It's just ceaseless.

I also echo the comments about their lack of respect for ANY other team or university (think I posted something on this a while ago as well). Nothing is ever their fault, they were always cheated, somebody was hurt, the refs are paid off, the buffalo no longer roam the prairies, their socks were too thick, or the Italian trains were on strike. No other university has ever done anything worthy of note, acknowledgment, or positive comment. I am not sure how that DNA gets coded, but it's hard to miss the manifestations.

Yeah, the Carolina Way is pretty amusing at the moment: dodge, deflect, blame voodoo, obfuscate, or ignore, but do it from a very high perch. Generally pride goeth before a fall and all that, but one would think that every now and then one of them would actually hit the ground.
    Clearly, the post of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by jdj4duke View Post
    I have in my family a brother, a sister, a nephew, a brother-in-law, and a sister-in-law all with undergrad degrees from over yonder, and another nephew who is currently an undergrad. I have another sister and brother-in-law with postgrad degrees, and that particular bro'-in-law is from a family who have given untold riches to UNC, and who are lifetime Rams Clubbers. Sometimes I feel like the Kuwaiti army facing the Iragi invasion.
    67_513740318134_4863_n.jpg

Kidding aside, I greatly admire your willingness and ability to take the higher road, again and again. Thanks for sharing your story.

UNC seriously needs to consider moving to the SEC... seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    UNC seriously needs to consider moving to the SEC... seriously.
    Shouldn't we wait a bit until we see where the scandal leads? unc may not have the academic credibility to make it in the SEC!

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Shouldn't we wait a bit until we see where the scandal leads? unc may not have the academic credibility to make it in the SEC!
    Good point. I think they should just dissolve the university.

Burn all the buildings and sow the ground with salt. That'll show them. Then it can be, truly, The Dump of the Hump!

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Burn all the buildings and sow the ground with salt. That'll show them. Then it can be, truly, The Dump of the Hump!
    Now now, Indoor, mustn't come across on a whole 'nother level of distaste!!!
    You might offend someone!
    Maybe the "Stump on the Hump" might sound more apropos after the conflagration.

I'll bring the marshmallows and cognac.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Now now, Indoor, mustn't come across on a whole 'nother level of distaste!!!
    You might offend someone!
    Maybe the "Stump on the Hump" might sound more apropos after the conflagration.

I'll bring the marshmallows and cognac.
    I might even take a swig of that cognac for that event.

They could be the Chicago of the South; dissolve the university and keep the athletic programs.

Quote Originally Posted by ForkFondler View Post
    They could be the Chicago of the South; dissolve the university and keep the athletic programs.
    "Chapel Hill Community College"

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Newly released emails and documentation detail the tutor (Jennifer Wiley) writing the bulk of some term paper assignments for the players, as well as players receiving improper benefits. One player had a requirement to write a 10 page paper but could only come up with 2.5 pages. Wiley writes in an email that she had "expanded" the paper to 8.5 pages, so he only had "1.5 more pages to go".

UNC released the redacted documents today after local media outlets had filed public records lawsuits. The reports also show UNC spent about $70K on lawyer fees during the 2010 NCAA investigation.

NBC-17 News Report

Wow, thanks for the link Newt, this is big news. Count me as one who will gladly watch UNC go down in flames. As long as they don't vacate that 82-50 loss from 2010. That was one of my favorite moments of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Newly released emails and documentation detail the tutor (Jennifer Wiley) writing the bulk of some term paper assignments for the players, as well as players receiving improper benefits. One player had a requirement to write a 10 page paper but could only come up with 2.5 pages. Wiley writes in an email that she had "expanded" the paper to 8.5 pages, so he only had "1.5 more pages to go".

UNC released the redacted documents today after local media outlets had filed public records lawsuits. The reports also show UNC spent about $70K on lawyer fees during the 2010 NCAA investigation.

NBC-17 News Report
    Excellent, thanks for the link. For those of us outside of The Triangle, links like this are invaluable!

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Wow, thanks for the link Newt, this is big news. Count me as one who will gladly watch UNC go down in flames. As long as they don't vacate that 82-50 loss from 2010. That was one of my favorite moments of all time.
    As I understand it, only wins are vacated

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong.
    You are not...and good thing...they had quite a few losses that year...so we can think of it as a less severe punishment that they hardly have any wins to vacate!
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong.
    I think they change the score to 82 - 0. Which ain't much different.

UNC = University of No Character!

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    UNC = University of No Character!
    Ultimately Not Compliant.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Who cares if they vacate it? We still have recordings to watch of that game (and to show UNC fans the beautiful sight)

Hey folks,

Long time lurker, first time DBR poster here. I know this thread has changed course but I wanted to touch on some of the things that Nepos was bringing up earlier re: the interconnectedness of the two schools. As a life-long Duke fan (grew up in Durham the son of a Duke grad) who recently finished a professional degree at Carolina, I am just one of many, many people with legit affiliations to both schools, though not as strong perhaps as pals (and classmates) of mine with degrees from both places. I guess what really gets my goat about the Carolina culture is the extent to which anything Duke is cast as totally anathema, alien, "northern" when the symbiotic nature of the schools and the similarities (socioeconomically, if not always geographically) of the student bodies are pretty obvious, really, to anyone *from* the Triangle.

During my time at UNC, I was vocal about my affinity for the dark blue, and it caused some testy convos here and there, but mostly I was able to be cordial and have yuks with the other basketball nuts in the program. That said, I felt like certain individuals felt saw it as their right and duty as good stewards of the Carolina name to be downright nasty to me re: my Blue Devils. Admittedly, I may have, at times, made my bed, but having certain persons smirk at me/laugh in my face about player injuries (i.e. Kyrie) was way outta line and left me crying the driest of crocodile tears when Marshall broke his wrist, knee injuries happened, etc.

I disagree that this scandal in anyway taints the reputation of my degree from Carolina or somehow blows back on Duke's academic credentials, but that's just me. At the end of the day I do believe that this all mess has the potential to happen at any school involved in major revenue sports, and further underscores the often comic student-athlete proposition.

All that aside, as a Duke fan, I hope this hits the UNC basketball program and the snide Heels fans I've had to deal with throughout my life HARD. Its a weird compartmentalized world I live in with respect to UNC, but the Blue Devils fan in me wants to see those 05 and 09 come down!

sircyclops